Problem building jdk 1.3 from source for Windows

Ulas Ergin

Hi all,
I have downloaded the source for jdk 1.3 from Sun's site.During
compilation in Visual C++ 6.0 SP 6 I am facing a trouble.

Some of tje source files (to name one
\src\share\javavm\include\javastring.h) includes java_lang_String.h.

But the source does not contain any java_lang_String.h.
On the other hand java_lang_String.h comes with standard jdk
distribution in the include-old folder with contains deprecated JNI
headers.

What is the problem here? Why does the jdk source reference
java_lang_String.h but it does not include it?

any help is appreciated,
thx

Thomas Fritsch

Ulas said:
Hi all,
I have downloaded the source for jdk 1.3 from Sun's site.During
compilation in Visual C++ 6.0 SP 6 I am facing a trouble.

Some of tje source files (to name one
\src\share\javavm\include\javastring.h) includes java_lang_String.h.

But the source does not contain any java_lang_String.h.
On the other hand java_lang_String.h comes with standard jdk
distribution in the include-old folder with contains deprecated JNI
headers.

What is the problem here? Why does the jdk source reference
java_lang_String.h but it does not include it?
Don't know the details about JNI, but perhaps *you* have to generate
these h-files from the class-files. For example:
javah java.lang.String
or
javah -jni java.lang.String

(just a guess...)

Ann

Ulas Ergin said:
Hi all,
I have downloaded the source for jdk 1.3 from Sun's site.During
compilation in Visual C++ 6.0 SP 6 I am facing a trouble.

Some of tje source files (to name one
\src\share\javavm\include\javastring.h) includes java_lang_String.h.

But the source does not contain any java_lang_String.h.
On the other hand java_lang_String.h comes with standard jdk
distribution in the include-old folder with contains deprecated JNI
headers.

What is the problem here? Why does the jdk source reference
java_lang_String.h but it does not include it?

any help is appreciated,
thx

My view of compiling stuff for windows when a binary is available:
Are you nuts?

Ulas Ergin

Ann said:
My view of compiling stuff for windows when a binary is available:
Are you nuts?

I completely agree with you Ann but unfortunately I have to.

Ulas Ergin

Thomas Fritsch said:
Don't know the details about JNI, but perhaps *you* have to generate
these h-files from the class-files. For example:
javah java.lang.String
or
javah -jni java.lang.String

(just a guess...)

Thank you Thomas,it is worth a try.

Ulas Ergin

Hi all,
I generated java_lang_String.h from java.lang.String.class via
javah.Now I have another problem.
interpreter.h defines a struct as

/* from exception.c */
struct Hjava_lang_Throwable;

but neither exception.c (or exception.h) not definition of struct
Hjava_lang_Throwable exists anywhere

anyhelp is appreciated