Problem with IRB and some sample code...

Unnsse Khan

:) Hello again,

I am a Ruby newbie... I am using the following version on Mac OS X
Tiger:

Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ ruby --version
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ which ruby
/usr/bin/ruby

I am experiencing several problems....

1. My irb doesn't support tab completion (the same version of Ruby
on WinXP does support tab completion)...

For example:

Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ irb
irb(main):001:0> a = "Hello Ruby Group"
=> "Hello Ruby Group"
irb(main):002:0> a.rev

When I click on the tab key right after rev, it doesn't complete it by
printing out the remaining characters belonging to the word 'reverse'.

Is there a way to check and see if this functionality is turned on
for irb?

2. How do I use similar functionality in irb to clear the buffer, as
one would
do in Unix using "clear" and WinXP, using "cls"?

3. I copied a simple Draw coding sample and when I tried to run it,
I got an error...

The code for Draw.rb:

Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ cat Draw.rb
#!/usr/bin/ruby -w

require 'tk'

class Draw

def initialize(parent)
@canvas = TkCanvas.new(parent)
@canvas.pack
@start_x = @start_y = 0
@canvas.bind("1", lambda {|e| do_press(e.x, e.y)})
@canvas.bind("B1-Motion", lambda {|x, y| do_motion
(x,y)}, "%x %y")
@canvas.bind("Button-Release-1", lambda {|x, y|
do_release(x,y)}, "%x %y")
end

def do_press(x,y)
@start_x = x
@start_y = y
@current_line = TkcLine.new(@canvas, x, y, x,y)
end

def do_motion(x,y)
if @current_line
@current_line.coords @start_x, @start_y, x, y
end
end

def do_release(x,y)
if @current_line
@current_line.coords @start_x, @start_y, x, y
@current_line.fill 'black'
@current_line = nil
end
end

end

root = TkRoot.new { title 'Canvas' }
Draw.new(root)
Tk.mainloop

The error message:

Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ ./Draw.rb
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1496:in `_invoke_without_enc': bad event type
or keysym "Release" (RuntimeError)
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1496:in `_ip_invoke_core'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1532:in `_tk_call_core'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:1560:in `tk_call_without_enc'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:831:in `_bind_core'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:839:in `_bind'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:921:in `bind'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb:2139:in `bind'
from ./Draw.rb:13:in `initialize'
from ./Draw.rb:39:in `new'
from ./Draw.rb:39

4. What is the *BEST* free Ruby IDE in the world?

Thank you for your time and I hope who ever can help me can try to
duplicate this problem using
OS X Tiger and the same version of Ruby as me.

Many, many thanks!

-Unnsse

James Edward Gray II

:) Hello again,
Hello.

I am a Ruby newbie... I am using the following version on Mac OS X
Tiger:

Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ ruby --version
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ which ruby
/usr/bin/ruby

This is Apple's default install, it looks like. There are a few
issues with it, so I prefer to build my own version of Ruby.
I am experiencing several problems....

1. My irb doesn't support tab completion (the same version of Ruby
on WinXP does support tab completion)...

I believe this is one of the issues with Apple's install. If you
build the readline library, then build your own copy of Ruby, you
should be able to get this going.
2. How do I use similar functionality in irb to clear the buffer,
as one would
do in Unix using "clear" and WinXP, using "cls"?

Try pushing Control-L.
3. I copied a simple Draw coding sample and when I tried to run it,
I got an error...

The code for Draw.rb:

[snip code]

I assume this is a TK issue, but I'll let someone who knows more than
me address it...
4. What is the *BEST* free Ruby IDE in the world?

I'm a text editor fan, not an IDE guy, so I'll let someone else field
this question too...

James Edward Gray II

Unnsse Khan

Thanks James,

I would I "un-install" the Mac OS X Ruby and install the new one
(ruby 1.8.3)?

Could I use the RubyGem utility? Or do I login as root and just
download the tar.gz file and unzip
it and then do a configure and then make install? Would this
overwrite the ruby 1.8.2 that I have?

The same questions apply to tcl/tk...

Regards,

Unnsse

:) Hello again,

Hello.

[...]

Hello James,

The Control L doesn't doesn't clear the buffer....

All it does is place a ^L on the corresponding line:

Raven:~ untz$ irb
irb(main):001:0> ^L
irb(main):002:0*

Does anyone know how to clear the irb's buffer?

Many, many, thanks!

-Unnsse

James Edward Gray II

Thanks James,

I would I "un-install" the Mac OS X Ruby and install the new one
(ruby 1.8.3)?

No, it's best not to muck with Apple's install. Better to install
your own in /usr/local/, and then adjust your PATH to check there
first. This is the default install location when you build Ruby.
Or do I login as root and just download the tar.gz file and unzip
it and then do a configure and then make install?

That's the ticket.
Would this overwrite the ruby 1.8.2 that I have?

No.

James Edward Gray II

James Edward Gray II

Hello James,

The Control L doesn't doesn't clear the buffer....

I tested it and it does work for me. This might be another readline
issue...

James Edward Gray II

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Unnsse-
Here is an easy way to fix the OSX default install of ruby. This
will fix the irb completion by installing readline and it will
install rubygems for you. Just run this command from the terminal:

$ sudo curl -O rufy.com/fix-ruby-tiger.sh; sh fix-ruby-tiger.sh

Hope that helps-
-Ezra

[...]

Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
(e-mail address removed)

Unnsse Khan

Ezra,

I already have RubyGems installed....

Should I still do this?

Regards,

Unnsse

Unnsse-
Here is an easy way to fix the OSX default install of ruby.
This will fix the irb completion by installing readline and it will
install rubygems for you. Just run this command from the terminal:

$ sudo curl -O rufy.com/fix-ruby-tiger.sh; sh fix-ruby-tiger.sh

Hope that helps-
-Ezra

Thanks James,

I would I "un-install" the Mac OS X Ruby and install the new one
(ruby 1.8.3)?

Could I use the RubyGem utility? Or do I login as root and just
download the tar.gz file and unzip
it and then do a configure and then make install? Would this
overwrite the ruby 1.8.2 that I have?

The same questions apply to tcl/tk...

Regards,

Unnsse

On Oct 13, 2005, at 2:01 AM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

:) Hello again,

Hello.

[...]

Yes I would still do this. Apple ships a broken version of ruby and
this totally fixes it. I have done it on over 10 installs of Tiger.
It will go ahead and just write over your rubygems install and worst
case scenario you might need to reinstall any gems you already
installed. But thats a small price to pay for having a ruby binary
that has readline support and can properly build C extensions.

HTH-
-Ezra

On Oct 13, 2005, at 6:35 AM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

[...]

Your suggestion not only did not help me with fixing the IRB tab
completion (its still broken), but it broke a bunch of other
things.... :'(

When I try to run rake:

Raven:~ untz$ rake
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:74:in
`load_specification': undefined method `cert_chain=' for
#<Gem::Specification:0x22ae2c> (NoMethodError)
from (eval):1:in `initialize'
from (eval):1:in `new'
from (eval):1:in `load_specification'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:
45:in `eval'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:
74:in `load_specification'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:
45:in `from_installed_gems'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:
44:in `each'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:
44:in `from_installed_gems'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:
63:in `from_installed_gems'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:79:in
`source_index'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:135:in `activate'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:37:in
`require_gem_with_options'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:31:in
`require_gem'
from /usr/bin/rake:17
Raven:~ untz$

When I try to get rake or rails using RubyGems:

Raven:~ untz$ gem install --remote rake
Attempting remote installation of 'rake'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
undefined method `cert_chain=' for #<Gem::Specification:0x712524>
Raven:~ untz$ gem install --remote rails
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
ERROR: While executing gem ... (NoMethodError)
undefined method `cert_chain=' for #<Gem::Specification:0x712524>

And, when I try to see what ruby is installed + the version:

Raven:~ untz$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
Raven:~ untz$ which ruby
/usr/bin/ruby

Thanks for your help, but I wish I never tried it....

Can anyone help me at all? :(

Many, many, thanks!

-Unnsse

On Oct 13, 2005, at 7:07 AM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

[...]

Please try one more thing before you give up. Set up a sylink from /=20
usr/bin/ruby to /usr/local/bin/ruby and then put /use/local/bin and /=20
usr/local/sbin in your $PATH in front of /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.
Here is the blog entry where the shell script I had you run =20
initiated: http://tech.rufy.com/entry/46 . I know many people who =20
went this route to fix Tiger's ruby setup. If this does not work for =20=

you then you can always install ruby from source. If that is what you =20=

need to do then you can rename Tiger's ruby binary to ruby.tiger or =20
something and install from source. I am pasting installation =20
instructions for the whole ruby/rails/lighttpd/fcgi/gems/mysql =20
bindings stack.
I am really sorry that my instructions seemed to have messed =20
things up. I feel horrible. Please try these other suggestions and =20
let me know when you get it fixed. If you encounter more problems I =20
feel obligated and I would gladly install everything for you if you =20
create a temporary ssh account for me that you can erase when the =20
install is done.

I hope it works for you:

-Ezra

Here are instructions for a source install:

These instructions work on OSX, most linux distros and FreeBSD
You can skip ruby if you already have a good copy. But if you only =20
have the
stock ruby that comes with OSX I would compile it from source and =20
rename the
stock OSX ruby and irb to ruby.bak and irb.bak so you don't end up using
them on accident.
Get Ruby1.8.2

curl -O http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/2338/ruby-1.8.2.tar.gz
tar xvzf ruby-*
cd ruby-1.8.2
/configure
make
make test
sudo make install

Get Ruby gems

curl -O http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/3700/rubygems-0.8.10.tgz
tar xvzf rubygems*
cd rubygems*
sudo ruby setup.rb

Get Rails and a few other gems

sudo gem install rails RedCloth search_generator =20
salted_login_generator production_log_analyzer
answer yes to all dependencies

Get mysql-ruby C bindings (the pure ruby ones suck)
This command works great on osx as well using the mysql 4.1.x =20
installer from mysql.com
or the serverlogistics.com mysql as well.
curl -O http://www.tmtm.org/en/mysql/ruby/mysql-ruby-2.7.tar.gz
tar zxvf mysql-ruby-*
cd mysql-ruby-*
ruby extconf.rb --with-mysql-config
make
sudo make install

download fastcgi developers kit

curl -O http://fastcgi.com/dist/fcgi.tar.gz
tar xvzf fcgi-2.4.0.tar.gz
cd fcgi*
/configure
make
sudo make install

Get the new non memory leaking ruby-fastcgi bindings

curl -O http://sugi.nemui.org/pub/ruby/fcgi/ruby-fcgi-0.8.6.tar.gz
tar xzvf ruby-fcgi*
ruby install.rb config --without-ext
ruby install.rb setup
sudo ruby install.rb install

We need the correct pcre .so=92s for lighttpd to work correctly

curl -O ftp://ftp.csx.cam.ac.uk/pub/software/programming/pcre/=20
pcre-5.0.tar.gz
tar xzvf pcre-5.0.tar.gz
cd pcre-*
/configure
make
sudo make install

Get lighttpd
You can install lighttpd 1.4.4 if you want. I'm still using 1.3.16 until
the 1.4 branch settles down.
curl -O http://www.lighttpd.net/download/lighttpd-1.3.16.tar.gz
tar xzvf lighttpd-1.3.13.tar.gz
cd lighttpd-*
/configure
make
sudo make install

Compile php as a fast-cgi binary The main thing here is the following =20=

configure options. You can add whatever else you like to your php =20
binary but these are needed for fast-cgi support.

$ ./configure \
--enable-fastcgi \
--enable-discard-path \
--enable-force-cgi-redirect \

Lighttpd Launcher Script

Here is a link for a sweet enhancement. Put this script in your =20
RAILS_ROOT/script folder and put the lighttpd.conf file in RAILS_ROOT/=20=

config. Now you can launch your rails app by cd=92ing into your =20
RAILS_ROOT for your app and typing:
$ruby script/lighty -p 7500 -e development (or whatever port & env =20
you want to use)

Now you can hit http://localhost:7500/ and you will get your app =20
running on lighttpd no muss no fuss. Very sweet for development. Here =20=

is the link: http://www.bigbold.com/snippets/posts/show/303 . Name =20
the first ruby script lighty and name the config file lighttpd.conf. =20
Now every time you start your app this way is creates a new =20
lighttpd.conf in /tmp and starts lighttpd up with that file. This way =20=

you can give it command line options as to what port to bind to and =20
others. I=92m using this for development and it is sweet!

Ezra,

Your suggestion not only did not help me with fixing the IRB tab =20
completion (its still broken), but it broke a bunch of other =20
things.... :'(

When I try to run rake:

Raven:~ untz$ rake
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:74:in =20
`load_specification': undefined method `cert_chain=3D' for =20
#<Gem::Specification:0x22ae2c> (NoMethodError)
from (eval):1:in `initialize'
from (eval):1:in `new'
from (eval):1:in `load_specification'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:=20
45:in `eval'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:=20
74:in `load_specification'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:=20
45:in `from_installed_gems'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:=20
44:in `each'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:=20
44:in `from_installed_gems'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:=20
63:in `from_installed_gems'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:79:in =20
`source_index'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:135:in `activate'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:37:in =20
`require_gem_with_options'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:31:in =20

# said:
And, when I try to see what ruby is installed + the version:

Raven:~ untz$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
Raven:~ untz$ which ruby
/usr/bin/ruby

Thanks for your help, but I wish I never tried it....

Can anyone help me at all? :(

Many, many, thanks!

-Unnsse

Yes I would still do this. Apple ships a broken version of ruby =20
and this totally fixes it. I have done it on over 10 installs of =20
Tiger. It will go ahead and just write over your rubygems install =20
and worst case scenario you might need to reinstall any gems you =20
already installed. But thats a small price to pay for having a =20
ruby binary that has readline support and can properly build C =20
extensions.

HTH-
-Ezra

Ezra,

I already have RubyGems installed....

Should I still do this?

Regards,

Unnsse

On Oct 13, 2005, at 10:38 AM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

Unnsse-
Here is an easy way to fix the OSX default install of ruby. =20
This will fix the irb completion by installing readline and it =20
will install rubygems for you. Just run this command from the =20
terminal:

$ sudo curl -O rufy.com/fix-ruby-tiger.sh; sh fix-ruby-tiger.sh

Hope that helps-
-Ezra

On Oct 13, 2005, at 7:07 AM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

Thanks James,

I would I "un-install" the Mac OS X Ruby and install the new =20
one (ruby 1.8.3)?

Could I use the RubyGem utility? Or do I login as root and just =20=
download the tar.gz file and unzip
it and then do a configure and then make install? Would this =20
overwrite the ruby 1.8.2 that I have?

The same questions apply to tcl/tk...

Regards,

Unnsse

On Oct 13, 2005, at 6:35 AM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

On Oct 13, 2005, at 2:01 AM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

:) Hello again,

Hello.

I am a Ruby newbie... I am using the following version on Mac =20=
OS X Tiger:

Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ ruby --version
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ which ruby
/usr/bin/ruby

This is Apple's default install, it looks like. There are a =20
few issues with it, so I prefer to build my own version of Ruby.

I am experiencing several problems....

1. My irb doesn't support tab completion (the same version of =20=
Ruby
on WinXP does support tab completion)...

I believe this is one of the issues with Apple's install. If =20
you build the readline library, then build your own copy of =20
Ruby, you should be able to get this going.

2. How do I use similar functionality in irb to clear the =20
buffer, as one would
do in Unix using "clear" and WinXP, using "cls"?

Try pushing Control-L.

3. I copied a simple Draw coding sample and when I tried to =20
run it,
I got an error...

The code for Draw.rb:

[snip code]

I assume this is a TK issue, but I'll let someone who knows =20
more than me address it...

4. What is the *BEST* free Ruby IDE in the world?

I'm a text editor fan, not an IDE guy, so I'll let someone =20
else field this question too...

James Edward Gray II

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
(e-mail address removed)

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
(e-mail address removed)

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
(e-mail address removed)

Unnsse Khan

Ezra,

Why can't I just re-install Ruby so its overwrites the one (which is =20
pre-installed with OS X Tiger) which is located in /usr/bin/ruby?

I don't want to put the new one in my /usr/local/bin/ directory....

Can you please send me step by step instructions that are denoted in =20
numeric sequence?

For example:

1. Grab ruby bundle from URL.

2. unzip and run the following commands..

I am too scared to follow your advice because your advice really =20
screwed a lot of things up...

I am disappointed that not that many other people on this mailing =20
list use OS X Tiger.... Only 2 - 3 people have responded to my inquiry.

Martin Fowler wrote how RubyPeople (http://www.martinfowler.com/bliki/=20=

RubyPeople.html) are a great community, and from the e-mails, that =20
I've been getting from this newsgroup, it seems like the majority of =20
the community are hard core Linux users.....

Kindest regards,

Unnsse

Please try one more thing before you give up. Set up a sylink from /=20=
usr/bin/ruby to /usr/local/bin/ruby and then put /use/local/bin =20
and /usr/local/sbin in your $PATH in front of /usr/bin and /usr/sbin.
Here is the blog entry where the shell script I had you run =20
initiated: http://tech.rufy.com/entry/46 . I know many people who =20
went this route to fix Tiger's ruby setup. If this does not work =20
for you then you can always install ruby from source. If that is =20
what you need to do then you can rename Tiger's ruby binary to =20
ruby.tiger or something and install from source. I am pasting =20
installation instructions for the whole ruby/rails/lighttpd/fcgi/=20
gems/mysql bindings stack.
I am really sorry that my instructions seemed to have messed =20
things up. I feel horrible. Please try these other suggestions and =20
let me know when you get it fixed. If you encounter more problems I =20=
feel obligated and I would gladly install everything for you if you =20=
create a temporary ssh account for me that you can erase when the =20
install is done.

I hope it works for you:

-Ezra

Here are instructions for a source install:

These instructions work on OSX, most linux distros and FreeBSD
You can skip ruby if you already have a good copy. But if you only =20
have the
stock ruby that comes with OSX I would compile it from source and =20
rename the
stock OSX ruby and irb to ruby.bak and irb.bak so you don't end up =20
[...]

You can install lighttpd 1.4.4 if you want. I'm still using 1.3.16 =20
until
the 1.4 branch settles down.
curl -O http://www.lighttpd.net/download/lighttpd-1.3.16.tar.gz
tar xzvf lighttpd-1.3.13.tar.gz
cd lighttpd-*
./configure
make
sudo make install

Compile php as a fast-cgi binary The main thing here is the =20
following configure options. You can add whatever else you like to =20
your php binary but these are needed for fast-cgi support.

$ ./configure \
--enable-fastcgi \
--enable-discard-path \
--enable-force-cgi-redirect \

Lighttpd Launcher Script

Here is a link for a sweet enhancement. Put this script in your =20
RAILS_ROOT/script folder and put the lighttpd.conf file in =20
RAILS_ROOT/config. Now you can launch your rails app by cd=92ing into =20=
your RAILS_ROOT for your app and typing:
$ruby script/lighty -p 7500 -e development (or whatever port & env =20
you want to use)

Now you can hit http://localhost:7500/ and you will get your app =20
running on lighttpd no muss no fuss. Very sweet for development. =20
Here is the link: http://www.bigbold.com/snippets/posts/show/303 . =20
Name the first ruby script lighty and name the config file =20
lighttpd.conf. Now every time you start your app this way is =20
creates a new lighttpd.conf in /tmp and starts lighttpd up with =20
that file. This way you can give it command line options as to what =20=
port to bind to and others. I=92m using this for development and it =20=
[...]

from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:135:in =20
`activate'

On Oct 13, 2005, at 2:00 PM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

Ezra,

I already have RubyGems installed....

Should I still do this?

Regards,

Unnsse

On Oct 13, 2005, at 10:38 AM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

Unnsse-
Here is an easy way to fix the OSX default install of ruby. =20=
This will fix the irb completion by installing readline and it =20
will install rubygems for you. Just run this command from the =20
terminal:

$ sudo curl -O rufy.com/fix-ruby-tiger.sh; sh fix-ruby-tiger.sh

Hope that helps-
-Ezra

On Oct 13, 2005, at 7:07 AM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

Thanks James,

I would I "un-install" the Mac OS X Ruby and install the new =20
one (ruby 1.8.3)?

Could I use the RubyGem utility? Or do I login as root and =20
just download the tar.gz file and unzip
it and then do a configure and then make install? Would this =20
overwrite the ruby 1.8.2 that I have?

The same questions apply to tcl/tk...

Regards,

Unnsse

On Oct 13, 2005, at 6:35 AM, James Edward Gray II wrote:

On Oct 13, 2005, at 2:01 AM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

:) Hello again,

Hello.

I am a Ruby newbie... I am using the following version on =20
Mac OS X Tiger:

Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ ruby --version
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [powerpc-darwin8.0]
Raven:/Developer/DevResources/Ruby/Draw untz$ which ruby
/usr/bin/ruby

This is Apple's default install, it looks like. There are a =20
few issues with it, so I prefer to build my own version of Ruby.

I am experiencing several problems....

1. My irb doesn't support tab completion (the same version =20
[...]

OK here is a numbered list of steps to reinstall ruby from source =20
over your old ruby install at /usr/bin/ruby.

1. Get Ruby1.8.2
curl -O http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/2338/ruby-1.8.2.tar.gz

2 untar it and cd into the source directory
tar xvzf ruby-*
cd ruby-1.8.2

3. configure the makefiles. and tell it to install in /usr/bin
/configure --prefix=3D/usr

4. compile the source
make

5. test the compiled source for errors
make test

6. install the newly built binaries if no errors in the tests
sudo make install

Now lets install rubygems from source:

1. Get rubygems
curl -O http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/3700/rubygems-0.8.10.tgz

2. untar and cd into source directory
tar xvzf rubygems*
cd rubygems*

3. set up and install rubygems
sudo ruby setup.rb all --prefix=3D/usr

Now ruby and ruby gems should be installed. try to install a gem and =20
let me know when it worked.

Also I think you will find that a bunch of ruby folk use OSX. But the =20=

yearly rubyconf is starting tomorrow so many of them are not lurking =20
on the list today. Also have you tried the rails list? There are a =20
ton of OSX users on that list. Also I think that most people on ruby-=20
talk have answered the rails questions so many times that you will =20
have much better response for rails questions on the rails list: =20
http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo.

Let me know when this works for you and if you need any more help.

-Ezra

Ezra,

Why can't I just re-install Ruby so its overwrites the one (which =20
is pre-installed with OS X Tiger) which is located in /usr/bin/ruby?

I don't want to put the new one in my /usr/local/bin/ directory....

Can you please send me step by step instructions that are denoted =20
in numeric sequence?

For example:

1. Grab ruby bundle from URL.

2. unzip and run the following commands..

I am too scared to follow your advice because your advice really =20
screwed a lot of things up...

I am disappointed that not that many other people on this mailing =20
list use OS X Tiger.... Only 2 - 3 people have responded to my =20
inquiry.

Martin Fowler wrote how RubyPeople (http://www.martinfowler.com/=20
bliki/RubyPeople.html) are a great community, and from the e-mails, =20=
that I've been getting from this newsgroup, it seems like the =20
majority of the community are hard core Linux users.....

Kindest regards,

Unnsse

Please try one more thing before you give up. Set up a sylink =20
from /usr/bin/ruby to /usr/local/bin/ruby and then put /use/local/=20
bin and /usr/local/sbin in your $PATH in front of /usr/bin and /=20
usr/sbin.
Here is the blog entry where the shell script I had you run =20
initiated: http://tech.rufy.com/entry/46 . I know many people who =20
went this route to fix Tiger's ruby setup. If this does not work =20
for you then you can always install ruby from source. If that is =20
what you need to do then you can rename Tiger's ruby binary to =20
ruby.tiger or something and install from source. I am pasting =20
installation instructions for the whole ruby/rails/lighttpd/fcgi/=20
gems/mysql bindings stack.
I am really sorry that my instructions seemed to have messed =20
things up. I feel horrible. Please try these other suggestions and =20=
let me know when you get it fixed. If you encounter more problems =20
I feel obligated and I would gladly install everything for you if =20
you create a temporary ssh account for me that you can erase when =20
the install is done.

curl -O http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/3700/=20
[...]

RAILS_ROOT/config. Now you can launch your rails app by cd=92ing =20
into your RAILS_ROOT for your app and typing:
$ruby script/lighty -p 7500 -e development (or whatever port & env =20=
you want to use)

Now you can hit http://localhost:7500/ and you will get your app =20
running on lighttpd no muss no fuss. Very sweet for development. =20
Here is the link: http://www.bigbold.com/snippets/posts/show/303 . =20=
Name the first ruby script lighty and name the config file =20
lighttpd.conf. Now every time you start your app this way is =20
creates a new lighttpd.conf in /tmp and starts lighttpd up with =20
that file. This way you can give it command line options as to =20
what port to bind to and others. I=92m using this for development =20
[...]

undefined method `cert_chain=3D' for #<Gem::Specification:=20

On Oct 13, 2005, at 2:48 PM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

Yes I would still do this. Apple ships a broken version of ruby =20
and this totally fixes it. I have done it on over 10 installs of =20=
Tiger. It will go ahead and just write over your rubygems =20
install and worst case scenario you might need to reinstall any =20
gems you already installed. But thats a small price to pay for =20
having a ruby binary that has readline support and can properly =20
build C extensions.

HTH-
-Ezra

On Oct 13, 2005, at 2:00 PM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

Ezra,

I already have RubyGems installed....

Should I still do this?

Regards,

Unnsse

On Oct 13, 2005, at 10:38 AM, Ezra Zygmuntowicz wrote:

Unnsse-
Here is an easy way to fix the OSX default install of =20
ruby. This will fix the irb completion by installing readline =20
and it will install rubygems for you. Just run this command =20
[...]

few issues with it, so I prefer to build my own version of =20
Ruby.

I am experiencing several problems....

1. My irb doesn't support tab completion (the same version =20
of Ruby
on WinXP does support tab completion)...

I believe this is one of the issues with Apple's install. =20
If you build the readline library, then build your own copy =20
[...]

I followed your instructions, word for word...

2 things:

1. The IRB tab completion still isn't working (maybe its not meant to =20=

be on OS X)

2. When I tried invoking gem, this is what happened:

Last login: Thu Oct 13 16:33:54 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Raven:~ untz$ gem
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in =20
`require__': No such file to load -- syck (LoadError)
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
21:in `require'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml/syck.rb:5
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
21:in `require__'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
21:in `require'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:9
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
21:in `require__'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
21:in `require'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/package.rb:6
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
21:in `require__'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
21:in `require'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/builder.rb:1
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
21:in `require__'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:=20
21:in `require'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:61:in =20
`manage_gems'
from /usr/bin/gem:4
Raven:~ untz$

The IRB tab completion was a nice feature that I am missing out on, =20
but what's sad is that a crucial tool such as RubyGems is broken...

Thanks for your advice... Too bad, that I have this bad luck. I =20
really can't believe that no one else knows the solution to this =20
problem... Well, I guess I'll continue Java development, instead of =20
learning this language which supposedly has a "great community"...

Many, many thanks!

-Unnsse

[...]

Now ruby and ruby gems should be installed. try to install a gem =20
and let me know when it worked.

Also I think you will find that a bunch of ruby folk use OSX. But =20
the yearly rubyconf is starting tomorrow so many of them are not =20
lurking on the list today. Also have you tried the rails list? =20
There are a ton of OSX users on that list. Also I think that most =20
people on ruby-talk have answered the rails questions so many times =20=
that you will have much better response for rails questions on the =20
rails list: http://lists.rubyonrails.org/mailman/listinfo.

[...]

bliki/RubyPeople.html) are a great community, and from the e-=20
mails, that I've been getting from this newsgroup, it seems like =20
the majority of the community are hard core Linux users.....

[...]

things up. I feel horrible. Please try these other suggestions =20
and let me know when you get it fixed. If you encounter more =20
problems I feel obligated and I would gladly install everything =20
for you if you create a temporary ssh account for me that you can =20=
erase when the install is done.

I hope it works for you:

-Ezra

Here are instructions for a source install:

These instructions work on OSX, most linux distros and FreeBSD
You can skip ruby if you already have a good copy. But if you =20
only have the
stock ruby that comes with OSX I would compile it from source and =20=
rename the
stock OSX ruby and irb to ruby.bak and irb.bak so you don't end =20
[...]

You can install lighttpd 1.4.4 if you want. I'm still using =20
1.3.16 until
the 1.4 branch settles down.
curl -O http://www.lighttpd.net/download/lighttpd-1.3.16.tar.gz
tar xzvf lighttpd-1.3.13.tar.gz
cd lighttpd-*
./configure
make
sudo make install

Compile php as a fast-cgi binary The main thing here is the =20
following configure options. You can add whatever else you like =20
to your php binary but these are needed for fast-cgi support.

$ ./configure \
--enable-fastcgi \
--enable-discard-path \
--enable-force-cgi-redirect \

Lighttpd Launcher Script

Here is a link for a sweet enhancement. Put this script in your =20
RAILS_ROOT/script folder and put the lighttpd.conf file in =20
RAILS_ROOT/config. Now you can launch your rails app by cd=92ing =20
into your RAILS_ROOT for your app and typing:
$ruby script/lighty -p 7500 -e development (or whatever port & =20
env you want to use)

Now you can hit http://localhost:7500/ and you will get your app =20
running on lighttpd no muss no fuss. Very sweet for development. =20
Here is the link: http://www.bigbold.com/snippets/posts/show/=20
303 . Name the first ruby script lighty and name the config file =20

On Oct 13, 2005, at 3:11 PM, Unnsse Khan wrote:

Ezra,

Your suggestion not only did not help me with fixing the IRB tab =20=
completion (its still broken), but it broke a bunch of other =20
things.... :'(

When I try to run rake:

Raven:~ untz$ rake
/usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/source_index.rb:74:in =20
`load_specification': undefined method `cert_chain=3D' for =20
#<Gem::Specification:0x22ae2c> (NoMethodError)
from (eval):1:in `initialize'
from (eval):1:in `new'
from (eval):1:in `load_specification'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/=20
source_index.rb:45:in `eval'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/=20
source_index.rb:74:in `load_specification'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/=20
source_index.rb:45:in `from_installed_gems'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/=20
source_index.rb:44:in `each'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/=20
source_index.rb:44:in `from_installed_gems'
from /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/=20
source_index.rb:63:in `from_installed_gems'
[...]

and this totally fixes it. I have done it on over 10 installs =20
of Tiger. It will go ahead and just write over your rubygems =20
[...]

This is Apple's default install, it looks like. There are =20
a few issues with it, so I prefer to build my own version =20
of Ruby.

I am experiencing several problems....

1. My irb doesn't support tab completion (the same version =20=
of Ruby
on WinXP does support tab completion)...

I believe this is one of the issues with Apple's install. =20
If you build the readline library, then build your own copy =20=
of Ruby, you should be able to get this going.

2. How do I use similar functionality in irb to clear the =20
buffer, as one would
do in Unix using "clear" and WinXP, using "cls"?

Try pushing Control-L.

3. I copied a simple Draw coding sample and when I tried =20
[...]

Joe Van Dyk

[...]

Haven't followed this thread, but Apple has a broken Ruby.

Get the Ruby source, compile it yourself, install it into /usr/local,
and be happy with Ruby on OS X.

tar zxf ruby-1.8.2.tar.gz
cd ruby-1.8.2
/configure --prefix=3D/usr/local
make
sudo make install

And adjust your path so that /usr/local/bin is before /usr/bin.

Unnsse Khan

Dear Joe Van Dyk:

I followed Ezra's instructions and grabbed the source, compiled it,
and placed
it in /usr/, not "/usr/local/" and therefore, I don't see what the
difference is?

The only difference is the location of directories....

These that I followed are (from Ezra) are:

1. Get Ruby1.8.2
curl -O http://rubyforge.org/frs/download.php/2338/ruby-1.8.2.tar.gz

2 untar it and cd into the source directory
tar xvzf ruby-*
cd ruby-1.8.2

3. configure the makefiles. and tell it to install in /usr/bin
/configure --prefix=/usr

4. compile the source
make

5. test the compiled source for errors
make test

6. install the newly built binaries if no errors in the tests
sudo make install

Ezra's instructions didn't fix my "tab completion" problem on IRB,
and did
break my RubyGems install...... I really thought that one could fix
their Ruby distribution
by using RubyGems... RubyGems are very important so please someone,
could anyone help me?

Kindest regards,

Unnsse