    I have a vague notion of what they are but no real understanding, or
    even the syntax of the language in a Makefile.

    Can anyone recommend a tutorial that covers these, online or paper?

    Mark Healey, Feb 7, 2004

  2. Mark Healey

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Because neither of those are part of the C language.
    A 'makefile's 'language' will differ among 'make' utilites.
    See the documentation for the one(s) you use.

    A 'linker' is a (platform-specific) utility that 'links' together
    the resulting 'object code' from compiling more than one translation unit.
    See the documentation for the one(s) you use.
    There cannot be a single 'tutorial' about 'makefiles' or 'linkers',
    since each one will be different.

    Here's a link to the "C FAQ":

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Feb 7, 2004

  3. Mark Healey

    Dan Pop Guest

    You guessed right: it was a stupid question. These are not features of
    the language itself and, therefore, they are heavily system and
    even implementation dependent.

    If you want to use a Windows system, what good would be to you a tutorial
    dedicated to Unix or MacOS C programmers? Furthermore, even on Windows,
    there are various C implementations, each with its own unique features
    and modus operandi. The recipe for CygWin may be useless to Visual C
    users and so on.

    So, go to a newsgroup dedicated to programming on your actual platform
    (and your actual implementation, if possible) and specify all the
    above mentioned details in your question.

    Dan

    Dan Pop, Feb 10, 2004