Problem getting gems in linux

Leon Anonymous

Hi, I've been learning ruby for a few weeks now and still finding my
ground with it. I'm making a simple application and discovered I needed
to use something from the gem library. I thought I had everything
installed, but seem to be having a problem importing something. Could
someone offer some advice about this error? I'm not sure what it means.

irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require "highline/system_extensions"
LoadError: no such file to load -- highline/system_extensions
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in
`gem_original_require'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require'
from (irb):2
from :0
irb(main):003:0>

I'm using LinuxMint9 (ubuntu based) with ruby 1.8 and gems 1.8. I also
installed some extra stuff that was recommended after I had googled for
the problem. This doesn't seem to have made a difference though.

Has anyone come across this problem before?

TIA,
Leke.

Leon Anonymous

Whoops, sorry guys. It seems I didn't quite grasp the concept correctly.
I needed to install the highline library to gems in order to use it. I
somehow thought it was included in gems.

Ryan Davis

Whoops, sorry guys. It seems I didn't quite grasp the concept = correctly.=20
I needed to install the highline library to gems in order to use it. I=20=
somehow thought it was included in gems.

I'm afraid you may still be missing it. You need to install VIA gems, =
not (in)to gems. You should just do:

sudo gem install highline

Leon Anonymous

Ryan Davis wrote in post #963770:
I'm afraid you may still be missing it. You need to install VIA gems,
not (in)to gems. You should just do:

sudo gem install highline

Ahh ok. I knew Gems helped with the install, I just wasn't sure if it
was going into some kind of designated gem space.

Thanks.