problem while adding web reference

Ravi

Hi,

i am getting the following error when trying to add a web reference of a
web service which is on the remote machine to a web application project in
..NET

"
The document at the url http://tuvsrv2/_vti_bin/service1.asmx was not
recognized as a known document type.
The error message from each known type may help you fix the problem:
- Report from 'WSDL Document' is 'The document format is not recognized (the
content type is 'text/html; charset=utf-8').'.
- Report from 'DISCO Document' is 'There was an error downloading
'http://tuvsrv2/_vti_bin/service1.asmx?disco'.'.
- The request failed with HTTP status 404: Not Found.
- Report from 'XML Schema' is 'The document format is not recognized (the
content type is 'text/html; charset=utf-8').'. "

Any Ideas will be helpful

Bruce Johnson [C# MVP]

The URL for your web service seems a little strange to me. I haven't seen an
ASMX file placed into a directory called _vti_bin before. That having been
said, what the error message says to me is that your virtual directory hasn't
been properly configured to support ASMX file. I'm basing this on the
unknown document type message. A good virtual directory would recognize the
..ASMX extension and know how to process it.

Hope this helps.

DalePres

Very interesting article. Not being a Sharepoint developer, I sure don't
know why they're going into the FrontPage Extensions folders for storing web
services but since there were three developers and probably several
reviewers on the team for publishing that article, I'll have to assume it is
conceptually correct even if unusual.

One thing I did notice at the bottom of the article, in the troubleshooting
section, was a paragraph stating that if you don't create the .aspx files,
as suggested in the article, from the .disco and .wsdl files, you will get
the error you describe.

DalePres
MCAD, MCDBA, MCSE