problem calling perl script from SOAP server perl script

pj

Hi

I am trying to call a perl script from SOAP server side perl script,
but no luck.

following is the SOAP server perl script where I call other perl
script. read_query function writes to a file okay, but does nothing
for the two system calls after that. Any ideas? thanks in advance

#!/usr/bin/perl

use lib '../lib';

use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;

SOAP::Transport::HTTP::CGI
-> dispatch_to('predictor')
-> handle;

package predictor;

sub read_query{
my $file=$_[0];
open (fileOUT, "> dBDataFiles/$file");

foreach $line (@_)
{
print fileOUT "$line";
}
close (fileOUT);

# Problem:: nothing happens for the nest two system commands.

system ("/bin/echo hello > dBDataFiles/test");
system ("/usr/bin/perl /home/nsf470/out.pl");

return "done"."\n\n";

[...]

The return value of the system calls are 256. Why are they not working ?

Tad McClellan

pj said:
#!/usr/bin/perl

You should ask for all the help you can get:

use warnings;
use strict;

sub read_query{
my $file=$_[0];
open (fileOUT, "> dBDataFiles/$file");

You should always, yes *always*, check the return value from open():

open(fileOUT, "> dBDataFiles/$file") or
die "could not open 'dBDataFiles/$file' $!";

foreach $line (@_)

Do you _want_ the first iteration to have the same value as what
you put into $file?

Writing the name of the file into the file seems strange to me...

{
print fileOUT "$line";
^ ^
^ ^

You should avoid useless uses of double quotes:

print fileOUT $line;

return "done"."\n\n";

return "done\n\n";

pj

Tad McClellan said:
pj said:
[...]

Thanks for the tips. It's still not working, that is system calll is
returning 256. any ideas why? please let me know.