Problems with Oracle OCI library - help please

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by RTJ, Dec 14, 2004.

  1. RTJ

    RTJ Guest

    I have experienced problems with Oracle OCI library. I was unable to properly
    link
    OCI library using gcc. Probably gcc compiler provided with SFU is unable to
    link
    native Windows library.
    Oracle provides OCI dll (named oci.dll) and additionally OCI stub library
    (oci.lib)
    for Microsoft MSVC compiler. I have attempted to link dora with both OCI dll
    and
    OCI lib. Link with OCI lib resulted with many strange linker errors
    (probably gcc does not recognize the "lib" file format).
    Link with OCI dll i have performed in two ways:
    -- using options: -L$(ORACLE_HOME)/bin -loci
    - gcc produced error message that library is not found
    -- providing full library pathname in command line:
    $(ORACLE_HOME)/bin/oci.dll
    - gcc produced error messages about unresolved symbols, although these
    symbols are located in this library.

    If somebody did successfully link any native Windows library with any program
    written for SFU, please inform me how to link such library properly.

    On the other hand, I couldn't bring to work the second compiler provided with
    SFU
    -- the Microsoft compiler. Maybe somebody was able to compile
    a C++ source file or create a shared library using it ?
    Which compiler are you using ?

    RTJ, Dec 14, 2004

  2. RTJ

    Flash Gordon Guest

    Not part of the C language and therefor off topic here.
    How to drive the tools is implementation specific and off topic here.
    ..dll and .lib files are not part of the C language and therefor off
    topic here.
    Interoperability of different tool chains is highly implementation
    specific and therefor off topic here.

    Irrelevant to most discussions here.

    I suggest asking in a Windows, gcc or Oracle group since nothing you are
    asking about is on topic for this group.

    Flash Gordon, Dec 14, 2004

  3. comp.lang.c is a newsgroup for discussing the standard C programming
    language. Your problem isn't about standard C, rather it is about a highly
    platform and compiler specific link issue. Try a newsgroup better
    targetted to your problem, maybe something in the gnu.gcc.* or
    comp.databases.oracle.* hierarchies.

    Lawrence

    Lawrence Kirby, Dec 14, 2004
  4. RTJ

    CBFalconer Guest

    .... snip ...

    To make this even remotely on-topic here you will have to publish
    the full source and headers for the OCI library and the Windows
    library. Make sure they don't exceed a few hundred lines, properly
    indented with spaces, not tabs.

    This newsgroup deals with the portable C language as described in
    the ISO standards, and not with non-standardized add-ons. For
    system specific things, find a newsgroup dealing with that system.

    CBFalconer, Dec 14, 2004
  5. RTJ

    RTJ Guest

    ;-)