Pictures and graphics

Helpful person

I'm looking for a good (preferably free) picture manager for pictures
and graphics that I wish to post on the web. I presently use a
combination of Corel Draw 10, Microsoft Paint and Microsoft Office
Picture Manager. These are just adequate but are not really good
tools. Any suggestions?

www.richardfisher.com

Jonathan N. Little

Helpful said:
I'm looking for a good (preferably free) picture manager for pictures
and graphics that I wish to post on the web. I presently use a
combination of Corel Draw 10, Microsoft Paint and Microsoft Office
Picture Manager. These are just adequate but are not really good
tools. Any suggestions?

What kind of "management" are you looking for?

David Segall

Jonathan N. Little said:
What kind of "management" are you looking for?

What kinds of management are available? I currently use the "managers"
that came with Picassa and my scanner. Apart from the irritating Adobe
Photo Downloader that intervenes every time I connect my mobile phone
to my computer they all seem similar. What features might I look for?

SAZ

Just editing (cropping mainly), compression, file conversion, adding
transparency. Fairly simple stuff.

www.richardfisher.com
Photoshop is the best, but very expensive.

If not for the transparency issue, I would suggest Xnview or Irfanview.
They are both free, fast and easy to use.

For one free program that will do everything, try The Gimp.

Jonathan N. Little

Well, Your CroelDraw10 has PHOTO-Paint, no? PHOTO-Paint has always been
my preference over Photoshop.

If you want a simple convention tool, your cannot paint edit, but crop,
filter, convert and has programmable batch operations then I would
recommend freeware IrfanView

Raymond Schmit

Photoshop is the best, but very expensive.

If not for the transparency issue, I would suggest Xnview or Irfanview.
They are both free, fast and easy to use.

For one free program that will do everything, try The Gimp.

If you save in .gif, Irfanview ask you which color must be used for
the transparency color.

Nik Coughlin

Helpful person said:
I'm looking for a good (preferably free) picture manager for pictures
and graphics that I wish to post on the web. I presently use a
combination of Corel Draw 10, Microsoft Paint and Microsoft Office
Picture Manager. These are just adequate but are not really good
tools. Any suggestions?

www.richardfisher.com

Paint .NET is quite nice and straightforward

Jan C. Faerber

Just editing (cropping mainly), compression, file conversion, adding
transparency.  Fairly simple stuff.

After a brief look at OpenOffice.org Draw I decided to post it aswell.
I found an export feature and there should be much more.

Travis Newbury

I'm looking for a good (preferably free) picture manager for pictures
and graphics that I wish to post on the web.  I presently use a
combination of Corel Draw 10, Microsoft Paint and Microsoft Office
Picture Manager.  These are just adequate but are not really good
tools.  Any suggestions?

www.richardfisher.com

For images google "Free stock images" you will find several sites that
offer free images. My favorite being: http://www.sxc.hu/index.phtml

For image editing/manipulation. The best (disputably) is Photoshop,
but free would be gimp, irfanview, or google "free imaging software"
and you will find a ton of them.

dorayme

Travis Newbury said:
For images google "Free stock images" you will find several sites that
offer free images. My favorite being: http://www.sxc.hu/index.phtml

For image editing/manipulation. The best (disputably) is Photoshop,
but free would be gimp, irfanview, or google "free imaging software"
and you will find a ton of them.

Macromedia Fireworks should be mentioned too, an older version would be
cheap to buy and this software is very good for preparing pictures for
the web. Much better than the clunky web provisions in most earlier
versions of Photoshop - don't know about later than the first CS)