Purify reports UMR in wrong location

Eric

I am sending a structure over a socket, and so the structure is copied
into a message buffer first. The structure has some spare fields in
order to align the fields properly. Since those spare fields are
never set, I expect Purify to report an Uninitialized Memory Read when
the structure is copied into the message buffer, but Purify actually
waits until the message buffer is read before reporting the error. So
Purify doesn't report an error when the actual uninitialized byte is
read, it reports an error when a memcpy of the uninitialized byte is
read. Anyone else ever see this?

Thanks,
Eric Simon

Ron Natalie

Eric said:
I am sending a structure over a socket, and so the structure is copied
into a message buffer first. The structure has some spare fields in
order to align the fields properly.

This is way off topic, but I think you'll find that Purify has some special
suppressions in effect for struct copies. Call Pure Software, Rational, IBM
or whoever now owns the product.