problem debugging ASP.NET application on XP-SP2

Guest

Hi Everybody,

I've got a problem debugging ASP.NET applications on an XP SP2 System.
The Details:

Up to now I've been developing on an XP SP1 computer.
Several days ago I got a new computer with XP SP2 installed.
I moved the ASP.NET to the new computer (got the source from source safe and
compiled on that computer),
and i've run into several problems which are probably related.
The first problem is that I can't debug my application (or ANY application)
Pressing F5 in visual studio I get 'Access denied' error.
The second problem is that I can't run an application that has
<identity impersonate="True"> in the web.Config.
If the application is set to impersonate I get 'access denied' when I try to
open the web page (NOT debug it, just open it).
If I set it not to impersonate the web page loads.

The stack dump I get when the web application is set to impersonate is:
[ApplicationException: Access is denied.
]
System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity._ResolveIdentity(IntPtr
userToken) +0
System.Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity.get_Name() +71
System.Web.Configuration.AuthorizationConfigRule.IsUserAllowed(IPrincipal
user, String verb) +106
System.Web.Configuration.AuthorizationConfig.IsUserAllowed(IPrincipal
user, String verb) +81
System.Web.Security.UrlAuthorizationModule.OnEnter(Object source,
EventArgs eventArgs) +181

System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute() +60
completedSynchronously) +87

The user I'm using as has administartor permissions.
I'm using:
Visual studio 2003.
IIS 5.1
The web site in IIS is set to allow annonymous access using
IUSR_<computername> user.

If anybody can help me here,please...

Thanks Nadav

ÈÎÔ¶[΢Èí]

Hi Nadav,

Welcome to MSDN newsgroup!

For the first problem, thanks for Srini's suggestion. I suggest we try
steps in the article and please let me know the result. Additionally, after
checked the ¡°Impersonate a Client after Authentication¡±, please checked
the ¡°Debug Programs¡± too.
As far as I know, the problem could be caused by MDM or VS7jit, so if the
above things not work well, please try the below steps:
1 Change to c:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug,
assuming VS.NET installed to default path;
2 Run vs7jit /regserver;
3 mdm /unregserver;
4 mdm /regserver;
5 Ran aspnet_regiis -ua from vs.net command prompt and then followed it
with aspnet_regiis -i;
6 Reboot the machine.

For the second issue, there is a kb article concern the problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824308/en-us
Although the solution is resolved for domain controller and Windows 2000
SP4, I have seen that this fix also works on a machine that is not a domain
controller and Windows XP SP2.

I hope the suggestions were helpful. If you have any other concerns, please
feel free to let me know.. It's my pleasure to be of assistance.

Yuan Ren [MSFT]

Microsoft Online Support

Guest

Ok, This solved the problem.
I had to add the 'Impersonate a Client after Authentication' permission to
the IWAM_* user (I didn't need to add the 'debug programs' permission).
Then I unregistered and reregistered aspnet_regiis
(I had to use aspnet_regiis -r option, aspnet_regiis -i did not add the
script mappings..)

Thanks A lot,
Nadav

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Nadav,

Thanks for your respones and I'm glad that you've figured out the problem.
Have a good day!

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security