Process credit cards on VB.net web site

Guest

We want to process credit cards/debit cards on our web site. We are using
VB.net, so if we could get some vb.net components to validate and handle the
transactions, or a web service that we could call. Do I need to just contact
a bank and they would give us all the components and code to call it? I know
that we need a special bank account to handle this. Is there any good links
out these to show us how to process e-commerce transactions?

We don't want to use third party vendors except for the bank.

Bruce Barker

it will all depend on the bank you choose. they will give you the info, how
easy it is to use from .net will depend on their toolkit, some will supply a
..net component some won't. you should contact your bank and get their
requirements.

-- bruce

Guest

If you can find a bank that has the tools/components available that would be
the way to go. Otherwise here is a good starting place:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=asp.net+process+"credit+card"

Also, you may find it's not very cost effective to do live processing. Often
a single "batch run" at night will cost you WAY less to process the cards.
They like to take a decent piece of the pie for the immediate transaction
processing.

Guest

Chris - The book Beginning ASP.NET 1.1 E-Commerce: From Novice to
Professional by Cristian Darie, Karli Watson as a good starting point for
information about doing ecommerce using asp.net. There appears to be a 2nd
edition of the book. Written with the C# developer in mind but the concepts
remain the same for VB.NET developers.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590592549/103-1259530-9850251?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance
2nd edition:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590594681/103-1259530-9850251?v=glance&n=283155&s=books&v=glance

sp3d2orbit

Chris,

Contacting banks directly is not the way to go. What you need is a
credit card gateway. You have a couple of options

1. www.paynetsystems.com - decent
2. www.authorize.net - also pretty good
3. www.innovativegateway.com - my recommendation

If you go with one of these processors they will provide you with a
..NET or COM component, or perhaps another way of programmatically
processing payments. Each one will provide examples.

Also, you could go with something like GoDaddy.com's merchant account
and save yourself a lot of money. You also give up some control:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/ecommerce/landing.asp?se=+&ci=2750

But, no matter what you decide stay away from Cardservice
International (www.cardservice.com), they're vultures.

Matt Furnari

so57th

sp3d2orbit said:
Chris,

Contacting banks directly is not the way to go. What you need is a
credit card gateway. You have a couple of options

1. www.paynetsystems.com - decent
2. www.authorize.net - also pretty good
3. www.innovativegateway.com - my recommendation

If you go with one of these processors they will provide you with a
.NET or COM component, or perhaps another way of programmatically
processing payments. Each one will provide examples.

Also, you could go with something like GoDaddy.com's merchant account
and save yourself a lot of money. You also give up some control:

https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/ecommerce/landing.asp?se=+&ci=2750

But, no matter what you decide stay away from Cardservice
International (www.cardservice.com), they're vultures.

Matt Furnari

Godaddy is crap. Nothing but problems.