Pushing for Pythoncard 1.0

John Henry

Attempt to push Pythoncard to a 1.0 status is now underway. A
temporary website has been created at:

http://code.google.com/p/pythoncard-1-0/

The official website continues to be http://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/

Pythoncard is such a wonderful package that it would be a shame to
allow development for the package to go stagnant. The Python
community deserves to continue enjoying the simplicity of Pythoncard
for creating a GUI Python application.

In the last few years, I've added a number of widgets and functions to
the package. The present effort is to simply incorporate all of the
changes I've made to the package, create an installer, push it out the
door and announce to the world that Pythoncard 1.0 is here, and is
here to stay.

Here's a partial list of widgets and functions added:

Widgets:

PDFWindow, FlashWindow, MatplotlibCanvasWindow, MultiSelectionList,
Drag-&-drop enabled tree control, IEHTMLWindow

Backgrounds:

MDIParentWindow, MDIChildWindow, MDISashWindow, multi-panel Background
Window,

Tools:

Updated layoutmanager supporting the newly added widgets, and a
revived action manager (provide list of actions or events associated
with widgets in a context-sensitive fashion - no more needs to
memorize which widget can do what).

and others.

I realize that there are other GUI packages that enjoyed far more
support from the Python community in the last few years and have, as a
result, a more extensive feature list, and more modern looks. My hats
off to those developers. So, please re-frame from responding to this
message or send me emails regarding xyz package and how that one is
"better", more "modern" than Pythoncard, or that xyz package had xxx
feature already.

I like Pythoncard because it's so simple for most GUI applications I
build that it's almost laughable. I've benefited tremendously from
having Pythoncard around and now it's my turn to chip in and repay a
small debt to Pythoncard.

For x-Pythoncard users (and particularly developers), if you are
unable to lend a helping hand, please at least join or re-join the
Pythoncard mailing list and let your voice be heard.

rnd

Attempt to push Pythoncard to a 1.0 status is now underway.  A
temporary website has been created at:

http://code.google.com/p/pythoncard-1-0/

The official website continues to behttp://pythoncard.sourceforge.net/

Pythoncard is such a wonderful package that it would be a shame to
allow development for the package to go stagnant.   The Python
community deserves to continue enjoying the simplicity of Pythoncard
for creating a GUI Python application.

I was very positively surprised to hear someone talking about
PythonCard these days.
Even though I've not needed to develop GUI apps for years, I believe
its still great idea
to revive PythonCard even though everybody is busy developing for
"iThings" right now.

Regards,
Roman Suzi

rdsteph

I was very positively surprised to hear someone talking about
PythonCard these days.
Even though I've not needed to develop GUI apps for years, I believe
its still great idea
to revive PythonCard even though everybody is busy developing for
"iThings" right now.

Regards,
Roman Suzi
I love and use PythonCard!