    the casual web surfer?

    What do photographers / graphic designers do to keep their online portfolios
    from being abused?

    M, Jun 2, 2007

  2. As an artist I can tell you the only way is do not publish. If you think
    about it the risk was the same when you blushed in a magazine or book,
    someone could always make a copy from that source.

    We get your question here quite often. Don't look for flash as your
    salvation, screenshots are know to almost all but the most "casual" users.

    As you are probably already aware your most practical approach is to
    have clear copyright statements and limit the size of the images in your
    online portfolio relatively low resolution to give folks just a "taste"...

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 2, 2007

  3. M

    M Guest

    I guess I'm looking at a combination watermark / low rez solution. What max
    rez would you recommend?

    M, Jun 3, 2007
  4. M

    dorayme Guest

    As JL says but there are things you can do to further your
    concerns. You can password protect the pages with any significant
    enlargements, requiring a registration with name and email,
    confirmation email back and you know... that might put some
    people off, put them through a hoop. And then there is the
    further, you supply them to the protected page if they pay you
    something. That does not stop them sharing it (if the price is
    not nothing, people are more reluctant). Of course, you can't
    stop all you want to stop, but these are some suggestions for you
    if you are seriously wanting to limit access to your pics.

    dorayme, Jun 3, 2007
  5. M

    mr rudeforth Guest

    what is so important about your pic, what do you think people will be doing
    with it?

    mr rudeforth, Jun 3, 2007
  6. If you make you living *creating* images it is a real concern if folks
    can take them and republish.

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 3, 2007
  7. M

    mr rudeforth Guest

    if people love the images so much they will steal/copy them from wherever
    they appear be it on the net or on a bottle or in a shop window or in a
    catalogue.
    i used to make some sort of living (or at least be paid money for) paintings
    etc, but they were a foot or bigger in size, any images i have on the www
    range from 200px wide upwards at 72dpi, if people want to steal such little
    things then so be it, i have the originals, and any re-use of tiny images
    was just good promotion for moi.

    mr rudeforth, Jun 4, 2007