PRINTING DIAMOND SHAPE WITH LOOPS!

pchristor

Nobody said all spaces are unneccessary. Arne said that YOUR USAGE of them

is NON STANDARD.

It is. The coding conventions set a standard of how to do these things. You

are doing them differently, which makes your code unpleasant to read for

those of us who do and are used to look at proper formatting.

Liebe Gruesse,

Joerg
I may have a tab or a new line out of place but I wouldn't go as far as to say that its non standard, against coding conventions or unpleasant to readjust because of that. The google browser seems to add spaces to it anyway.

Arne Vajhøj

I'm afraid the spaces are necessary.I would like to see your standard
code, which contains no spaces, please post a short example.

The standard says less spaces for indentation and more spaces in
expressions.

I suggest you read it.
I don't see how this answers the question about coding conventions. Is
"non-standard" == "not following coding conventions" ??

Yes. When the topics are within coding convention domain.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

I may have a tab or a new line out of place but I wouldn't go as far
as to say that its non standard, against coding conventions or
unpleasant to read just because of that. The google browser seems to
add spaces to it anyway.

The convention says:

<quote>
Four spaces should be used as the unit of indentation.
</quote>

The code your posted did not follow.

The convention says:

<quote>
All binary operators except . should be separated from their operands by
spaces.
</quote>

The code your posted did not follow.

That is observable facts, so you "I wouldn't go as far as to say" does
not make much sense.

The unpleasant part is subjective.

Arne

Joerg Meier

I may have a tab or a new line out of place but I wouldn't go as far
as to say that its non standard, against coding conventions or unpleasant
to read just because of that. The google browser seems to add spaces
to it anyway.

Well of course YOU don't think anything is wrong with it, you're the one
who wrote it! If you knew you were doing it wrong you wouldn't have done it
in the first place.

You asked which coding conventions you didn't follow, and now you have your
answer. If you'd now like to argue that you didn't mean to follow some
conventions in the first place, it seems silly that you asked about it at
all.

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

pchristor

The convention says:

<quote>

Four spaces should be used as the unit of indentation.

</quote>

The code your posted did not follow.

The convention says:

<quote>

All binary operators except . should be separated from their operands by

spaces.

</quote>

The code your posted did not follow.

That is observable facts, so you "I wouldn't go as far as to say" does

not make much sense.

The unpleasant part is subjective.

Arne

It doesn't make sense to focus so much on some , not very important, whitespace formatting inconsistency. Almost everyone, including you, is guilty ofbreaking the conventions you've posted.

pchristor

Well of course YOU don't think anything is wrong with it, you're the one

who wrote it! If you knew you were doing it wrong you wouldn't have done it

in the first place.

You asked which coding conventions you didn't follow, and now you have your

answer. If you'd now like to argue that you didn't mean to follow some

conventions in the first place, it seems silly that you asked about it at

all.

Liebe Gruesse,

Joerg
I didn't say there is nothing wrong with it, I realise its a little bit untidy but I didn't think it to be all that bad that I'd be pulled up about it..
And I haven't had the answer actually, I still don't know to which coding conventions are being referred. All I have been told is that the coding conventions which are being referred too require a) spaces around binary operators and b) four spaces for indentation.

pchristor

It doesn't make sense to focus so much on some , not very important, whitespace formatting inconsistency. Almost everyone, including you, is guilty of breaking the conventions you've posted.

But thanks for the info anyway I will try to stick to this whitespace conventions in future.

Joerg Meier

And I haven't had the answer actually, I still don't know to which
coding conventions are being referred. All I have been told is that the
coding conventions which are being referred too require a) spaces
around binary operators and b) four spaces for indentation.

I think we were all under the impression that you wanted to know the
specific violations, which Arne listed for you earlier. We were of course
referring to the "Java Code Conventions", which you can currently find at:

<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconvtoc-136057.html>

Liebe Gruesse,
Joerg

Arne Vajhøj

It doesn't make sense to focus so much on some , not very important,
whitespace formatting inconsistency.

Minor deviations from the standard coding convention does not
bother me.

Unawareness of the standard coding conventions does bother me.
Almost everyone, including you,
is guilty of breaking the conventions you've posted.

Almost everyone has told a lie at some point in time, but that
is not a good argument for not recommending to speak the truth.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj

I didn't say there is nothing wrong with it, I realise its a little
bit untidy but I didn't think it to be all that bad that I'd be
pulled up about it. And I haven't had the answer actually, I still
don't know to which coding conventions are being referred. All I have
been told is that the coding conventions which are being referred too
require a) spaces around binary operators and b) four spaces for
indentation.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconv-138413.html

Arne

pchristor

Minor deviations from the standard coding convention does not

bother me.

Unawareness of the standard coding conventions does bother me.

Almost everyone has told a lie at some point in time, but that

is not a good argument for not recommending to speak the truth.

Arne

I agree with you encouraging others to follow a standard coding conventionbut you must remember that to not follow it is not incorrect.
Comparing this to a truth or a lie for example is a prime example and is anincorrect analogy.

Arne Vajhøj

I agree with you encouraging others to follow a standard coding
convention

Actually - I did not do that.
but you must remember that to not follow it is not
incorrect.

Correct and incorrect does not really apply to coding convention.

Code is either following coding convention or not. It is good
("best practice") to follow coding convention.

Code logic can be correct or incorrect.
Comparing this to a truth or a lie for example is a prime
example and is an incorrect analogy.

It is good analogy in the sense that it is an example of
most people doing something does not make it acceptable.

Arne

Lew

I didn't say there is nothing wrong with it, I realise its a little bit untidy but I didn't think it to be all that bad that I'd be pulled up about it.

It was.

The conventions have been published for a decade and a half, more or less. You should be familiar
with them.
And I haven't had the answer actually, I still don't know to which codingconventions are being referred. All I have been told is that the coding conventions which are being referred too require a) spaces around binary operators and b) four spaces for indentation.

Why, the standard Java coding conventions that have been around probably since before you ever
hear of Java, of course.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/codeconv-138413.html

You should be grateful for the information.

Lew

I agree with you encouraging others to follow a standard coding convention but you must remember that to not follow it is not incorrect.

Yes, it is.
Comparing this to a truth or a lie for example is a prime example and is an incorrect analogy.

No, it is not.

Instead of being obstreperous, you should accept the coaching and thank those who offered it.

Your argumentativeness does not augur well for your continued progress.

pchristor

Yes, it is.

No, it is not.

Instead of being obstreperous, you should accept the coaching and thank those who offered it.

If you want to understand the meaning of big words try looking up the meaning of convention.

*PLonK*

pchristor

Yes, it is.

No, it is not.

Instead of being obstreperous, you should accept the coaching and thank those who offered it.

Your argumentativeness does not augur well for your continued progress.

Actually you are the same idiot who responded to an answer as though it was a question. Maybe you don't understand English or something but you seem to have a problem and you come across as being hostile and nasty.
You really need to sort out your problem of being horrible and nasty because that's not what these forums are about even if you did have a good argument.
As for the argument in question I don't see any point in holding a debate with an hostile idiot who thinks a convention is a rule.

Arne Vajhøj

Actually you are the same idiot who responded to an answer as though
it was a question.

Usenet hint: name calling does not convince many.
Maybe you don't understand English or something

There is a thing called Google that you could use to check out
(and reject) that hypothesis.
but you seem to have a problem and you come across as being hostile
and nasty. You really need to sort out your problem of being horrible
and nasty because that's not what these forums are about even if you
did have a good argument. As for the argument in question I don't see
any point in holding a debate with an hostile idiot who thinks a
convention is a rule.

I am pretty sure that Lew did not consider a convention a rule - that
is something you just made up.

Arne