ProcessRequest called 3 times in ASHX file

rh

I'm trying to use an ASHX files to send WAV files back to the client. I
have links to the ASHX page in an ASPX file and there is a FileID on
the querystring. Everything works except the ProcessRequest method is
called 3 times everytime one of the links is clicked. I know this
because I call a stored procedure that updates a counter in a table for
each time a file is played. I did some searching and found out that it
might have something to do with authentication (requiring 3 trips to
the server?) but I couldn't find any solutions to the problem. Is there
anything you can do so that the ProcessRequest method is only called
ONCE per request?

Thanks.