Problem Running ASP.NET/ASP App Under VS 2005

craig.wagner

I took an application that we have that is part ASP, part ASP.NET, and
migrated it to VS 2005. The migration worked okay, it's trying to run
it where I am having some challenges.

When I open the application in VS 2005, I can open it one of two ways
(okay, there's actually more than two, but these are the two I've
used), either from the file system or using my local IIS server.

When I open it from the file system and try to run the application, it
uses the ASP.NET Development Server as its web server. The problem is
that the first page of the site is one of the classic ASP pages, and
the following message is generated.

This type of page is not served.
it has been explicitly forbidden. The extension '.asp' may be
incorrect. Please review the URL below and make sure that it is
spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /ReportsWeb/login.asp

When I open the site using the local IIS option, the site runs
correctly (as I would expect, I'm using IIS to serve up the app).

So I guess the question is, is there any way to configure the ASP.NET
Development Server to serve up ASP pages? Or in this situation am I
required to rely on IIS?

Karl Seguin

VS.Net has a built-in web server. Chances are you are having problems
because when you launch from VS.Net ,it uses the built-in web server which
doesnt' support ASP. You'll need to configure VS.Net to use IIS instead.

I don't VS.Net 2005 on my laptop, so I can't say exaclty where it is, but if
you right click on the web project and go to the properties, it should say
something aobut built-in server and IIS

Karl

Scott Allen

So I guess the question is, is there any way to configure the ASP.NET
Development Server to serve up ASP pages? Or in this situation am I
required to rely on IIS?

Craig:

I don't believe so. The WebDev server has some limitations - this is
one of them.