Progress Box or Bar in Windows

tubby

Hi guys,

I have a Python script that I've prettied-up for Windows users by adding
things like shell.SHBrowseForFolder and win32gui.MessageBox, etc. In
short, it looks like this:

1. Pretty window where user can browse for folder. (instead of typing
path into cmd prompt)

2. win32gui.MessageBox informing user the script will now begin.

3.

4. win32gui.MessageBox informing user the script has finished.

I left 3 blank. This is where I'd like to use some sort of progress
indicator (a box that says 'processing 3 of 30 files... 4 of 30, etc' or
a progress bar that moves across the screen as the script does its job.
Any ideas on how to do this quickly and easily (less than 20 lines of code)?

I'd prefer to stick with the win32 extensions, but I'd be willing to use
TK too if that would be simpler... and it looks like TK would be much
simpler :)

Thanks!

cyberco

Go for wxPython, it'll fulfill all your GUI needs. Handsdown the best
GUI toolkit I ever ran into. It can't get much simpler than:

wx.MessageBox('hi')

And there are tons of readymade dialogs and progressbars in the
library. Check out the demo.py under the wxPython installation dir to
see demos (and source) of the enormous list of controls.

tubby

cyberco said:
Go for wxPython, it'll fulfill all your GUI needs. Handsdown the best
GUI toolkit I ever ran into.

Thanks a lot! I had no idea wxPython was so easy to use. I added a
progress bar from wx to the app. Less than 20 lines of code and it only
took about 5 minutes!