Procedural Programs of the Past

Reaction score
Is it still possible to write a compiler that allows the user (programmer) to to specify a program by writing it in a text editor and simply clicking on a compile button to get a working program added to the desktop?

What I see these days is enormously complex. The requirements for getting RUST to work on a Mac requires the user to use the Terminal and things like Bash and 5 or 10 other things. Can all this be eliminated for the user, even if such things are required of the compiler writer?

James Adrian
(e-mail address removed)

Reaction score
Hello,
your question is not in the good section. ask admins to move it in the good one.

I didn't understand all your question...

IDE like Visual Studio are already 'text editor + compiler' in a lot of ways,
they provide 'working space' for each App you create ( with all files at the good place ) and lot of options to achieve...
it's going far and that helpful, as tool for coder.

Sure, you can write a full software in any language by a text editor, but the compiler will requires all files to achieve ( as parameters )

Can you make more details about your needs please ?

if you want kind of shorcut : you have to create a contextual call of a compiler for files...
which could launch your underneath compiler.

you have lot of options with modern compiler, a compilation needs 'setup'. that why there are 'files' aside compiler.

Reaction score
To keep things simple, have you considered using an interpreter instead of a compiler?

SmallBASIC is a free android app.

It handles graphics, file processing, and number crunching quite well.

It has bugs, but I can work around those. It has internet commands but I haven't experimented with those.

Reaction score
The compile button on IDE (ie X-Code) is just shortcut to run a set of command line programs, for just about every language. Its always been like that, even if some systems try to hide it.

If you have generic code editor you can make macro & shortcuts. Otherwise a launcher as suggested above with things like applescript, automation, or platypus.

Ask a Question