Probably a stupid newbie question.

Mark Healey

I've been through a couple of C tutorials and have the basic language
figured out. What I don't understand and isn't covered in any of them
is make and linking.

I have a vague notion of what they are but no real understanding, or
even the syntax of the language in a Makefile.

Can anyone recommend a tutorial that covers these, online or paper?

Mike Wahler

I've been through a couple of C tutorials and have the basic language
figured out. What I don't understand and isn't covered in any of them
is make and linking.

Because neither of those are part of the C language.
I have a vague notion of what they are but no real understanding, or
even the syntax of the language in a Makefile.

A 'makefile's 'language' will differ among 'make' utilites.
See the documentation for the one(s) you use.

A 'linker' is a (platform-specific) utility that 'links' together
the resulting 'object code' from compiling more than one translation unit.
See the documentation for the one(s) you use.
Can anyone recommend a tutorial that covers these, online or paper?

There cannot be a single 'tutorial' about 'makefiles' or 'linkers',
since each one will be different.

Here's a link to the "C FAQ":

-Mike

Dan Pop

In said:
I've been through a couple of C tutorials and have the basic language
figured out. What I don't understand and isn't covered in any of them
is make and linking.

I have a vague notion of what they are but no real understanding, or
even the syntax of the language in a Makefile.

Can anyone recommend a tutorial that covers these, online or paper?

You guessed right: it was a stupid question. These are not features of
the language itself and, therefore, they are heavily system and
even implementation dependent.

If you want to use a Windows system, what good would be to you a tutorial
dedicated to Unix or MacOS C programmers? Furthermore, even on Windows,
there are various C implementations, each with its own unique features
and modus operandi. The recipe for CygWin may be useless to Visual C
users and so on.

So, go to a newsgroup dedicated to programming on your actual platform
(and your actual implementation, if possible) and specify all the
above mentioned details in your question.

Dan