problem with ASP classic conversion to .NET

jason

i'm working on a gradual conversion of an ASP classic web site to
ASP.NET. a recent body of work involves adding a new asp page to the
existing site. i thought this would be a good opportunity to try this
"in place" conversion capability that .NET boasts.

the new aspx file, in order to function, will require many includes
from other ASP classic files. it was my impression that ASP.NET and ASP
classic would play well together in the same file, though? if this is
true, can some one tell me what causes the following error?

code from "functions.asp":

pathvariable = "/mypath/default.asp"

If rcdatabasetype = "MS SQL" Then
rctrue = 1
rcfalse = 0
Else
rctrue = True
rcfalse = False
End If

Function SQLFix(strSQL)
If Trim(strSQL) = "" Then
SQLFix = NULL
Else
SQLFix = Trim(strSQL)
End Function
End Function

code from the top of "testaspx.aspx":

<%@ Page Language="vb" ContentType="text/html"
ResponseEncoding="iso-8859-1" CodeBehind="mycart.aspx.vb"
AutoEventWireup="false" Inherits="rentclicks.dev.mycart" %>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0
Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-
transitional.dtd">
<!-- InstanceBegin template="/Templates/dotnet.dwt.aspx"
codeOutsideHTMLIsLocked="false" -->
<head>
<% Response.Buffer = True %>
<!--#include virtual="/pathstuff/constants.asp"-->
<!--#include virtual="/pathstuff/functions.asp"-->

but the compiler doesn't get past that bottom line of testaspx.aspx,
because it reports the following error when trying to compile
functions.asp (constants.asp is nothing but variable name declarations,
which is why i left it out of this question):

Compiler Error Message: BC30289: Statement cannot appear within a
method body. End of method assumed.

Source Error:

Line 10: End If
Line 11:
*Line 12: Function SQLFix(strSQL)
Line 13: If Trim(strSQL) = "" Then
Line 14: SQLFix = NULL

Source File:

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\jason.rentclicks.dev\classifieds\utilities\functions.asp
Line: 12

this inclusion works just fine in the other 60 ASP classic pages on the
website. can someone point me in the right direction to figure out why
including the same files in an aspx file would fail?

thanks in advance,

jason

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

not in the same file because the webserver serves pages on page extensions,
there fore you can't have both. Either or.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]