Productivity and economics at software development

Adriano Monteiro

Hi folks,

I'm making a little research project about programming languages e
their respective IDEs. The goal is to trace each language silhouettes,
where it fits better, their goods/bads and the costs of developing in
this language.

It's easy to find projects that doesn't worked as expected because
they were develop with the wrong toolkit, or people that now dislike a
given language because didn't know where the language is better used.

To provide a good quality research, with results that near
reality, I need the help of the community to answer my survey. This
survey doesn't ask any information that identifies the person who
answer the questions and is super fast to be answered. The average
time to fill out the survey is 50 seconds.

The survey: http://www.globalred.com.br/quest

The results and the research will be released as soons as they get
ready. Thank you for your cooperation!

Cheers!

Diez B. Roggisch

I get this:

Mod_python error: "PythonHandler mod_python.publisher"

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line
299, in HandlerDispatch
result = object(req)

File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/publisher.py", line
136, in handler
result = util.apply_fs_data(object, req.form, req=req)

File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/util.py", line 361,
in apply_fs_data
return object(**args)

File "/var/www/html/quest/index.py", line 156, in gravar
cursor.execute(sql)

File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/pgdb.py", line 163, in execute
self.executemany(operation, (params,))

File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/pgdb.py", line 185, in
executemany
raise DatabaseError, "error '%s' in '%s'" % ( msg, sql )

DatabaseError: error 'ERROR: value too long for type character
varying(2)
' in 'INSERT INTO questionario (
linguagem, rad, preco_rad, linux,
macosx, palmos, solaris, windows,
windowsce, outras_plataformas, treinamento,
desktop, modo_texto, paginas_web, celular,
palm, outras_aplicacoes, dificuldade,
tempo, dependencia, duracao, novo_programador,
comentario, moeda)

VALUES

('false', 'false', 0.0, true,
true, false, false, true, false,
false, 0.0, true, true,
true, false, false, false,
1, 4, 2, 0.5, 1000.0,
'false', 'false')'

Scott David Daniels

Adriano said:
Hi folks,
I'm making a little research project about programming languages e
their respective IDEs. The goal is to trace each language silhouettes,
where it fits better, their goods/bads and the costs of developing in
this language.

What do you consider the IDE for Assembly code or Microcode?

--Scott David Daniels
(e-mail address removed)

Peter Hansen

Adriano said:
I'm making a little research project about programming languages e
their respective IDEs. The goal is to trace each language silhouettes,
where it fits better, their goods/bads and the costs of developing in
this language.

You say this as though each language has and needs an IDE!

We do all our development using a simple text editor (often Scite) and a
console window (or three), plus assorted other tools developed or
discovered, as required. It's not "integrated" like an IDE, but we find
it a much more effective approach, especially as we are doing
test-driven development. An IDE just gets in our way.

If you focus on IDEs, your research will have pre-selected only certain
kinds of programmers and teams, and will not necessarily include the
best ones. (Looking at the VB world, one might even say something more
extreme than that.)

-Peter

Paul Rubin

Peter Hansen said:
If you focus on IDEs, your research will have pre-selected only
certain kinds of programmers and teams, and will not necessarily
include the best ones.

It wouldn't have occurred to me to say that Ken Iverson (APL), Peter
Deutsch (PARC Smalltalk), or Dave Moon (MIT Lisp machine) were any of
them slouches. Some of the best programming ever done has gone into
IDE's. It would be great if Python had anything of the caliber of
those old systems.

Peter Hansen

Paul said:
It wouldn't have occurred to me to say that Ken Iverson (APL), Peter
Deutsch (PARC Smalltalk), or Dave Moon (MIT Lisp machine) were any of
them slouches. Some of the best programming ever done has gone into
IDE's. It would be great if Python had anything of the caliber of
those old systems.

Then we're on the same page, Paul, since I would never say that any of
those people, nor many others who use or create IDEs, were slouches.

If you thought I said that, I believe you're parsing my statement
incorrectly, or using incorrect logic.

-Peter

Scott David Daniels

Paul said:
It wouldn't have occurred to me to say that Ken Iverson (APL), Peter
Deutsch (PARC Smalltalk), or Dave Moon (MIT Lisp machine) were any of
them slouches. Some of the best programming ever done has gone into
IDE's....
Peter's point (with which I agree) is that you are pulling a subset,
not that all IDE-users are necessarily worse than non-IDE users.

My point was that it is a mistake to think of "programming languages
and their respective IDEs" as if the IDE is inextricably tied to a
particular language and the language is inextricably linked with a
particular IDE.