problem with sending emails with CDO

Cas

Hi,

I run IIS 5.0 on windows 2000 server sp4. This server is connected to the
ISP with adsl modem.
I put ASP code (found on internet) in order to send emails with CDO: (see
below)
When running that page, i get the error: "HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer"
No idea why.
I wonder whether the first 4 lines must be between comments.
Another point: do i need to install SMTP service of my IIS server, or (what
i think) can i use the SMTP service of my ISP?

Thanks
Cas

<!--
METADATA
TYPE="typelib"
UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library"
-->
<%
Set cdoConfig = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
With cdoConfig.Fields
.Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPort
.Item(cdoSMTPServer) = "smtp_ of_ my_ ISP"
.Update
End With
Set cdoMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
With cdoMessage
Set .Configuration = cdoConfig
.From = "(e-mail address removed)"
.To = "(e-mail address removed)"
.Subject = "test with CDO"
.TextBody = "it works"
.Send
End With
Set cdoMessage = Nothing
Set cdoConfig = Nothing
%>

Jeff Cochran

I run IIS 5.0 on windows 2000 server sp4. This server is connected to the
ISP with adsl modem.
I put ASP code (found on internet) in order to send emails with CDO: (see
below)
When running that page, i get the error: "HTTP 500 - Internal server error
Internet Explorer"
No idea why.

FAQ:

Why do I get a 500 Internal Server error for all ASP errors?
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109
I wonder whether the first 4 lines must be between comments.
Another point: do i need to install SMTP service of my IIS server, or (what
i think) can i use the SMTP service of my ISP?

Provided you have access to send through it, you can use any SMTP
server with CDO. That's what cdoSMTPServer is used for.

Jeff

Cas

Maybe one more point:
the first four lines are between comments, so how can they be interpreted by
ASP?
Thanks

Ray at

It's kinda like an include, in a way, but it's "including" a COM type
library instead of a file. ASP looks for the <!-- METADATA "comment."

Ray at work

Aaron [SQL Server MVP]

It's a pre-processing directive, like #include or @language. This specific
directive tells ASP to load the CDO library so the code can use named
constants instead of their numeric equivalents. You can do a similar thing
for ado constants as an alternative to loading the quite hefty adovbs.inc.

Cas

Ok, thanks again

--
http://www.aspfaq.com/