Problem matching WSDL

Rob Hill

Hello,

I have a web service that I am writing that has to conform to the WSDL given
to me by my integration partner.

There is a section in the schema that I am unable to duplicate. Here is the
snip:

<s:element name="SubmitTransactionResponse">
<s:complexType>
<s:sequence>
<s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1"
name="SubmitTransactionResult" type="tns:Transaction" />
<s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="objAuthentication"
type="tns:Authentication" />
<s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="objTransaction"
type="tns:Transaction" />
</s:sequence>
</s:complexType>
</s:element>

It appears that my method "SubmitTransaction" is expected to respond with an
unnamed complexType. If I make an object that has these three items as
properties and return that, my WSDL looks like this:

<s:element name="SubmitTransactionResponse">
<s:complexType>
<s:sequence>
<s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="Response"
type="tns:Response" />
</s:sequence>
</s:complexType>
</s:element>
<s:complexType name="Response">
<s:sequence>
<s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1"
name="SubmitTransactionResult" type="tns:Transaction" />
<s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="objAuthentication"
type="tns:Authentication" />
<s:element minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1" name="objTransaction"
type="tns:Transaction" />
</s:sequence>
</s:complexType>

Clearly they do not match. How do I return this unnamed complexType?

Thanks,

Rob

Steven Cheng

Hi Rob,

Based on my understanding, you may need to make the
"SubmitTransactionResponse" element the root element of your webmethod's
response message and all the sub properites as its child elements ,
correct?

I think you may need to use the "SoapDocumentMethodAttribute" to decorate
your webmethod and set the ParameterStyle (and some other attributes) to
customize the webmethod message's formatting. Here is a simple example:

[WebService(Namespace = "http://tempuri.org/")]
[WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo = WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1)]
public class WebService : System.Web.Services.WebService {

public WebService () {

//Uncomment the following line if using designed components
//InitializeComponent();
}

[WebMethod()]
[SoapDocumentMethod(ResponseElementName="SubmitTransactionResponse",
ParameterStyle=SoapParameterStyle.Bare)]
[return: XmlElement(ElementName="SubmitTransactionResponse")]
public SubmitTransactionResponse HelloWorld()
{
SubmitTransactionResponse rep = new SubmitTransactionResponse();
rep.SubmitTransactionResult = "result";
rep.objAuthentication = "objA";
rep.objTransaction = "objT";

return rep;

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

=========I changed the class to below for test========
public partial class SubmitTransactionResponse {

private string submitTransactionResultField;

private string objAuthenticationField;

private string objTransactionField;

/// <remarks/>
public string SubmitTransactionResult {
get {
return this.submitTransactionResultField;
}
set {
this.submitTransactionResultField = value;

/// <remarks/>
public string objAuthentication {
get {
return this.objAuthenticationField;
}
set {
this.objAuthenticationField = value;

/// <remarks/>
public string objTransaction {
get {
return this.objTransactionField;
}
set {
this.objTransactionField = value;

=========================

In addition, I suggest you have a look at the Contact-First concept in XML
webservice which is recommended for building webservice based on given XML
schema:

#Contract-First Service Development
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/05/ServiceStation/

#Techniques for Contract-First Development
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/05/06/ServiceStation/

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

--------------------

msnews.microsoft.com

Steven,

I tried what you suggested and I get the same result. The return sequence is
unnamed. That is what I don't know how to do.

Rob

rights.

--------------------
From: "Rob Hill" <[email protected]>
Subject: Problem matching WSDL
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:45:23 -0600
Hello,

[...]

Thanks for your reply Rob,

I'm not quite sure about the "The return sequence is unnamed."

If possible, would you try define a very simple class(has some simple type
members) and then give me a webservice/webmethod to demonstrate your
scenario. Also, you can give me a copy of the expected request & response
SOAP xml message so that I can get what's the result you want and perform
some further test on my side.

Subject: Re: Problem matching WSDL

From: "Rob Hill" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:45:23 -0600
Hello,

[...]

This is why I posted the WSDL.

Note that the WSDL has a complexType as a return value that is a sequence of
3 items but yet the complexType tag does not have a name attribute. It's
truly as if the web service is returning 3 values.

Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 21:19:05 -0600
Steven,

"Steven Cheng" said:
[...]

professional working with you may need further investigation to reach
the
most efficient resolution. The offering is not appropriate for
situations
project analysis and dump analysis issues. Issues of this nature are
best
handled working with a dedicated Microsoft Support Engineer by
contacting

rights.

--------------------
From: "Rob Hill" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:45:23 -0600

[...]

The original XML fragment you posted are the XML schema definition of the
types(it is part of the WSDL document). I'm still not quite sure at which
position(hierarchy) will the element display and how will your SOAP
request/response look like.

Would you give me a sample request/resposne soap message? For example, in
ASP.NET Webservice, when you visit the asmx page in IE and click the
"method name" link, it will display a page with some sample soap
request/response messages (include messages for different protocol such as
SOAP 1.1, SOAP 1.2, HTTP POST ....). Here is an example(generated by
ASP.NET webservice page):

=======================
POST /linqsite/WebService.asmx HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost
SOAPAction: "http://tempuri.org/HelloWorld"

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<soap:Body />
</soap:Envelope>
HTTP/1.1 200 OK

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<soap:Body>
<SubmitTransactionResponse xmlns="http://tempuri.org/">
<SubmitTransactionResult
xmlns="http://tempuri.org/customcs.xsd">string</SubmitTransactionResult>
<objAuthentication
xmlns="http://tempuri.org/customcs.xsd">string</objAuthentication>
<objTransaction
xmlns="http://tempuri.org/customcs.xsd">string</objTransaction>
</SubmitTransactionResponse>
</soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>
=========================

With such a sample request/response pair, it is fairly easy to get what the
actual format you want.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

--------------------

Rob Hill

Steven,

I figured it out.

My SubmitTransaction method changes to:

public Transaction SubmitTransaction(ref Authentication objAuthentication,
ref Transaction objTransaction)

The ref keyword causes the objects passed in to be sent back with the
response.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Steven Cheng

Thanks for your reply Rob,

Glad that you've figured out the problem. Yes, "Ref" key word is not quite
often used in webservice since by ref object will cause the webservice
communication be more expensive.

Best regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

suggestions about how we

can improve the support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my
manager know what you think of

the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager
at: (e-mail address removed).