Placing a caret on the screen

Davo

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out how to place a blinking caret on a web page
(without a text box etc.). How do writeley and so on do it?

The only way I can figure out is to find the dom position and insert a
blinking image at the position in the dom, is this the way to do it or is
there an easier way?

tia,
Davo

VK

Davo said:
Hello all,

I'm trying to figure out how to place a blinking caret on a web page
(without a text box etc.). How do writeley and so on do it?

The only way I can figure out is to find the dom position and insert a
blinking image at the position in the dom, is this the way to do it or is
there an easier way?

It depends on what are you actually doing. Is it a input="text"
emulation using <span> or <div>?

plato

You can put the caret inside a <span> tag and use JavaScript's
manipulation of CSS to alternately hide and display the <span> after a
delay. For instance, display, wait 1 second, hide, wait 1 second.
Lather, rinse repeat.

Davo

Not really sure yet, I'm seeking opinions as to the best way to do it. What
difference does having a span or div have?

thanks,
Davo