pros and cons using reference-counter VS reference-link

Axter

Other than size, is there any other pro to using reference-counter
instead of reference-link logic in a smart pointer.
See following link:
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1681.pdf

The above link doesn't give too many details as to which is better in
general.

In my test of the following smart pointer, I find it to be much faster
then the boost::shared_ptr for initialization.
http:://code.axter.com/cow_ptr.h

I'm just wondering if there are any other reasons why the
boost::shared_ptr doesn't use reference-link logic instead of
reference-counter.