pointer plus an integer

Ivan K.

I am looking at some legacy code, which begins by
allocating a double matrix with the dmatrix()
function from NRC as follows:

double **A, **augin, **augout, **aa;

A = dmatrix(1, MAXNSTU+1, 1, MAXCOV+MAXCOVLOC+3);
aa = dmatrix(1, MAXNSTU+1, 1, MAXCOV+MAXCOVLOC+3);
augin = dmatrix(1, MAXNSTU+1, 1, MAXCOV+MAXCOVLOC+3+MAXSIMS);
augout = dmatrix(1, MAXNSTU+1, 1, MAXCOV+MAXCOVLOC+3+MAXSIMS);

/* ... */

The dmatrix() function is appended below.

At some point in the program, these lines occur.

/* adjust indices rather than reallocate */
for(i=2;i<=nnonm;i++) A = A[i-1] + total + addcol;
for(i=2;i<=nnonm;i++) aa = aa[i-1] + total + addcol;
for(i=2;i<=nnonm;i++) augin = augin[i-1] + total + addcol + 1 +
nsims;
for(i=2;i<=nnonm;i++) augout = augout[i-1] + total + addcol + 1
+ nsims;

and it looks to me that what is going on here is that as A, aa,
augin, and augout are pointers to double dimensioned arrays, then
A is a pointer to a single array and the statement
"A[i-1] + total + addcol" is adding an integer to
a pointer to an array.

Is this correct? If so, what is happening
when one adds an integer to a pointer to an array?

Thank you for your help;
Ivan;

double **dmatrix( long nrl, long nrh, long ncl, long nch)
/* allocate a double matrix with subscript range m[nrl..nrh][ncl..nch]
*/
{
long i, nrow=nrh-nrl+1,ncol=nch-ncl+1;
double **m;

/* allocate pointers to rows */
m=(double **) malloc((unsigned int)((nrow
+NR_END)*sizeof(double*)));
if (!m) nrerror("allocation failure 1 in matrix()");
m += NR_END;
m -= nrl;

/* allocate rows and set pointers to them */
m[nrl]=(double *) malloc((unsigned int)((nrow*ncol+NR_END)*sizeof
(double)));
if (!m[nrl]) nrerror("allocation failure 2 in matrix()");
m[nrl] += NR_END;
m[nrl] -= ncl;

for(i=nrl+1;i<=nrh;i++) m=m[i-1]+ncol;

/* return pointer to array of pointers to rows */
return m;

Jack Klein

[...]

No, that isn't correct. A is not a pointer to a "double dimensioned
array". A is not a pointer to any sort of array.

A is exactly what it is defined to be, namely a pointer to (one or
more) pointer(s) to (one or more) double(s).
[...]

}

This is hideous code, it looks like somebody tried translating FORTRAN
to C, with the indices beginning at 1 instead of 0. And once the
pointers have been modified, they can't be free()'d, so the program
almost certainly creates a huge memory leak.

Adding an integer to a pointer to any complete type works exactly the
same way. The integer is scaled by the size of the type pointed to,
in this case sizeof double. The result of the addition is still a
pointer to double, and still not any kind of array.

For a simple illustration, let's forget about how the memory is
allocated and assume that A is a pointer to two pointers to double,
and each one of them points to three doubles.

A[0] points to 1.0, 2.0, 3.0
A[1] points to 4.0, 5.0, 6.0

Now if we execute the statement:

A[1] = A[0] + 1;

....then A[1] now points to 2.0, 3.0.

As long as the new value of A[1] is not use to access past the end of
the original allocation, all is well. That is, A[1][0] and A[1][1]
are accessible, but A[2] is past the end of the allocated memory.

But there is now no way to free() the allocated memory that A[1]
originally pointed to, unless a copy of the original pointer was saved
somewhere else.

--
Jack Klein
Home: http://JK-Technology.Com

Ernie Wright

Jack said:
I am looking at some legacy code, which begins by
allocating a double matrix with the dmatrix()
function from NRC as follows:

double **A, **augin, **augout, **aa;

A = dmatrix(1, MAXNSTU+1, 1, MAXCOV+MAXCOVLOC+3);
aa = dmatrix(1, MAXNSTU+1, 1, MAXCOV+MAXCOVLOC+3);
augin = dmatrix(1, MAXNSTU+1, 1, MAXCOV+MAXCOVLOC+3+MAXSIMS);
augout = dmatrix(1, MAXNSTU+1, 1, MAXCOV+MAXCOVLOC+3+MAXSIMS);

/* ... */

The dmatrix() function is appended below.

At some point in the program, these lines occur.

/* adjust indices rather than reallocate */
for(i=2;i<=nnonm;i++) A = A[i-1] + total + addcol;
for(i=2;i<=nnonm;i++) aa = aa[i-1] + total + addcol;
for(i=2;i<=nnonm;i++) augin = augin[i-1] + total + addcol + 1 + nsims;
for(i=2;i<=nnonm;i++) augout = augout[i-1] + total + addcol + 1 + nsims;

The first part creates matrices of maximum size.

The second part fiddles with pointers to make the matrices appear to be
some other (smaller) size, presumably the actual size needed at that
point in the code.

This is a common Fortran idiom. It's unnecessary in C, since you can
allocate exactly the amount of memory you need at run time. In Fortran,
an array of fixed maximum size has to be created at compile time.
and it looks to me that what is going on here is that as A, aa,
augin, and augout are pointers to double dimensioned arrays, then
A is a pointer to a single array and the statement
"A[i-1] + total + addcol" is adding an integer to
a pointer to an array.

Is this correct?

Pretty much, except that the terminology is wrong. But let's ignore the
terminology problem for a minute.

Adding an integer to a pointer increments the pointer. If p points to
the first element in an array, then p + 2 points to the third element.

A simplified, pseudocode version of what happens in dmatrix() would be

double **A;

A = malloc( storage for row pointers );
A[ 0 ] = malloc( enough memory for the entire 2D array );
A[ 1 ] = A[ 0 ] + ( the number of doubles in one row );
A[ 2 ] = A[ 1 ] + ( the number of doubles in one row );

A[0] points to the start of the memory block. A[n] points to the start
of the n-th row.

The part of the code after the dmatrix() calls just sets the A[n]'s
using a different number of doubles per row.
No, that isn't correct. A is not a pointer to a "double dimensioned
array". A is not a pointer to any sort of array.

A is exactly what it is defined to be, namely a pointer to (one or
more) pointer(s) to (one or more) double(s).

Well, OK, but does that add to or subtract from the OP's confusion?
Conceptually, A is not *merely* a pointer to a pointer to double. In
this context, it denotes a dynamically allocated 2D "array," except that
maybe we can't, strictly speaking, call it that. What can we call it?

In K&R2, we have references like (5.9):

Given the definitions

int a[10][20];
int *b[10];

....For b, however, the definition only allocates 10 pointers and
does not initialize them; initialization must be done explicitly,
either statically or with code. Assuming that each element of b
does point to a twenty-element array...

So K&R were OK with saying that b[n] is a pointer to an array.
double **dmatrix( long nrl, long nrh, long ncl, long nch)
/* allocate a double matrix with subscript range m[nrl..nrh][ncl..nch] */

This is hideous code, it looks like somebody tried translating FORTRAN
to C,

That's precisely what it is. This is adapted from a utility function
by the same name in the first edition of Numerical Recipes in C,

http://www.nr.com/

which was a straight translation to K&R C from the original Numerical
Recipes written in Fortran.
with the indices beginning at 1 instead of 0.

Actually, the row indices will range between nrl and nrh, and the column
indices will range between ncl and nch. Fortran allows you to specify
any minimum and maximum integer index when you declare an array.
And once the pointers have been modified, they can't be free()'d, so
the program almost certainly creates a huge memory leak.

Only one block of memory is allocated per matrix. The pointer to it is
stored as the pointer to the first row, which isn't modified in the
fiddling with the pointers, and recovered later in a matching call to
free_dmatrix(), which must also take nrl as an argument so that it can
undo the indexing offset.

It's still hideous, but it only leaks if they forget to free_dmatrix(),
or (possibly) if they pass it the wrong nrl.

- Ernie http://home.comcast.net/~erniew

JimS

[...]

It looks like sample code from Numerical Recipes in C.
To get an array indexed from 1-10 instead of 0-9 they do

double *m = malloc(10* sizeof *m);
m -= 1;

Of course, that's undefined behaviour.

Jim

Wade Ward

Jack Klein said:
[...]

It's equally or more hideous as fortran. I'm guessing matlab or something.

James Kuyper Jr.

Jack said:
[...]

Correct. That's exactly the historical development of the NRC (Numerical
Recipes in C) library. I've translated a fair number of their
"Fortran-inspired C" routines into "native C" style; the effort was
significant; avoiding off-by-one errors in loops required constant
vigilance - I can understand why someone not very familiar with C might
have chosen this awful work-around to avoid having to do that same work.

But someone not very familiar with C shouldn't have been writing
"Numerical Recipes in C". I own the book, and I find it very useful, but
only because it contains detailed information about a lot of algorithms
that are relevant to my interests; not because the source code is well
written.
And once the
pointers have been modified, they can't be free()'d, so the program
almost certainly creates a huge memory leak.

The Numerical Recipes library provides routines for both allocating and
deallocating arrays built in this style. It's precisely as easy to
forget to call the array deallocation function as it is to forget to
call free(). I don't see any increased risk of a memory leak.

Wade Ward

James Kuyper Jr. said:
Jack said:
[...]

No, incorrect. This pointer-infested slop was never fortran.

The fortran would look more like:
real, allocatable :: A:),:)
allocate (A(rows,columns))
But someone not very familiar with C shouldn't have been writing
"Numerical Recipes in C". I own the book, and I find it very useful, but
only because it contains detailed information about a lot of algorithms
that are relevant to my interests; not because the source code is well
written.

The Numerical Recipes library provides routines for both allocating and
deallocating arrays built in this style. It's precisely as easy to forget
to call the array deallocation function as it is to forget to call free().
I don't see any increased risk of a memory leak.
In fortran, the common C extension, all you need to do is:
deallocate (A)
, no free's, malloc's or leaks.

Ben Pfaff

Ernie Wright said:
It looks like sample code from Numerical Recipes in C.
[...]
double *m = malloc(10* sizeof *m);
m -= 1;

Of course, that's undefined behaviour.

The book was written before C89.

The latest edition has a discussion of the issue and a fix for
the code, although the authors do not exactly take a
comp.lang.c-approved attitude toward it.

Wade Ward

Ernie Wright said:
That's Fortran 90. The original Numerical Recipes was written using
Fortran 77.
The biggest attraction to f77 was the dynamically allocatable array, at
least so says Richard Maine. If that was originally f77, the author clearly
was not using the strength of the syntax. Hideous code is somehow a
metasyntactic constant.

Wade Ward

Ben Pfaff said:
Ernie Wright said:
It looks like sample code from Numerical Recipes in C.
[...]
double *m = malloc(10* sizeof *m);
m -= 1;

Of course, that's undefined behaviour.

The book was written before C89.

The latest edition has a discussion of the issue and a fix for
the code, although the authors do not exactly take a
comp.lang.c-approved attitude toward it.
If the authors *ever* approved of that code, it would be proof of their own
incompetence.

char a[]="\n .CJacehknorstu";int putchar(int);int main(void)
{unsigned long b[]
=b,i=24;
for(;p+=!*p;*p/=4)
switch(0[p]&3)case 0:

{
system("pause");
return 0;for(p--;i--;i--)case+
2:{i++;if(i)break;else default:continue;if(0)case 1:putchar(a[i&15]);
break;}}}

James Kuyper Jr.

Wade said:
No, incorrect. This pointer-infested slop was never fortran.

I didn't say that it was. That pointer-infested slop was created during
the translation process from Fortran to C, apparently by someone far
more familiar with Fortran than with C. It's a clever, but fundamentally
misguided, attempt to create something in C that can be used in a manner
similar to Fortran arrays, thereby simplifying the translation of
Fortran code which indexed those "arrays".

The cost of this design decision was that it made the code hard to
understand for more experienced C programmers, and added in unnecessary
complexity related to allocation and deallocation of those arrays.
The fortran would look more like:
real, allocatable :: A:),:)

I have a fair amount of experience with Fortran, but it ended a long
time ago, before I ever used a compiler supporting the features you're
using in that statement. I strongly suspect that the original Fortran
version of the Numerical Recipes library also pre-dates those features;
or at least, was written to be backwardly compatible with compilers that
did not yet support them.

Wade Ward

James Kuyper Jr. said:
[...]

That's probably a fair run-down on what happened.

Wade Ward

Ernie Wright said:
You're misremembering what he said, or he misspoke. f77 doesn't have
allocatable arrays. It doesn't even have lowercase source.
f77 is fixed-form, where source needs to be in a certain column or face
terrible consequences. I've only seen it as upper-case, and it looks like
shouting. f90 allowed free-form, with much more-relaxed rules for
appearance. I don't think I remember wrongly about Richard's reasons for
using f77, and he seems to be a walking fortran encyclopedia.

f2003 allows interoperabiltiy with C, but there is no full-fledged compiler
yet available. I don't know where the rub is, as far as getting a compliant
implementation (I use f95). If I had to guess, I would say it's with the
object-oriented stuff. There's also head-scratchers with C interop. People
are constructively discussing issues having to do with f2008.

Wade Ward

[snipped from elsewhere]
You can't. Fortran doesn't do that - not even with the C interop stuff.
Of course,you can always play around with TRANSFER, but recall that the
standard says that the resulting values are undefined when you type
cheat with TRANSFER. And you can do it in C.

You can't do it portably in C, either. I believe you can memcpy() in
to an (unsigned char *) and back again. If sizeof(int) >= sizeof(void*)
you might be able to do the cast, but the use of the value of the
int is non-portable. Those writing large model x86 code, and
who try to do such casts, know all about this one.
I suppose you are trying to use a structure constructor here. You can't
do that with C_PTR as it has (intentionally) private components. The
whole point of private components is to keep you from fiddling with the
innards. You can't write a structure constructor for a private component
- you don't even know what the components are. Now maybe you know what a
C pointer better look like inside, but accordingh to the Fortran
compiler, you don't know.

From K&R2 (close, but not exactly, the C89 standard) A6.6:

"Certain other conversions involving pointers and integers are
permitted, but have implementation defined aspects. They must
be specified by an explicit type-conversion operator, or cast."

"A pointer may be converted to an integral type large enough to
hold it; the required size is implementation-dependent. The
mapping function is also implementation dependent."

"An object of integral type may be explicitly converted to a
pointer. The mapping always carries a sufficiently wide integer
converted from a pointer back to the same pointer, but is
otherwise implementation-dependent."

Can someone in the know comment on the above?

Ernie Wright

Wade said:
f77 is fixed-form, where source needs to be in a certain column or face
terrible consequences. I've only seen it as upper-case, and it looks like
shouting. f90 allowed free-form, with much more-relaxed rules for
appearance.

Yeah, I know all that. Fortran was my second language, and f77 was the
language used in my first computer science course in college.

It didn't have allocatable arrays.
I don't think I remember wrongly about Richard's reasons for
using f77, and he seems to be a walking fortran encyclopedia.

There's no reason to guess. Plenty of websites list the major features
added to f90.

Ernie Wright said:
Wade Ward wrote:
Yeah, I know all that. Fortran was my second language, and f77 was the
language used in my first computer science course in college.
Me too. We didn't get very far with the material.
It didn't have allocatable arrays.

There's no reason to guess. Plenty of websites list the major features
added to f90.
Yeah, you're right. I wonder if I remember wrong or Richard mistyped....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fortran#FORTRAN_77

David Thompson

The first part creates matrices of maximum size.

The second part fiddles with pointers to make the matrices appear to be
some other (smaller) size, presumably the actual size needed at that
point in the code.

This is a common Fortran idiom. It's unnecessary in C, since you can
allocate exactly the amount of memory you need at run time. In Fortran,
an array of fixed maximum size has to be created at compile time.
<OT> It was necessary in early versions of the language then known as
FORTRAN (all caps). Since the 1990 version, when the name was changed
to Fortran, you can have local (non-COMMON, non-SAVEd) arrays with
size determined at routine entry, much like the VLA types added to C
in C99, somewhat confusing called 'automatic'; and also 'allocatable'
arrays which are dynamically allocated to a runtime-computable size,
and deallocated etc., like C malloc&friends except that the bounds are
automatically remembered for you and used, and it never leaks (since
some minor fixes in F95 IIRC), although there are some contexts you
can't use allocatable until post-F95 (a TR to F95, folded into F03).

<snip rest>