Programmign CPU registry related question.

Abby

I'm sorry that I post this question in this newsgroup, but I don't
know where is the right place to post. I have a question if I can get
to CPU's registry to modify its clock cycle so that I can save some
power when CPU is idle (throttling). I need to do it in C, and the
program need to be runnable in Linux. Anybody know the way, plz let me
know. I really have no idea how to achieve this since I have no
experience in registry programming. Thank you so much.

mrtemp

Abby said:
I'm sorry that I post this question in this newsgroup, but I don't
know where is the right place to post. I have a question if I can get

Take time to browse the newsgroup listings on google or even your reader
and you WOULD know. People these days, rush into things much too
quickly for my taste.
to CPU's registry to modify its clock cycle so that I can save some
power when CPU is idle (throttling). I need to do it in C, and the
program need to be runnable in Linux. Anybody know the way, plz let me
know. I really have no idea how to achieve this since I have no
experience in registry programming. Thank you so much.

try:

microsoft.public.win2000.registry or
comp.os.ms-windows.win95.registry

I think you mean registers, since there is no registry in Linux, in
which case you could try:

alt.lang.asm or
comp.lang.asm.x86

just to get a taste of what you're getting into. Now, since you want to
do it in non-portable C, you could check:

linux.dev.c-programming or
comp.programming

Check also with the newsgroup of the compiler that you will be using.
Most likely gcc.

gnu.gcc I believe is one.

Bye.

Thomas Matthews

Abby said:
I'm sorry that I post this question in this newsgroup, but I don't
know where is the right place to post. I have a question if I can get
to CPU's registry to modify its clock cycle so that I can save some
power when CPU is idle (throttling). I need to do it in C, and the
program need to be runnable in Linux. Anybody know the way, plz let me
know. I really have no idea how to achieve this since I have no
experience in registry programming. Thank you so much.

This could be difficult since not all processors have a throttle down
capability. The ARM7TDMI processor that I work with does not have
this capability; nor did many of the 8051 processors I worked with.

Discuss this in a newsgroup about your processor or platform.

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt