poll

Larry

Uri said:
R> Check out my latest poll,
R> http://pubweb.csf.edu/~robin/reachcac/reach/cgi-bin/poll.cgi
R> -Robin

where is the 'robin is an idiot' selection?

Is such hostility and arrogance common in this forum? I sure hope not but
recent discussions I've read are proving it to be true.
what does this have to do with perl? i see no perl code in there or in
your post.

Just because you do not see the code does not mean that it is not there.
Obviously it is written in perl given that it is a cgi file. Robin is
probably just showing an example of his or her work. There's no need for
an attack.

Uri Guttman

L> Is such hostility and arrogance common in this forum? I sure hope
L> not but recent discussions I've read are proving it to be true.

not really. but sometimes somethings deserve a good smacking.

L> Just because you do not see the code does not mean that it is not
L> there. Obviously it is written in perl given that it is a cgi
L> file. Robin is probably just showing an example of his or her
L> work. There's no need for an attack.

bah! CGI ne Perl. please learn that before you learn another perl
thing. cgi is a way for a web server to run programs on behalf of a web
query. said programs can be written in ANY language. perl just happens
to be a very popular langauge for that. do you also think the net is
only the web?

as for the OP, this is a perl newsgroup and not a cgi one. if she asked
a perl question or posted perl code along with that, it would have been
fine. but showing just the poll page is useless and i still call it
dumb. it is not an attack on her but on the post itself.

uri

Larry

Uri said:
bah! CGI ne Perl. please learn that before you learn another perl
thing. cgi is a way for a web server to run programs on behalf of a web
query. said programs can be written in ANY language. perl just happens
to be a very popular langauge for that.

I realize that and recognize that my choice of words was poor.
do you also think the net is only the web?

You mean there's more to net than just AOL? LOL! I've been involved with
various aspects of the internet for many years now.
if she asked a perl question or posted perl code along with that, it would
have been fine. but showing just the poll page is useless and i still call
it dumb. it is not an attack on her but on the post itself.

Agreed.

Keith Keller

Tom

do you also think the net is only the web?
You mean there's more to net than just AOL? LOL! I've been involved with
various aspects of the internet for many years now.
He's talking about the Internet as a whole...there are other webs besides
the internet.

Jürgen Exner

Larry wrote:
[...]
Just because you do not see the code does not mean that it is not
there. Obviously it is written in perl given that it is a cgi file.

How did you come to that illusion?

jue

Tad McClellan

Larry said:
Is such hostility and arrogance common in this forum?

If you lurk for awhile you will be able to decide for yourself.

Obviously it is written in perl given that it is a cgi file.

That is an absurd conclusion.

You have a serious misunderstanding of the technologies involved
if you think that that is true.

You can use just about any programming language that you choose for
writing CGI programs.

There's no need for
an attack.

Making off-topic posts is reason for an attack in any newsgroup,
there is nothing specific to clp.misc in it.

Making an off-topic post is universally seen as being rude.

Be prepared to reap what you sow.

Uri Guttman

and the OP write to me directly.

R> yeah, but where's a good cgi newsgroup, seriously?

have you looked? asked google? did you scan your newsserver for groups
with cgi in their name?

why did you write me? why didn't you ask this in the group?

why am i asking these questions?

why am i here?

why is there air? (5 points if you answer that correctly).

uri

Robin

and can u give me a free shell account if I figure out why is there air?
thanks,
-robin
Uri Guttman said:
and the OP write to me directly.

R> yeah, but where's a good cgi newsgroup, seriously?

have you looked? asked google? did you scan your newsserver for groups
with cgi in their name?

why did you write me? why didn't you ask this in the group?

why am i asking these questions?

why am i here?

why is there air? (5 points if you answer that correctly).

uri
http://jobs.perl.org

Uri Guttman

R> and can u give me a free shell account if I figure out why is there air?

not if you keep top posting. read the group guidelines which are posted
regularly.

<snip of ENTIRE QUOTE EMAIL>

uri

Sara

Larry said:
Is such hostility and arrogance common in this forum? I sure hope not but
recent discussions I've read are proving it to be true.

Pretty common yes. A very informative bunch, when asked the right
question in the right way. But as is common in geekdoms, pretty much
humourless. Don't expect to come here "for the fun of it!"..
Just because you do not see the code does not mean that it is not there.
Obviously it is written in perl given that it is a cgi file. Robin is
probably just showing an example of his or her work. There's no need for
an attack.

Well the original post did seem pretty offbase didn't it? Its
relationship to Perl or this group is at best, indeterminant. WHat if
they DID use Perl code- so what? What has that to do with this group?
DO you think an announcement is appropritate in this group everytime
someone writes a Perl script?

Sara

Uri Guttman said:
and the OP write to me directly.

R> yeah, but where's a good cgi newsgroup, seriously?

have you looked? asked google? did you scan your newsserver for groups
with cgi in their name?

why did you write me? why didn't you ask this in the group?

why am i asking these questions?

why am i here?

why is there air? (5 points if you answer that correctly).

uri

Uri:

There is air in space where there is no absence of air. That's why its
there. If there was an absence, there would be no air. QED

David H. Adler

To keep my head from imploding due to the vacuum?

Jeez, don't you kids know *anything* nowadays? :)

There's air to blow up vollyballs! Blow up basketballs!

In the same vein, I shall recommend Midol for the imploding head
thing...

dha

Uri Guttman

DHA> Jeez, don't you kids know *anything* nowadays? :)

DHA> There's air to blow up vollyballs! Blow up basketballs!

DING! DING! DING!! dha gets the points.

now all of you kiddies, go out and find some of bill cosby's albums from
the 60's. listen. laugh. learn.

bill cosby is a very funny fellow. RIGHT!!

:)

uri

Chris Mattern

Uri said:
DHA> Jeez, don't you kids know *anything* nowadays? :)

DHA> There's air to blow up vollyballs! Blow up basketballs!

DING! DING! DING!! dha gets the points.

now all of you kiddies, go out and find some of bill cosby's albums from
the 60's. listen. laugh. learn.

bill cosby is a very funny fellow. RIGHT!!
"...so I get to the top of the hill--and some moron has put a stop sign
at the top of the hill. I figure the city didn't put it there; some guy
went to the Army-Navy store, bought himself a stop sign, and is up there
right now with binoculars, "Look Martha, we caught somebody"..."

hris Mattern

Don Stefani

Chris said:
"...so I get to the top of the hill--and some moron has put a stop sign
at the top of the hill. I figure the city didn't put it there; some guy
went to the Army-Navy store, bought himself a stop sign, and is up there
right now with binoculars, "Look Martha, we caught somebody"..."

hris Mattern
Perhaps someone should start "Perl Buck-Buck" ?!?!?!