Problem with uuid package when embedding a python interpreter

Jérôme Fuselier

Hello,
I've tried to import a script in an embedded python intrepreter but
this script fails when it imports the uuid module. I have a
segmentation fault in Py_Finalize().

Here is a simple program which imitate my problem.

main.c :

#include "Python.h"

void test() {
Py_Initialize();
PyImport_Import(PyString_FromString("uuid"));
Py_Finalize();
}

main(int argc, char **argv)
{
for (i=0 ; i < 10; i++)
test();
}

For my application, I have to call Py_initialize and Py_Finalize
several times so factorizing them in the main function is not an easy
solution for me.

The core which is produced gives me this error :
#0 0x00190ef6 in type_dealloc (type=0x291320) at Objects/typeobject.c:
2609
2609 _PyObject_GC_UNTRACK(type);

Thanks for your help
Jerome

Gabriel Genellina

En Tue, 30 Jun 2009 13:05:42 -0300, Jérôme Fuselier
I've tried to import a script in an embedded python intrepreter but
this script fails when it imports the uuid module. I have a
segmentation fault in Py_Finalize().

#include "Python.h"

void test() {
Py_Initialize();
PyImport_Import(PyString_FromString("uuid"));
Py_Finalize();
}

main(int argc, char **argv)
{
for (i=0 ; i < 10; i++)
test();
}

For my application, I have to call Py_initialize and Py_Finalize
several times so factorizing them in the main function is not an easy
solution for me.

Are you sure you can't do that? Not even using Py_IsInitialized? Try to
avoid repeatedly calling Py_Initialize - won't work.

Python 2.x does not have a way to "un-initialize" an extension module
(that's a big flaw in Python design). Modules that contain global state
are likely to crash the interpreter when used by the second time. (Python
3 attempts to fix that)

Jérôme Fuselier

<[email protected]> escribió:

Are you sure you can't do that? Not even using Py_IsInitialized? Try to
avoid repeatedly calling Py_Initialize - won't work.

Python 2.x does not have a way to "un-initialize" an extension module
(that's a big flaw in Python design). Modules that contain global state
are likely to crash the interpreter when used by the second time. (Python
3 attempts to fix that)

Hi Gabriel,
Thanks for your response. I can modify my code to call
Py_IsInitialized which I didn't know before and this works well. The
problem is that I did not own the process which calls Py_Initialize
and Py_Finalize. I'm able to call Py_Initialize correctly but I can't
call Py_Finalize so this is not perfect.

At least I have a temporary solution which is not too bad.
Thanks,
Jerome

Aahz

I've tried to import a script in an embedded python intrepreter but
this script fails when it imports the uuid module. I have a
segmentation fault in Py_Finalize().

You may want to also ask on the capi-sig mailing list.