Problem accessing security

David

I'm trying to get a web site up and running. It's a hosted website using
asp.net and SQL server. I'm also using the membership classes, and the
standard membership controls.

I have a database on my development machine, and during debugging, I set
that to be my membership provider. Everything works. Also, I create some
logins using the Web Site Administration Tools, and I assign them roles. So
far so good.

Now, I publish the web site. Great. Of course, I have to upload the
database, which I do. And, on the published version, I have to change the
membership provider to point to the hosted database instead of the copy on my
development machine. Great. No problems.

Here's the problem. When I go to log on, it always tells me there was an
error, and I can't log on. If I create a new signon from the web page
itself, using the standard asp.net membership control to create a new logon,
that user can log on. However, none of my uploaded users can log on. I have
verified that the database was uploaded accurately, and that it is being used
as the membership provider. I'm guessing that somehow, the password
encryption is messing things up, so that the password I created on my local
machine isn't decoded correctly on the published site. Would that make
sense? I can see that the users exist in the database, and that they have
passwords, but of course I can't decrypt the password to figure out what it
is.

Any help would be appreciated.