Possible to use Codewarrior 7 to program under WinXT?

BillJosephson

Hi, I want to write a program in Java or C++, and just discovered on my
bookshelve Codewarrior 7. It says Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME. Can I
develop a command line application that will work on my XT machine? A
grahpical interface?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts on this. I know I should get a newer
compiler but if I could save the money for the time being that would be
great.

Thanks.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

BillJosephson said:
Hi, I want to write a program in Java or C++, and just discovered on my
bookshelve Codewarrior 7. It says Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME. Can I
develop a command line application that will work on my XT machine? A
grahpical interface?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts on this. I know I should get a newer
compiler but if I could save the money for the time being that would be
great.

My guess is that it just means that those where the Windows
versions available when Codewarrior 7 was released.

It will probably work fine on XP.

I don't know the product, but if it is professionally
grade, then you can configure it to use a newer Java version
(even though maybe syntax highlighting may not work optimal
with the new Java 1.5 syntaxes).

Arne

IR

BillJosephson said:
Hi, I want to write a program in Java or C++, and just discovered
on my bookshelve Codewarrior 7. It says Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000,
ME. Can I develop a command line application that will work on my
XT machine? A grahpical interface?

Are you meaning Windows XP? If so, you should already be aware that XP
is a descendant of the NT/2000 family (in opposition to the 9x
family). So the answer to your question is: yes.
Thanks a lot for any thoughts on this. I know I should get a newer
compiler but if I could save the money for the time being that
would be great.

FWIW, Microsoft's Visual C++ 2005 Express edition is free for
download. Just google for it.

Cheers,

IR

I forgot to mention Eclipse for Java development (which is free also).

Incidentally, you could also use it's CDT plugin for C++ development.

Cheers,

kingpin+nntp

BillJosephson said:
Hi, I want to write a program in Java or C++, and just discovered on my
bookshelve Codewarrior 7. It says Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, ME. Can I
develop a command line application that will work on my XT machine? A
grahpical interface?

Windows 2.11 (the earliest version I've ever seen), which requires an
80286 processor, won't even run on an XT, let alone any of the Windows
versions you mentioned. The XT is primarily useful as a DOS machine
since it's limited to a maximum of ~1 MB of RAM. Since Windows 3.x and
earlier, and those older DOS versions, don't support long filenames, it
simply won't be possible to do real Java development.

If you're looking to write Java code, you're going to need newer
hardware. I recommend at least a Pentium I (80586 processor) as an
absolute minimum. And then, for the Microsoft Windows family, you'll
need Windows 2000 or newer (e.g., Windows XP) to use the current
version of Java -- scrap Windows 95/98/ME since these are no longer
supported by Microsoft (and Windows ME will be soon if it hasn't been
discontinued already).

You might also consider using Unix or Linux (I recommend NetBSD Unix
with Gnome {GUI} because they aren't known to be memory hogs, and
NetBSD has a very novice-friendly support community in IRC, etc.) if
you can't afford the newest hardware since the hefty cost of a Windows
license can be used to purchase better hardware.

As for C++, you can probably do it with an XT, but that's beyond the
scope of the Java newsgroup you posted this in.
Thanks a lot for any thoughts on this. I know I should get a newer
compiler but if I could save the money for the time being that would be
great.

If I were you, I'd worry about getting a newer computer -- you
obviously got more value out of your XT than anyone I know given that
the 8088 processor is ancient hardware nowadays. Given the speed
difference between an XT processor (typically up to 8 MHz) and modern
PC processors (typically measured in GHz which is well over 1,000 times
faster given additional enhancements such as Caching, Pipelining,
HyperThreading, and so much more), it doesn't really make sense to
consider using an XT for any levels of serious software development
anymore.

You're welcome, and congratulations on having an XT that actually still
works (maybe the Guiness Book of World Records will add an entry for
you in their next book?). =)

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Windows 2.11 (the earliest version I've ever seen), which requires an
80286 processor, won't even run on an XT, let alone any of the Windows
versions you mentioned. The XT is primarily useful as a DOS machine
since it's limited to a maximum of ~1 MB of RAM. Since Windows 3.x and
earlier, and those older DOS versions, don't support long filenames, it
simply won't be possible to do real Java development.

The other replies has assumed that XT was typo and the
poster meant XP.

Well - it do say XT.

Arne

kingpin+nntp

Arne Vajhøj wrote:
[sNip]
The other replies has assumed that XT was typo and the
poster meant XP.

Well - it do say XT.

Considering that one of my clients just got rid of their XT less than 2
years ago (they sure got their money's worth out of it), it didn't seem
all that unrealistic. Anyway, good-bye DOS, and hello Java & friends!

Lew

I forgot to mention Eclipse for Java development (which is free also).

Incidentally, you could also use it's [sic] CDT plugin for C++ development.

There are many IDEs (integrated development environments) available for Java
development, and few not-so-I DEs like emacs, many of which are free. Java
itself is free ("as in beer").

GIYF.

- Lew

red floyd

Windows 2.11 (the earliest version I've ever seen), which requires an
80286 processor, won't even run on an XT, let alone any of the Windows
versions you mentioned. The XT is primarily useful as a DOS machine
since it's limited to a maximum of ~1 MB of RAM. Since Windows 3.x and
earlier, and those older DOS versions, don't support long filenames, it
simply won't be possible to do real Java development.

No, 2.11 would run on a straight 8088. Not very well, but it *would* run.

Even Windows 3.0 would run on an 8088 in real mode. Windows 3.1 was the
first version (not counting Windows/386) which would not run on an 8088.

IR

Arne said:
The other replies has assumed that XT was typo and the
poster meant XP.

Well - it do say XT.

Two things make me think that the OP actually meant XP:

- "WinXT" in the post subject
- the mention of a _newer_ compiler

But well, I guess only the OP can tell ;-)

Cheers,

BillJosephson

[...]

Hi, sorry for my mistake, I meant a PC running windows XT. I have
several machines I can use from my Dell D800 laptop to my dual opteron
workstations.

I fuzzily recall that there machines called XTs.

I also remember going to a little dumpy shop in a strip mall that sold
computers back in the 80s. They had two kinds, and I think the least
powerful was an XT, and the more powerful was an AT and that was the
only kinds of PCs then. The AT was an 80286 I think and the XT was just
an 8086. The person who owned that little shop in Austin was named
Michael Dell.

BillJosephson

BillJosephson said:
Hi, sorry for my mistake, I meant a PC running windows XT. I have
several machines I can use from my Dell D800 laptop to my dual opteron
workstations.

I fuzzily recall that there machines called XTs.

I also remember going to a little dumpy shop in a strip mall that sold
computers back in the 80s. They had two kinds, and I think the least
powerful was an XT, and the more powerful was an AT and that was the
only kinds of PCs then. The AT was an 80286 I think and the XT was just
an 8086. The person who owned that little shop in Austin was named
Michael Dell.

Duh.....WindowsXP !! My brain took MLK day off.

kingpin+nntp

red said:
No, 2.11 would run on a straight 8088. Not very well, but it *would* run.

Even Windows 3.0 would run on an 8088 in real mode. Windows 3.1 was the
first version (not counting Windows/386) which would not run on an 8088.

Oh yeah, that's right. It wouldn't be of much use though because most
of the useful applications for Windows 2.x required an 80286 processor,
and for Windows 3.0 required an 80386 processor respectively. It was
certainly enough for countless hours of Solitaire and Reversi [0]
though.

[0] "Othello" is the better-known name for that game.

BillJosephson

Lew said:
I forgot to mention Eclipse for Java development (which is free also).

Incidentally, you could also use it's [sic] CDT plugin for C++ development.

There are many IDEs (integrated development environments) available for Java
development, and few not-so-I DEs like emacs, many of which are free. Java
itself is free ("as in beer").

GIYF.

- Lew

Yeah, I looked at this a while back. I like the sound of jEdit but
never could figure out how to get it configured like an IDE, with
debugger window and a way to watch variables, etc. There just doesn't
seem to be much approachable documentation.

Would you recommend an IDE that sort of looke like Visual IDEs or
Codewarrior? With an editor window, a debugger with conditional
breakpoints, a way to watch varibles, an output window....all at the
same time?
Preferrably with lots of clear documentation?

Thanks.....

Ian Wilson

BillJosephson said:
Would you recommend an IDE that sort of looke like Visual IDEs or
Codewarrior? With an editor window, a debugger with conditional
breakpoints, a way to watch varibles, an output window....all at the
same time?
Preferrably with lots of clear documentation?

I'm not familiar with Codewarrior but I suspect most IDEs would fit the
requirements stated. I use Eclipse, it does all the above.

David Kerber

BillJosephson said:
[...]

Eclipse. If you only need java support, you could also look at the free
version of NetBeans.