problem calling perl script from SOAP server perl script

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by pj, Apr 9, 2004.

  1. pj

    pj Guest

    I am trying to call a perl script from SOAP server side perl script,
    but no luck.

    following is the SOAP server perl script where I call other perl
    script. read_query function writes to a file okay, but does nothing
    for the two system calls after that. Any ideas? thanks in advance

    use lib '../lib';

    use SOAP::Transport::HTTP;

    -> dispatch_to('predictor')
    -> handle;

    package predictor;

    sub read_query{
    my $file=$_[0];
    open (fileOUT, "> dBDataFiles/$file");

    foreach $line (@_)
    print fileOUT "$line";
    close (fileOUT);

    # Problem:: nothing happens for the nest two system commands.

    system ("/bin/echo hello > dBDataFiles/test");
    system ("/usr/bin/perl /home/nsf470/");

    return "done"."\n\n";
    pj, Apr 9, 2004

  2. pj

    pj Guest

    The return value of the system calls are 256. Why are they not working ?
    pj, Apr 9, 2004

  3. You should ask for all the help you can get:

    use warnings;
    use strict;

    You should always, yes *always*, check the return value from open():

    open(fileOUT, "> dBDataFiles/$file") or
    die "could not open 'dBDataFiles/$file' $!";

    Do you _want_ the first iteration to have the same value as what
    you put into $file?

    Writing the name of the file into the file seems strange to me...

    ^ ^
    ^ ^

    You should avoid useless uses of double quotes:

    print fileOUT $line;

    return "done\n\n";
    Tad McClellan, Apr 9, 2004
  4. pj

    pj Guest

    Thanks for the tips. It's still not working, that is system calll is
    returning 256. any ideas why? please let me know.
    pj, Apr 9, 2004