Positioning in Vs 2003 and vs 2005

Daniel

Hey guys

My last ASp.net site i did was in Vs 2003. In VS 2005 i notice that it
doesnt seem to have abolute positioning? In 2003 for examplei could drag a
text box place it where i want and voila. But in Vs 2005 i seem to have to
use tables again for my layout and then place text boxes inside that?

Is there no way to use absolute positioning in the designer like in VS 2003?
if not why was it changed?

Thanks

Przemek Ptasznik

Daniel napisa³(a):
Hey guys

My last ASp.net site i did was in Vs 2003. In VS 2005 i notice that it
doesnt seem to have abolute positioning? In 2003 for examplei could drag a
text box place it where i want and voila. But in Vs 2005 i seem to have to
use tables again for my layout and then place text boxes inside that?

Is there no way to use absolute positioning in the designer like in VS 2003?
if not why was it changed?

They got rid of it because it has only disadvantages.
When you used absolute positioning (aka gridLayout) your webform will
look as intended in IE only and exactly in the same resolution.
Better idea is to learn css a little more and build elastic, scalable
layout using proper css instead of nasty gridlayout.

Daniel

And what is css layout? i thought absolute was CSS? its a style attrib after
all? could you give me some pointers then of best practice?

Przemek Ptasznik

Daniel napisa³(a):
And what is css layout? i thought absolute was CSS? its a style attrib after
all? could you give me some pointers then of best practice?

Absolute was css too. But it's very close tied with particular
resolution (if you use px as measure).

To get better examples just ask google for css layouts or visit some
sites presenting galleries of other sites that are built with css
layouts. (for example cssbeauty.com or cssvault.com). alistapart.com is
great site too.

The best practice - separate content (html) from presentation (css) and
behavior (js). And built your site with standard compliant, properly
used html and css. Don't expect your users will all have the same
browser as you and the same resolution.