PIL for py3k not picking up external libraries

Collin Day

Hi all,

I am using python 3.2 on an amd64 Gentoo system. I was trying to
compile an unofficial version of PIL to work in 3.2 that I found here:

http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs

Anyway, when I run the setup.py to compile the source, it doesn't pick
up tkinter, zlib, or freetype. When I use pdb to step through the code
where it is looking for libraries (for example zlib here), I make it all
the way into unixcompiler.py:
/usr/lib64/python3.2/distutils/unixccompiler.py(318)find_library_file()
-> shared_f = self.library_filename(lib, lib_type='shared')
which returns 'libz.cpython-32.so' or 'libtcl8.5.cpython-32.py',
depending on what it is looking for.

If I step in further to ccompiler.py

"")
881 fmt = getattr(self, lib_type + "_lib_format")
882 ext = getattr(self, lib_type + "_lib_extension")
883
884 -> dir, base = os.path.split(libname)
885 filename = fmt % (base, ext)

The extension returns .cpython-32.so

I have a lot of these extensions for site packages, but how do I
generate libraries compatible with this for say tkinter, zlib, etc. For
example, I see libtcl8.5.so, but no libtcl8.5.cpython-32.so.

Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Thanks!