Problems running website

Jeff

Good Morning,

I am just learning how to host A website. I have created a simple ASP.net
Web Application in Visual Studio 2008 (Visual Basic). When viewing it within
Visual Studio everything works as it should.
I have now set up a Windows 2003 Web Edition Server, I have created one site
that is just a regualr static html site and got that up and running and
figured out all the permissions and I can now view that site no problem.
The ASP Web Application site though I can not get to show for anything,
first thing all I did was copy the folder from my laptop where I created the
app to a folder on ther server, doing that all i got was a 404 error, so I
then figured out I needed to Publish the website from VS2008 so I published
the the application to a file then copied the file over to the server, it
got rid of the error 404 message so it nows seems to be finding the file but
when I right click on the site on the server to browse it wants to download
a file, file is localhost[1] from localhost. If i cancel this file it just
stops, if i say open file it eventually brings up my defaut page in the
website but does not have any of the controls or any functionality just the
static text within the page? When I go to another computer and I navigate
to the webpage it does the same, it wants to down load this file but that is
all it does it does not open the page? I am confussed on what file it is
wanting to down load and why it will not open the page?
I created a sample ASP page just to verify that ASP extensions were working
and that I had them started. I opened notepad wrote a small app to just
display some text and pull back the time off the server, everything is
contained in the one notepad file, That file i can get to work no problem
also, it comes right up when i have that one running.

I have tried several different sites that were created using VS2008 and each
one I can not get to work each one keeps trying to download that
localhost[1] file.

Does anyone know what setting I might have wrong or not activated? I have
been trying to figure this out for days with every setting i can find, and
followed examples in the book and everything I see seems to indicate I
followed the instructions correctly but something is wrong somewhere I just
do not know where it is wrong, IIS, Webserver, Or VS2008.

Thanks for any help,

Jeff

Guest

Good Morning,

I am just learning how to host A website.  I have created a simple ASP.net
Web Application in Visual Studio 2008 (Visual Basic). When viewing it within
Visual Studio everything works as it should.
I have now set up a Windows 2003 Web Edition Server, I have created one site
that is just a regualr static html site and got that up and running and
figured out all the permissions and I can now view that site no problem.
The ASP Web Application site though I can not get to show for anything,
first thing all I did was copy the folder from my laptop where I created the
app to a folder on ther server, doing that all i got was a 404 error, so I

It sounds like something wrong with IIS mapping in IIS - Website
properties - Home Directory - Configuration - Mappings. Check if it
has aspx, asax and so on and the path to .net is correct. It might be
that you would need to run aspnet_regiis from the command prompt to
fix this or you can try to go ASP.NET tab under Website properties and
fix ASP.NET configuration.

If this works with your test page, you can try to copy the site
manually to the server and see if this would work.

Guest

It sounds like something wrong with IIS mapping in IIS - Website
properties - Home Directory - Configuration - Mappings. Check if it
has aspx, asax and so on and the path to .net is correct. It might be
that you would need to run aspnet_regiis from the command prompt to
fix this or you can try to go ASP.NET tab under Website properties and
fix ASP.NET configuration.

If this works with your test page, you can try to copy the site
manually to the server and see if this would work.

I tried to remove mappings for ASAX and ASPX and got 404 for my test
site. After this I tried to run aspnet_isapi.dll -i and it doesn't
help to fix this. So, I think the only way is to create the new
website and point it to the right directory.

Jeff

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for the help, here is where i am at now. I went to Add / Remove
Programs in server and found that FTP, Frontpage Extensions, and ASP.Net
applications where not showing as being installed so I added those features,
then resatred iss and pointed to website atleast now I am not getting the
file download any more but I am getting the following error whenever I point
to any of the ASP sites that I created.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized attribute 'type'.

Source Error:

Line 10: <configuration>
Line 11: <configSections>
Line 12: <sectionGroup name="system.web.extensions"
type="System.Web.Configuration.SystemWebExtensionsSectionGroup,
System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
Line 13: <sectionGroup name="scripting"
type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingSectionGroup, System.Web.Extensions,
Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35">
Line 14: <section name="scriptResourceHandler"
type="System.Web.Configuration.ScriptingScriptResourceHandlerSection,
System.Web.Extensions, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" requirePermission="false"
allowDefinition="MachineToApplication"/>

Source File: C:\Inetpub\MysticReservations\web.config Line: 12

Version:1.1.4322.573

Now what I am wondering and am trying to find information on is the last
line of the error above says ASP.Net version 1.1, Do I need a newer version
in order to run these? Isnt it up to 3.5 now?
I do not know if this is my problem now? any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----

[...]

Do you mean by "I created a sample ASP page just to verify that ASP
extensions were working" that you've tested against ASP (not ASP.NET)?
I thought that was about .NET ;-)

Regarding error message. It says at the end "Version Information:
Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:
1.1.4322.573". Do you use 1.1 in your VS.NET 2008 project? I believe
it's 2.0 or 3.5. In the solution explorer go to your project
properties and check what target framework you have setup. Then go to
IIS, website properties and see ASP.NET tab.

If you have no ASP.NET tab, check if ASP:NET extensions were enabled
in IIS Extensions.

Hope this helps

Jeff

Hi Alexey,

Thanks for the help, here is where i am at now. I went to Add / Remove
Programs in server and found that FTP, Frontpage Extensions, and ASP.Net
applications where not showing as being installed so I added those
features,
then resatred iss and pointed to website atleast now I am not getting the
file download any more but I am getting the following error whenever I
point
to any of the ASP sites that I created.

Server Error in '/' Application.
-----

Configuration Error
file

[...]

Correct I did create a sample ASP page (not ASP.Net) to verify extensions
and it worked but not my ASP.Net
I am now understanding there is a difference :)

Regarding error message. It says at the end "Version Information:
Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:
1.1.4322.573". Do you use 1.1 in your VS.NET 2008 project? I believe
it's 2.0 or 3.5. In the solution explorer go to your project
properties and check what target framework you have setup.

Ok I checked in VS2008 and indeed it does target .Net Framework 3.5

Then go to
IIS, website properties and see ASP.NET tab.

I do not see an ASP.Net tab, I do see a server extention 2002 tab but it
says server has not been configured and to go to the task page for server
and setup configuration.
As soon as I can figure out where that is, I will do that :)

If you have no ASP.NET tab, check if ASP:NET extensions were enabled
in IIS Extensions.

Hope this helps

So right now I went to Microsoft to download and install .Net Framework 3.5
but before I can do that I have to update server to Service Pack 2.
So as soon as I can get the Service pack 2 installed and then the 3.5
framework installed I will see what happens and post back here.

Thank You very much for your continued help,

Jeff

Guest

[...]

No problem, let me know if it works

Guest

No problem, let me know if it works

BTW, maybe you don't need to download anything if you can change
target framework to .NET 2 in VS.NET. If you don't use AJAX and LINQ
you can try to "downgrade" your project. Win2003 has .NET2 built-in
(no separate download required).

Jeff

No problem, let me know if it works

BTW, maybe you don't need to download anything if you can change
target framework to .NET 2 in VS.NET. If you don't use AJAX and LINQ
you can try to "downgrade" your project. Win2003 has .NET2 built-in
(no separate download required).

Ok after installing windows server service pack 2 and then installing the
..Net Framework 3.5 The ASP tab does show up in IIS now and I was able to
pick the correct version and now I have been able to get atleast two of my
test ASP.NET Application sites to work.

Thanks alot for the input and looking in the right direction.

Jeff

Guest

BTW, maybe you don't need to download anything if you can change
target framework to .NET 2 in VS.NET. If you don't use AJAX and LINQ
you can try to "downgrade" your project. Win2003 has .NET2 built-in
(no separate download required).

Ok after installing windows server service pack 2 and then installing the
.Net Framework 3.5 The ASP tab does show up in IIS now and I was able to
pick the correct version and now I have been able to get atleast two of my
test ASP.NET Application sites to work.

Thanks alot for the input and looking in the right direction.

Jeff

Great, glad it works now for you!