Pygame Q (linux) beginner

enquiring mind

Running 2.4.1 Python (learning)
Running SUSE Linux 10

Am learning from a new books that mostly deals with windows python and
Pygames called "Game Programming" by Randy Harris (2007) His books
references Python 2.4.2 and Pygame 1.7.1 with these comments:

"If you are using a Linux machine, you probably won't have the simple
installer that came with the windows version. Follow the instructions
at http://pygame.org/install. You may have to run a couple of scripts
to make everything work, but just follow the directions and you will be
fine."

Could anybody suggest or make a helpful comment in view of what
information I have supplied. At Chapter 5 is where the Pygame module is
introduced so I have a little time before I have to figure out what I
have to download and install.

Thanks very much in advance for any direction.

Terry

Gabriel Genellina

En Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:37:16 -0300, enquiring mind <"enquiring
mind"@braindead.com> escribió:
Running 2.4.1 Python (learning)
Running SUSE Linux 10

Am learning from a new books that mostly deals with windows python and
Pygames called "Game Programming" by Randy Harris (2007) His books
references Python 2.4.2 and Pygame 1.7.1 with these comments:

"If you are using a Linux machine, you probably won't have the simple
installer that came with the windows version. Follow the instructions
at http://pygame.org/install. You may have to run a couple of scripts
to make everything work, but just follow the directions and you will be
fine."

Could anybody suggest or make a helpful comment in view of what
information I have supplied. At Chapter 5 is where the Pygame module is
introduced so I have a little time before I have to figure out what I
have to download and install.

First: read that page.
I don't use SUSE myself, but the first hit on Google for "pygame SUSE"
goes into the Novell site, and SUSE 10.1 appears to include pygame
1.7.1release14 (or at least, you should be able to download and install
the RPM from Novell)

hlubenow

enquiring said:
Running 2.4.1 Python (learning)
Running SUSE Linux 10

At Chapter 5 is where the Pygame module is
introduced so I have a little time before I have to figure out what I
have to download and install.

Are you asking for advice how to install pygame on SuSE 10 ?
Well, that's easy:

python-pygame....rpm comes with SuSE.
Just install it with YaST2; the additional packages it
needs (like libSDL) are installed automatically then.
So you don't have to download any packages from www.pygame.org.

Another hint: If sound in pygame doesn't work, try

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa

right before starting your script.

H.

enquiring mind

Gabriel said:
En Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:37:16 -0300, enquiring mind <"enquiring
mind"@braindead.com> escribió:

First: read that page.
I don't use SUSE myself, but the first hit on Google for "pygame SUSE"
goes into the Novell site, and SUSE 10.1 appears to include pygame
1.7.1release14 (or at least, you should be able to download and install
the RPM from Novell)
Thanks, Gabriel. I only googled pygame and not SUSE. The next post
says it is
already included so I will ask my programmer buddy to help me.

enquiring mind

hlubenow said:
Are you asking for advice how to install pygame on SuSE 10 ?
Well, that's easy:

python-pygame....rpm comes with SuSE.
Just install it with YaST2; the additional packages it
needs (like libSDL) are installed automatically then.
So you don't have to download any packages from www.pygame.org.

Another hint: If sound in pygame doesn't work, try

export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=alsa

right before starting your script.

H.

Thank you very much. A buddy installed SUSE 10 in Dec. for me so I
shall ask him to look for rpm which I understand from your post includes
pygame. You have no idea how much I appreciate your information.

hlubenow

enquiring said:
Thank you very much. A buddy installed SUSE 10 in Dec. for me so I
shall ask him to look for rpm which I understand from your post includes
pygame. You have no idea how much I appreciate your information.

My pleasure.

By the way:

It would be quite easy to install it yourself, too. Here's how:

If you use KDE, click on the start-menu-button and go to
System/ControlCenter(YaST) there. You're asked for your root-password.
Enter it and YaST2 appears (it is SuSE's graphical installation tool). Click
on Software/Software installation. After a while a search-field appears.
Enter "python-pygame" there and click on "search". It should be shown in
the right window. Click on the rectangle left of it and press "keep
changes" (or "ok" or so) in the right corner at the bottom. You should be
asked to insert some CD/DVD then. Do it, wait a while and pygame should
have been installed.

It is really not much more difficult than on Windows.

See you

H.