Problems with libcurl on Visual C++ Express Edition

borucik

I am trying to use libcurl with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. I
downloaded the file from here:
http://curl.haxx.se/dlwiz/?type=lib&os=Win32&flav=-&ver=2000/XP
It is the 7.16.0 version of the library. The 'lib' subdiretory
contains following files:
libcurl-4.dll
libcurl.la
libcurl.a
libcurl.dll.a
I added the 'include' subdirectory to the include path of the project
(VS sees the 'curl.h' file) and the libcurl.dll.a to the Linker-
Additional Dependencies so that the linker does its job (with one
warning however:
Linking...
libcurl.dll.a(d000116.o) : warning LNK4078: multiple '.text' sections
found with different attributes (E0000020)
My program is very simple, it goes like this:
#include <code/code.h>
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main(){
const char* url = "www.wp.pl";
curl_global_init( CURL_GLOBAL_WIN32);
CURL* context = curl_easy_init();
if(context == NULL){
cout << "Unable to initialize cURL interface" << endl;
return -1;
}
curl_easy_setopt(context, CURLOPT_URL, url);
curl_easy_setopt(context, CURLOPT_WRITEHEADER, stdout);
curl_easy_setopt(context, CURLOPT_WRITEDATA, stdout);
const CURLcode rc = curl_easy_perform(context);
if( rc != CURLE_OK )
cout << "Error performing" << endl;
else{
double statDouble;
if( CURLE_OK == curl_easy_getinfo(context, CURLINFO_HTTP_CODE,
&statLong))
cout << "Response code: " << statLong << endl;
}
curl_easy_cleanup(context);
curl_global_cleanup();
return 0;
}

However, when I run the program it crashes without saying anything
('There was a problem with the application and it will be closed"). I
figured that it appears along with the call of the function
curl_global_init(). Any ideas on how to solve it? Thanks in advance.

Przemek

Alf P. Steinbach

* (e-mail address removed):
I am trying to use libcurl with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. I
downloaded the file from here:
http://curl.haxx.se/dlwiz/?type=lib&os=Win32&flav=-&ver=2000/XP
It is the 7.16.0 version of the library. The 'lib' subdiretory
contains following files:
libcurl-4.dll
libcurl.la
libcurl.a
libcurl.dll.a
I added the 'include' subdirectory to the include path of the project
(VS sees the 'curl.h' file) and the libcurl.dll.a to the Linker-
warning however:
Linking...
libcurl.dll.a(d000116.o) : warning LNK4078: multiple '.text' sections
found with different attributes (E0000020)

[libcurl.dll.a] is probably a g++ import library. g++ uses the COFF
format which also Visual C++ uses, so there is some shared ground, but
the details are different. Ungood to mix. You need libraries built for
Visual C++. C++ has no standard, common binary format.

Victor Bazarov

I am trying to use libcurl with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition. I
downloaded the file from here:
[..snip..]

However, when I run the program it crashes without saying anything
('There was a problem with the application and it will be closed"). I
figured that it appears along with the call of the function
curl_global_init(). Any ideas on how to solve it? Thanks in advance.

Wrong newsgroup. C++ language does not define what 'libcurl' is or
how to work with it. You probably need to contact the newsgroup
where it would be on topic (the ng for your OS, maybe?)