py2exe (or other exe builder) on Vista system for Vista/XP install targets.

Michael

I'm trying to build a exe on a vista system using py2exe. It will
deploy to vista and XP systems. If it matters, the application uses
pyserial, as well. I have VS Studio 2005 installed on this laptop as
well. I've found this so far that seems to be identical to what I'm
seeing (for non-python programs): http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread611031.html

When I attempt to run, I get "The procedure entry point
_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link
library mscvrt.dll." Apparently vista has one more
_except_handler#_common function than XP does.

I've used py2exe several times before (however not recenty, as it was
before Vista came out). I'm using a very basic setup file right now:
from distutils.core import setup
import py2exe

setup(console=['responderbot.py'])

Are there any ways to either py2exe work or any other exe builder for
my build environment and deployment scenario? I don't really want to
dig around in py2exe/pyserial internals to force it to use the dll's
that the MS support person said it should be using. Will any automated
exe builder work where I am?

I've heard IronPython can compile down to an exe....is it a valid
alternative? Should my CPython utility be compatible with ipy? I only
use the random,time,sys, and serial modules. I really know very little
about ipy.

--Michael

Bjoern Schliessmann

Michael wrote:
[py2exe on Vista and XP]
When I attempt to run, I get "The procedure entry point
_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link
library mscvrt.dll." Apparently vista has one more
_except_handler#_common function than XP does.

Strange -- it works for me. I compile in Vista and deploy in Vista
and XP (SP2). I'm using Twisted 2.5 and wxWidgets 2.8.

I'm sorry that I cannot help more. I dropped py2exe recently because
I had a similar missing symbol problem with a Windows 2000
computer; so I installed Python and the modules directly on all my
machines.

Regards,

Björn

Michael

Björn, what library files end up being in your dist directory for that
project? Would you mind posting a copy of the output of dir?

I'm curious to see if there is a discrepancy.

--Michael

[py2exe on Vista and XP]

--
BOFH excuse #223:

The lines are all busy (busied out, that is -- why let them in to
begin with?).

GaryLee

I'm trying to build a exe on a vista system using py2exe. It will
deploy to vista and XP systems. If it matters, the application uses
pyserial, as well. I have VS Studio 2005 installed on this laptop as
well. I've found this so far that seems to be identical to what I'm
seeing (for non-python programs):http://www.thescripts.com/forum/thread611031.html

When I attempt to run, I get "The procedure entry point
_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link
library mscvrt.dll." Apparently vista has one more
_except_handler#_common function than XP does.
I use pyinstaller to create the single execution file. However, if you
have some DLLs which built from VC2005. You may need to include the
VC2005 redistribution files in your execution file. Here are the files
which I get from VC2005's redistributed package and include in my
execution file.

Microsoft.VC80.CRT.manifest
msvcm80.dll
msvcp80.dll
msvcr80.dll

kyosohma

[...]

I use GUI2Exe, a wrapper of py2exe that I find easier to use. You can
find it here:

http://xoomer.alice.it/infinity77/main/GUI2Exe.html

There's also this interesting utility (that I've never used) from
Frederik Lundh:

http://effbot.org/zone/exemaker.htm

I've heard good things about PyInstaller (the one Gary mentioned). As
far as I know, py2exe doesn't use Visual Studio to do its compiling,
so I don't think that's relevant.

Mike

Bjoern Schliessmann

Michael said:
Björn, what library files end up being in your dist directory for
that project? Would you mind posting a copy of the output of dir?

Okay, sorry for the delay. Here the output of py2exe is, for
directory contents see below.

| The following modules appear to be missing
| ['FCNTL', 'OpenSSL', 'email.Generator', 'email.Iterators',
| 'email.Utils', 'pywintypes', 'resource', 'win32api', 'win32con',
| 'win32event', 'win32file', 'win32pipe', 'win32process',
| 'win32security', 'wx.Timer']
|
| *** binary dependencies ***
| Your executable(s) also depend on these dlls which are not
| included, you may or may not need to distribute them.
|
| Make sure you have the license if you distribute any of them, and
| make sure you don't distribute files belonging to the operating
| system.
|
| OLEAUT32.dll - C:\windows\system32\OLEAUT32.dll
| USER32.dll - C:\windows\system32\USER32.dll
| SHELL32.dll - C:\windows\system32\SHELL32.dll
| ole32.dll - C:\windows\system32\ole32.dll
| comdlg32.dll - C:\windows\system32\comdlg32.dll
| WSOCK32.dll - C:\windows\system32\WSOCK32.dll
| COMCTL32.dll - C:\windows\system32\COMCTL32.dll
| ADVAPI32.dll - C:\windows\system32\ADVAPI32.dll
| GDI32.dll - C:\windows\system32\GDI32.dll
| WS2_32.dll - C:\windows\system32\WS2_32.dll
| MSVCP71.dll - C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\site-packages\
| wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\MSVCP71.dll
| WINMM.dll - C:\windows\system32\WINMM.dll
| KERNEL32.dll - C:\windows\system32\KERNEL32.dll
| gdiplus.dll - C:\Program Files\Python25\lib\site-packages\
| wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\gdiplus.dll
| RPCRT4.dll - C:\windows\system32\RPCRT4.dll

Output of dir in the dist directory follows:

| 01.11.2007 20:51 <DIR> .
| 01.11.2007 20:51 <DIR> ..
| 18.04.2007 07:51 77.824 bz2.pyd
| 01.11.2007 20:51 4.874.503 library.zip
| 29.06.2007 20:19 348.160 MSVCR71.dll
| 18.04.2007 07:51 135.168 pyexpat.pyd
| 18.04.2007 07:51 2.113.536 python25.dll
| 18.04.2007 07:51 7.680 select.pyd
| 18.04.2007 07:51 475.136 unicodedata.pyd
| 18.04.2007 07:51 4.608 w9xpopen.exe
| 07.08.2007 20:47 135.168 wxbase28uh_net_vc.dll
| 07.08.2007 20:47 1.327.104 wxbase28uh_vc.dll
| 07.08.2007 20:50 708.608 wxmsw28uh_adv_vc.dll
| 07.08.2007 20:50 3.158.016 wxmsw28uh_core_vc.dll
| 07.08.2007 20:51 479.232 wxmsw28uh_html_vc.dll
| 07.08.2007 21:12 909.312 _controls_.pyd
| 07.08.2007 21:09 950.272 _core_.pyd
| 07.08.2007 21:11 716.800 _gdi_.pyd
| 18.04.2007 07:52 323.584 _hashlib.pyd
| 07.08.2007 21:14 659.456 _misc_.pyd
| 18.04.2007 07:52 53.248 _socket.pyd
| 18.04.2007 07:52 655.360 _ssl.pyd
| 07.08.2007 21:11 647.168 _windows_.pyd
| 08.01.2007 15:49 9.216 _zope_interface_
| coptimizations.pyd

(my files, an exe and a data file, snipped)

Regards & HTH,

Björn