Problems running Win32 DLL with DOS Extender

Nawabzada

Hello Friends -

I'm working on a DOS box and received a DLL from a vendor (so I don't
have source code). This DLL is required for my C program.

I have 3 versions of the DLL: Borland-compatible 16-bit DOS,
Microsoft-compatible 16-bit DOS, Microsoft-compatible 32-bit Windows.

I have been using the Microsoft 16-bit version using MSVC 1.52 (this is
the version of the compiler compatible with this DOS DLL). And it's
been working great, however, my program needs to dynamically allocate
more than 65535 bytes of memory (which of course is the limitation of
16-bit DOS).

So it looked like my only option was to use a DOS Extender to compile
my program as a DOS 32-bit program. So I used Borland C++ 5.01 to
compile a Win32 program and then used WDOSX DOS Extender to convert
that into a DOS 32-bit program. The program runs, but it's having
problems running the Win32 DLL.

So is there a way to convert a Win32 DLL to be compatible with a DOS32
program (created using a DOS Extender)?

Or alternatively, is there a way to statically link in a Win32 DLL into
a Win32 project to create a Win32 EXE? It's possible if I can create
an EXE with the DLL library linked into it that I can then convert that
"complete" EXE into a working DOS32 application using the DOS Extender.

Thanks for Your Attention.

-n

Keith Thompson

Nawabzada said:
I'm working on a DOS box and received a DLL from a vendor (so I don't
have source code). This DLL is required for my C program.

I have 3 versions of the DLL: Borland-compatible 16-bit DOS,
Microsoft-compatible 16-bit DOS, Microsoft-compatible 32-bit Windows.
[snip]

As far as I can tell, you question isn't about the
C programming language. Try a different newsgroup.
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32 or one of the microsoft.*
groups might be able to help you.

jacob navia

Nawabzada said:
Hello Friends -

I'm working on a DOS box and received a DLL from a vendor (so I don't
have source code). This DLL is required for my C program.

I have 3 versions of the DLL: Borland-compatible 16-bit DOS,
Microsoft-compatible 16-bit DOS, Microsoft-compatible 32-bit Windows.

I have been using the Microsoft 16-bit version using MSVC 1.52 (this is
the version of the compiler compatible with this DOS DLL). And it's
been working great, however, my program needs to dynamically allocate
more than 65535 bytes of memory (which of course is the limitation of
16-bit DOS).

So it looked like my only option was to use a DOS Extender to compile
my program as a DOS 32-bit program.

No, the other option is to port your program to windows 32.
That would be a clean solution

Kenny McCormack

Nawabzada wrote: ....
No, the other option is to port your program to windows 32.
That would be a clean solution

Obviously, it is impossible to answer this question without knowing what
his real constraints are. Why is he using DOS - why can't he just run
it under Windows?

To the OP: Feel free to discuss it here; we'll do what we can to help.
Just ignore all the net-nannies (you know who you are...) who tell you
to stuff your problem, well you know where.

Boon

Kenny said:
To the OP: Feel free to discuss it here; we'll do what we can to help.

To the OP: if you're looking for Windows experts, you'll have to post to
a Windows-specific newsgroup.

Ben Bacarisse

jacob navia said:
No, the other option is to port your program to windows 32.

Depending on the definition of "DOS box" that may not be possible --
the OS is probably fixed, at least according to the OP.

Antoninus Twink

To the OP: if you're looking for Windows experts, you'll have to post to
a Windows-specific newsgroup.

The subtext of your message is that Jacob Navia, who has posted in this
thread, is not a Windows expert.

That is clearly bullshit.

Joachim Schmitz

Antoninus said:
The subtext of your message is that Jacob Navia, who has posted in
this thread, is not a Windows expert.

That is clearly bullshit.

Read properly, Boon wrote 'experts', plural.

Kenny McCormack

The subtext of your message is that Jacob Navia, who has posted in this
thread, is not a Windows expert.

That is clearly bullshit.

Please. Don't confuse them with (obvious) facts.

Boon

Antoninus said:
The subtext of your message is that Jacob Navia, who has posted in this
thread, is not a Windows expert.

Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois.

Jacob has demonstrated his poor understanding of loop optimizations,
with peremptory (and completely false) statements.

I would not trust any supposed Windows expertise.

</flame>