Problem overlaying on top of image

ajcrm125

Ok you Java gurus....here's my situation:

I'm using drupal with the following theme:
http://www.signalkuppe.com/marinelli/

Notice the drop down menus on the top. Those are implemented by the
theme developer via javascript found here:
http://cherne.net/brian/resources/jquery.hoverIntent.html

Now, I went and added a crossfading banner as opposed to the static
one. I used the code from here:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

It worked fine, BUT..... the drop down menus drop down behind the
banner... not in front of it.
Any ideas as to how I can get the menus to drop down in front of the
banner?

Thanks guys...

David Mark

Ok you Java gurus....here's my situation:

A Java guru can't help here.
I'm using drupal with the following theme:http://www.signalkuppe.com/marinelli/

Notice the drop down menus on the top.  Those are implemented by the
theme developer via javascript found here:http://cherne.net/brian/resources/jquery.hoverIntent.html ^^^^^^

Oops.

Now, I went and added a crossfading banner as opposed to the static
one.  I used the code from here:http://www.dynamicdrive.com
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oops, again.
/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm

It worked fine, BUT..... the drop down menus drop down behind the
banner... not in front of it.

Imagine that. Sure sounded like you knew what you were doing.
Any ideas as to how I can get the menus to drop down in front of the
banner?

No. You are likely screwed. Can you spot your mistake(s)?
Thanks guys...

You are welcome.

ajcrm125

A Java guru can't help here.

                 ^^^^^^

Oops.

                                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Oops, again.

Imagine that.  Sure sounded like you knew what you were doing.

No.  You are likely screwed.  Can you spot your mistake(s)?

You are welcome.

Wow... I've been doing software and hardware development for 20+ years
with the absence of javascript. Was looking to get even a little
guidence. Maybe something like considering the z-index of the object
perhaps (a hint from one of the other groups I posted the same
question on. This is the first time I've ever asked a question and
got that kind of response. Wow...

I'll know better than to post to this group next time. Yikes.

In my experince, the only thing worse than someone who doesn't know
something about a specific topic is someone who does... but isn't
willing to share it. For all intents and purposes... that developer
doesn't know it either, and is pretty much useless to the community.

David Mark

Wow... I've been doing software and hardware development for 20+ years
with the absence of javascript.
Noted.

Was looking to get even a little
guidence.

You got it. Look for the glowing exit sign. Apparently you have
never even used Javascript. Rearranging the works of John Resig and
other dubious sources can't lead to anything good.
Maybe something like considering the z-index of the object
perhaps (a hint from one of the other groups I posted the same
question on.  This is the first time I've ever asked a question and
got that kind of response.  Wow...

See, that was just a red herring. If you remove jQuery and/or the DD
scripts, you will go back to having a working site.
I'll know better than to post to this group next time.  Yikes.

Of course.
In my experince,  the only thing worse than someone who doesn't know
something about a specific topic is someone who does... but isn't
willing to share it.  For all intents and purposes... that developer
doesn't know it either, and is pretty much useless to the community.

So much for pathos.

David Mark

No.... actually it did work.  A simple z index tweak and all is well.http://www.mapleridge.net

LOL. You forgot to post that in your original message. That was
mistake #1. That's why nobody else answered.

And all can't be well with either of those scripts. We know about
jQuery, which has been unceremoniously dumped into this Drupal
"theme", and as for the DD script:

"The cool fading effect works in IE, NS6+/ Firefox, and Safari 2,
while all other browsers such as Opera 8 will simply skip the effect
but continue to display the images. Rock on with the ultimate fade in
slideshow script!"

var dom=(document.getElementById) //modern dom browsers
var iebrowser=document.all

And seeing as you ignored the posting guidelines by not searching the
archive for "fade", you missed the numerous examples already posted
(some by me.) Apparently you missed the jQuery reviews as well. Then
you posted an incomplete question, which nobody answered. On being
clued in about the scripts involved, which preclude any chance of
success, you enumerated your "qualifications" for judging and
implementing third-party scripts along with various beefs against the
group.

In short, you haven't done that church any favors by clogging up its
site with jQuery and perhaps the worst fade script in history. You
didn't do your homework and it shows in your result.

Until you can understand your mistakes, you aren't going to learn
anything.

ajcrm125

Until you can understand your mistakes, you aren't going to learn
anything.
I agree 100%. Only problem is, you didn't have the patience to simply
point them out to me.

We all know how you chose to respond to the original question... but
for example, let's see how you 'could' have responded:

Ok you Java gurus....here's my situation:
Hold on AJ... if you have a Java question, you are in the wrong
place. Check out the Java newsgroups.
But if this is a javascript question.. go ahead.
I'm using drupal with the following theme:
http://www.signalkuppe.com/marinelli/
Notice the drop down menus on the top. Those are implemented by the
theme developer via javascript found here:
http://cherne.net/brian/resources/jquery.hoverIntent.html
Thanks for the links but please post a link to 'your' site so we can
help you out.
Now, I went and added a crossfading banner as opposed to the static
one. I used the code from here:
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex14/fadeinslideshow.htm
You may want to do some homework and search on the newsgroups on this
fading effect you're looking at. If you look at the comments, you'll
see that it's only supported by IE, NS6+/ Firefox, and Safari 2. In
fact, I myself have posted directly on this topic, including the
validity of jQuery. Be sure to read those topics as well.... you'll
find that this solution may work but it certainly may not be the best.
It worked fine, BUT..... the drop down menus drop down behind the
banner... not in front of it.
Any ideas as to how I can get the menus to drop down in front of the
banner?
It could be a z-index issue but again.... do some research on jQuery
and on the fade script you are trying to implement.
There's better solutions out there.

I don't see how anyone can 'learn' anything without constructive
dialog, which was completely absent in your first reply.
In fact by your response your are implying that the forums are not a
place to learn anything... but rather you need to already know
everything about the subject matter (in detail) before you should
post. Which defeats the educational benefits of a newsgroup in my
opinion.

God-bless,
-Adam

David Mark

I agree 100%.  Only problem is, you didn't have the patience to simply
point them out to me.

Or maybe I didn't have the time. Or maybe there's dozens of these
sorts of posts that float in every day. Or maybe you forgot that I
was the only one that answered at all.
We all know how you chose to respond to the original question... but
for example, let's see how you 'could' have responded:

You are wasting time. We all know how you feel about newsgroups.

[snip]

ajcrm125

You are wasting time.  We all know how you feel about newsgroups.
Actually I love'em and use them all the time. Search on 'ajcrm125'...
you'll find me.
If you look above you'll see my comments were with respect to 'this'
newsgroup in response to your 'answer'.
And the more dialog there is between us, Merk, the more I'm thinking
this newsgroup may actually have a general desire to help out those
less educated/experienced in javascript whereas you do not.

And I guess that begs the question as to why you replied in the first
place. It appears it was for no other reason than for you to rub your
experience (in addition to my lack thereof) in my face.
???

David Mark

Actually I love'em and use them all the time.  Search on 'ajcrm125'...
you'll find me.
If you look above you'll see my comments were with respect to 'this'
newsgroup in response to your 'answer'.

Your conduct *here* wouldn't fly in any newsgroup.
And the more dialog there is between us, Merk, the more I'm thinking
this newsgroup may actually have a general desire to help out those
less educated/experienced in javascript whereas you do not.

There you go thinking again. I have answered you (several times now),
even did a bit of your homework for you, while everyone else here
ignored you (justifiably.)
And I guess that begs the question as to why you replied in the first
place.  It appears it was for no other reason than for you to rub your
experience (in addition to my lack thereof) in my face.

Stop wasting time wondering why I was the only one to help you.
Sheesh!

ajcrm125

Your conduct *here* wouldn't fly in any newsgroup.
Stop wasting time wondering why I was the only one to help you.
Sheesh!

??? Asking a question and getting offended when someone insults you
without cause?
I'm confident the other members are able to see through your attempt
to twist the truth.

David Mark

??? Asking a question and getting offended when someone insults you
without cause?

More like asking a *stupid* question, which sat for days unattended
and then getting offended when someone gives you the only correct
answer, which could have saved you a lot of time.
I'm confident the other members are able to see through your attempt
to twist the truth.

I'm confident nobody cares. Have you burned up enough time here,
now? How goes the jQuery abatement?

David Mark

More like asking a *stupid* question, which sat for days unattended

Actually, looking back, you got pretty fast service. Notice how
nobody has helped you since (hint; you got the right answer the first
time.)