PyPy-Sprint 12th-19th January Leysin, Switzerland

Carl Friedrich Bolz

PyPy Leysin Winter Sprint (12-19th January 2008)
... image:: http://www.ermina.ch/002.JPG

The next PyPy sprint will be in Leysin, Switzerland, for the
fifth time. This is a fully public sprint: newcomers and
topics other than those proposed below are welcome.

------------------------------
Goals and topics of the sprint
------------------------------

* Like previous winters, the main side goal is to have fun in winter
sports :) We can take a couple of days off for ski; at this time of
year, ski days end before 4pm, which still leaves plenty of time
to recover (er, I mean hack).

* the overall idea of the sprint is to continue working on making PyPy
ready for general use. A few more specific tasks:

- app-level ctypes: getting to a basically usable point
would be really nice.

- JIT: there is a long-standing timeshifter refactoring,
towards making the JIT be more interpreter-like. Starting
it during the sprint might be a good way to share some of
the knowledge of how the JIT really works. Alternatively,
we can work on supporting ootype in the timeshifter.

- Testing: e.g. we run various nightly test runs but the
results are not summarized in a single page yet.

- LLVM: llvm 2 is now at version 2.1 and nicely stable
again. Our llvm backend has improved in the last few
months, but refactoring it together with the genc backend
to share code more directly would be a nice task.

* We are open to all sorts of other tasks during the sprint, just
propose something.

-----------------------
Location & Accomodation
-----------------------

Leysin, Switzerland, "same place as before". Let me refresh your
memory: both the sprint venue and the lodging will be in a very spacious
pair of chalets built specifically for bed & breakfast:
http://www.ermina.ch/. The place has a good ADSL Internet connexion
with wireless installed. You can of course arrange your own lodging
anywhere (so long as you are in Leysin, you cannot be more than a 15
minute walk away from the sprint venue), but I definitely recommend
lodging there too -- you won't find a better view anywhere else (though
you probably won't get much worse ones easily, either :)

I made pre-reservations in the Chalet, so please *confirm* quickly that
you are coming so that we can adjust the reservations as appropriate.
The rate so far has been around 60 CHF a night all included in 2-person
rooms, with breakfast. There are larger rooms too (less expensive) and
maybe the possibility to get a single room if you really want to.

Please register by svn:

http://codespeak.net/svn/pypy/extradoc/sprintinfo/leysin-winter-2008/people.txt

or on the pypy-sprint mailing list if you do not yet have check-in rights:

You need a Swiss-to-(insert country here) power adapter. There will be
some Swiss-to-EU adapters around - bring a EU-format power strip if you
have one.