posting radiobuttons inside a gridview do not persist selection after postback..

Carlos

Hi all,

I have a form with an input radio control in a template field.
When the user selects an option, and press a button
the selection disappears.. I would like the selection to
persist after the button makes the postback,

I tried using the findcontrol but it returns null, and do not know how
to make sure that the radio selected persist after the button
action makes the postback.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos.

Carlos

Thanks, for the reply. However, I already have the enableviewstate set to
true,
and the problem is that in this snippet, the control variable comes null.
i.e. apparently it can not find the control:

for (int i = 0; i < GridView2.Rows.Count; i++)

{

GridViewRow row = GridView11.Rows;

HtmlInputRadioButton rb =
(HtmlInputRadioButton)(row.FindControl("rbMonday"));

if (rb.Checked == true)

{

Response.Write("found it..");

// Column 2 is the name column

Thanks,

Carlos.

kferron

Do you have runat="server" in the html radio button?

Perhaps you could paste the templatefield html.

Thanks, for the reply. However, I already have the enableviewstate set to
true,
and the problem is that in this snippet, the control variable comes null.
i.e. apparently it can not find the control:

for (int i = 0; i < GridView2.Rows.Count; i++)

{

GridViewRow row = GridView11.Rows;

HtmlInputRadioButton rb =
(HtmlInputRadioButton)(row.FindControl("rbMonday"));

if (rb.Checked == true)

{

Response.Write("found it..");

// Column 2 is the name column

Thanks,

Carlos.

kferron said:
enable viewstate on the radiobutton control in the template field?

Carlos

Kevin, thanks again for the continued support.

Here is my gridview html.

<asp:GridView ID="GridView2" runat="server" style="left: 7px; position:
static; top: 116px" AutoGenerateColumns="False" CellPadding="3"
GridLines="None" Width="230px" BackColor="White" BorderColor="#DEDFDE"
BorderWidth="0px" CellSpacing="1" >

<FooterStyle BackColor="#C6C3C6" ForeColor="Black" />

<Columns>

<asp:TemplateField HeaderText="(Select One">

<ItemTemplate>

<input name="rbMonday" type="radio" enableviewstate="true" runat="server"
value='<%# Eval("payment") %>' />

</ItemTemplate>

<HeaderStyle Font-Bold="True" Font-Names="Arial Unicode MS"
Font-Size="X-Small" BackColor="Black" HorizontalAlign="Left"
VerticalAlign="Middle" Width="40px" Wrap="False" />

<ItemStyle HorizontalAlign="Center" VerticalAlign="Middle" Wrap="True" />

</asp:TemplateField>

<asp:BoundField DataField="payment" HeaderText="Payment" >

<ItemStyle Font-Bold="True" Font-Names="Arial Unicode MS"
Font-Size="XX-Small" HorizontalAlign="Left" VerticalAlign="Middle"
Wrap="True" />

<HeaderStyle Font-Bold="True" Font-Names="Arial Unicode MS"
Font-Size="X-Small" BackColor="Black" ForeColor="White"
HorizontalAlign="Center" VerticalAlign="Middle" Wrap="False" />

</asp:BoundField>

</Columns>

<RowStyle BackColor="#DEDFDE" ForeColor="Black" />

<SelectedRowStyle BackColor="#9471DE" Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="White" />

<PagerStyle BackColor="#C6C3C6" ForeColor="Black" HorizontalAlign="Right" />

<HeaderStyle BackColor="#4A3C8C" Font-Bold="True" ForeColor="#E7E7FF" />

</asp:GridView>

Thanks again,

Carlos.

Carlos wrote:
Hi all,

I have a form with an input radio control in a template field.
When the user selects an option, and press a button
the selection disappears.. I would like the selection to
persist after the button makes the postback,

I tried using the findcontrol but it returns null, and do not know how
to make sure that the radio selected persist after the button
action makes the postback.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos.

kferron

just quickly perusing your html for the radio button, try making sure
there is an id.

<input id="rbMonday" name="rbMonday" type="radio"
enableviewstate="true" runat="server"> value='<%# Eval("payment") %>'
/>

Carlos wrote:
Hi all,

I have a form with an input radio control in a template field.
When the user selects an option, and press a button
the selection disappears.. I would like the selection to
persist after the button makes the postback,

I tried using the findcontrol but it returns null, and do not know how
to make sure that the radio selected persist after the button
action makes the postback.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos.

Carlos

Kevin,

The problem with having the runat="server" in the html radio button, is that
even though it keeps the selected item, when I select other item(s),
the other selections remain., and can not be un-selected.

here is the itemtemplate:

<ItemTemplate>

<input name="rbMonday" type="radio" enableviewstate="true" value='<%#
Eval("song") %>' />

</ItemTemplate>

Thanks again

Carlos

Carlos wrote:
Hi all,

I have a form with an input radio control in a template field.
When the user selects an option, and press a button
the selection disappears.. I would like the selection to
persist after the button makes the postback,

I tried using the findcontrol but it returns null, and do not know how
to make sure that the radio selected persist after the button
action makes the postback.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos.

kferron

well, thats an html issue.. if you want the radio buttons to behave
correctly you will need to name them all the same thing

Carlos wrote:
Hi all,

I have a form with an input radio control in a template field.
When the user selects an option, and press a button
the selection disappears.. I would like the selection to
persist after the button makes the postback,

I tried using the findcontrol but it returns null, and do not know how
to make sure that the radio selected persist after the button
action makes the postback.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos.

Konstantinos Pantos

kferron is right...
Furthermore you can find a number of articles on CodeProject on how to group
radio buttons on asp.net.

HTH
____________________
Konstantinos Pantos
MCP Software Engineer

Carlos wrote:
Hi all,

I have a form with an input radio control in a template field.
When the user selects an option, and press a button
the selection disappears.. I would like the selection to
persist after the button makes the postback,

I tried using the findcontrol but it returns null, and do not know
how
to make sure that the radio selected persist after the button
action makes the postback.

Thanks in advance,

Carlos.

Carlos

I thank you all for your kind response. However, I believe that
it does not address the issue. I am using html radiobuttons because
I read somewhere that it was better because you just need to get
their values issuing a request.form with the name of the control
within a template. However, after a postback if a user needs to see
what it had selected there is no way for the selection to remain.

My question is if there is an efficient sample somewhere that I can look at.

Thanks,

Carlos.