problem with sending emails with CDO

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Cas, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Cas

    Cas Guest

    Hi,

    I run IIS 5.0 on windows 2000 server sp4. This server is connected to the
    ISP with adsl modem.
    I put ASP code (found on internet) in order to send emails with CDO: (see
    below)
    When running that page, i get the error: "HTTP 500 - Internal server error
    Internet Explorer"
    No idea why.
    I wonder whether the first 4 lines must be between comments.
    Another point: do i need to install SMTP service of my IIS server, or (what
    i think) can i use the SMTP service of my ISP?

    Thanks
    Cas

    <!--
    METADATA
    TYPE="typelib"
    UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D"
    NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library"
    -->
    <%
    Set cdoConfig = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
    With cdoConfig.Fields
    .Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPort
    .Item(cdoSMTPServer) = "smtp_ of_ my_ ISP"
    .Update
    End With
    Set cdoMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")
    With cdoMessage
    Set .Configuration = cdoConfig
    .From = ""
    .To = ""
    .Subject = "test with CDO"
    .TextBody = "it works"
    .Send
    End With
    Set cdoMessage = Nothing
    Set cdoConfig = Nothing
    %>

    Cas, Jul 19, 2004

  2. When running that page, i get the error: "HTTP 500 - Internal server error
    Find out what the real error message is.
    http://www.aspfaq.com/2109

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jul 19, 2004

  3. Cas

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    FAQ:

    Why do I get a 500 Internal Server error for all ASP errors?
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2109
    Provided you have access to send through it, you can use any SMTP
    server with CDO. That's what cdoSMTPServer is used for.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Jul 19, 2004
  4. Cas

    Ray at Guest

    Ray at, Jul 19, 2004
  5. Cas

    Cas Guest

    thanks

    Cas, Jul 19, 2004
  6. Cas

    Cas Guest

    Maybe one more point:
    the first four lines are between comments, so how can they be interpreted by
    ASP?
    Thanks

    Cas, Jul 19, 2004
  7. Cas

    Ray at Guest

    It's kinda like an include, in a way, but it's "including" a COM type
    library instead of a file. ASP looks for the <!-- METADATA "comment."

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jul 19, 2004
  8. It's a pre-processing directive, like #include or @language. This specific
    directive tells ASP to load the CDO library so the code can use named
    constants instead of their numeric equivalents. You can do a similar thing
    for ado constants as an alternative to loading the quite hefty adovbs.inc.

    Aaron [SQL Server MVP], Jul 19, 2004
  9. Cas

    Cas Guest

    Ok, thanks again