Problem with PY2EXE and VPython

bap

When I try to run a program on a clean machine using the VPython extensions
after compiling with PY2EXE I get the following error message: "The
procedure entry point IsWow64Process could not be located in the dynamic
link library KERNEL32.dll" . The compiled version runs fine on the original
machine (win NT OS) but gives this error message on a machine without
VPython installed (Win 2K OS). Is this anything that can be fixed with
appropriate parameters in PY2EXE or does it require that VPython be tweaked?
Any help appriciated.

Bruce Peterson

Arthur

When I try to run a program on a clean machine using the VPython extensions
after compiling with PY2EXE I get the following error message: "The
procedure entry point IsWow64Process could not be located in the dynamic
link library KERNEL32.dll" . The compiled version runs fine on the original
machine (win NT OS) but gives this error message on a machine without
VPython installed (Win 2K OS). Is this anything that can be fixed with
appropriate parameters in PY2EXE or does it require that VPython be tweaked?
Any help appriciated.

At:

http://www.dstoys.com/content/education/index_html/Visual Arts/Interactive

I have the VPython Tower of Hanoi demo as a Windows executable.

It is an older version of VPython and of Python.

I would be curious to know if there are problems running this on your
machine without VPython installed.

If it runs OK, we can see from there what I might have done
differently from you in building the executable.

Art

Thomas Heller

bap said:
When I try to run a program on a clean machine using the VPython extensions
after compiling with PY2EXE I get the following error message: "The
procedure entry point IsWow64Process could not be located in the dynamic
link library KERNEL32.dll" . The compiled version runs fine on the original
machine (win NT OS) but gives this error message on a machine without
VPython installed (Win 2K OS). Is this anything that can be fixed with
appropriate parameters in PY2EXE or does it require that VPython be tweaked?

This error looks like that py2exe is picking up some 'system dlls' into
the dist directory, which are (sometimes) system specific.

If you post the list of files that are in the dist directory, it might
be possible to name them.

Earlier versions of py2exe had a builtin list of dlls which should be
ignored, this list will again be in the next version.

Thomas

bap

Thanks
The following files are in the distribution directory created by PY2EXE
cvisual.dll
datetime.pyd
DDRAW.dll
dirlist.txt
GLU32.dll
hanoi.exe
library.zip
multiarray.pyd
OPENGL32.dll
python23.dll
umath.pyd
w9xpopen.exe
_numpy.pyd
_sre.pyd

None appear to be extraneous system files.

Bruce

bap

Art
Thanks for the pointer-- I did download and install your example. I did
two tests. One is on a perfectly clean machine (a win2k system on
Virtual_PC -- only operating system is on system, no Office or any Python
distributions). The second machine is a Win2k system that has VB, Office,
Python (but not Vpython) and much else. On the clean machine -- I get an
error message about MSVCP60.DLL not being found. On the second machine it
works. Both systems give me the WOW64Process error when TOH is compiled
using the latest (0.5) PY2EXE, Python 2.3.2, and VPython 2003-10-05.
BTW the new PY2EXE appears to be quite a bit simpler to use than the old.
Bruce
(e-mail address removed)

Thomas Heller

Bruce, I could not reply to the private mail you sent me (some permanent
error at the mail server), so here it goes:

Bruce said:
Thomas
Thanks -- here are the files in the distribution directory created
by PY2EXE for tower of Hanoi demo.
cvisual.dll
datetime.pyd
DDRAW.dll
dirlist.txt
GLU32.dll
hanoi.exe
library.zip
multiarray.pyd
OPENGL32.dll
python23.dll
umath.pyd
w9xpopen.exe
_numpy.pyd
_sre.pyd

Bruce, you should at least remove these files from the dist dir, and
make sure in other ways that opengl and direct draw (is this directX, or
how it's called?) is installed on the target system:
DDRAW.dll
GLU32.dll
OPENGL32.dll

I'm not sure where cvisual.dll comes from. (10 seconds later, after
googling around: ah, it's from VPython, so it must stay).

The other files are Python extensions.

Thomas

bap

Thomas
Thanks -- removing the OPENGL dlls did the trick. Turns out they are
included with Windows2k (and xp and Nt) -- which I once knew, but anyway
having another copy apparently greatly confused Windows.

Bruce