Pyro stability

writeson

Hi all,

At work I'm considering proposing a solution for our distributed
processing system (a web based shopping cart that feeds an actual
printing production line) based on Pyro. I've done some minor
experiments with this and Pyro looks interesting and like a good
implementation of what I want. I've got a couple of questions though:

1) Has anyone had any experience with Pyro, and if so, have you had
any stability, or memory use issues running Pyro servers or nameservers
on the various participating computers? (We have a mixed environment of
Linux and Windows, but will be heading to an all Linux (RedHat)
environment soon.

2) One of the guys I work with is more inclined to set up XMLRPC
communication between the processes, and he is also leery of running
daemon processes. His solution is to have essentially Python CGI code
that responds to the various XMLRPC requests. Does anyone have any
opinions on this? I know what mine are already. :)

3) I've considered using CORBA, which is more powerful, and certainly
faster, but it's complexity to set up compared to the rather simple
work I'm trying to do seems prohibative. Does anyone have any thoughts
on this?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

Irmen de Jong

writeson wrote:
[some questions about Pyro]

I've replied to this on Pyro's mailing list.
-Irmen

writeson

Irmen,

Thanks, you're very good about answering Pyro related questions!

Thanks again. I posted a more detailed question to the mailing list
describing as best I could how I want to use Pyro and the questions I
have in regards to the system described.

Doug

Irmen de Jong

writeson said:
Irmen,

Thanks, you're very good about answering Pyro related questions!

Well, I do have an advantage here, being Pyro's author... :)

--Irmen

Carl J. Van Arsdall

Irmen said:
Well, I do have an advantage here, being Pyro's author.
And I don't know if you get this enough... but thanks. Pyro is fucking
amazing and has been a great help to a couple of our projects.

-carl

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
(e-mail address removed)

Beliavsky

Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:

Pyro is fucking amazing and has been a great help to a couple of our projects.

You should watch your language in a forum with thousands of readers.

Paul Boddie

Beliavsky said:
Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:

[Enthusiasm for Pyro, not for those with sensitivity to rude words]
You should watch your language in a forum with thousands of readers.

It was quite an endorsement, though. ;-)

Paul

Carl J. Van Arsdall

Paul said:
Beliavsky said:
Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:

[Enthusiasm for Pyro, not for those with sensitivity to rude words]

You should watch your language in a forum with thousands of readers.
I think you should find better things to complain about and not worry
about language usage so much.

-c

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
(e-mail address removed)

Cliff Wells

Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:

You should watch your language in a forum with thousands of readers.

The LA Times had a story that claimed that 64% of U.S. citizens use the
word "****" and that 74% of us have heard it in public (I'll assume the
remainder are your fellow AOL users). I expect extrapolating these
results worldwide wouldn't be far off the mark (the Brits were quite
successful at spreading this versatile word).

I think the gap between what people actually find offensive and what
people are afraid others will find offensive is pretty wide indeed.

Regards,
Cliff

Steve Holden

Carl said:
Paul said:
Beliavsky wrote:

Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:

[Enthusiasm for Pyro, not for those with sensitivity to rude words]

You should watch your language in a forum with thousands of readers.

I think you should find better things to complain about and not worry
about language usage so much.
It didn't seem like an unreasonable request to me, though I concede that
you aren't (yet :) known throughout Usenet for your profanity.

regards
Steve

John Henry

Being a non-professional programmer, I've managed to use Pyro to do
what I need to do with very minimal fuss. In fact, I don't even
understand a lot of what's under the cover. All I did was to mimic
what one of the sample program is doing and adapted it to my need.

So far I am very happy with Pyro.

And no, I don't need to use profanity to describe to you how amazing I
think Pyro is. :=)

Carl J. Van Arsdall

Steve said:
Carl said:
Paul Boddie wrote:

Beliavsky wrote:

Carl J. Van Arsdall wrote:

[Enthusiasm for Pyro, not for those with sensitivity to rude words]

You should watch your language in a forum with thousands of readers.
I think you should find better things to complain about and not worry
about language usage so much.
It didn't seem like an unreasonable request to me, though I concede that
you aren't (yet :) known throughout Usenet for your profanity.
Well, I wouldn't want to be known for it, but some technologies are just
so A+mazing that I can't contain myself. Pyro happens to be one of
those great things where profanity *is* necessary. I would never want
to cheapen my emotion by leaving out colorful language ;)

--

Carl J. Van Arsdall
(e-mail address removed)

Beliavsky

Cliff said:
The LA Times had a story that claimed that 64% of U.S. citizens use the
word "****" and that 74% of us have heard it in public (I'll assume the
remainder are your fellow AOL users). I expect extrapolating these
results worldwide wouldn't be far off the mark (the Brits were quite
successful at spreading this versatile word).

If this is supposed to justify using bad language in a public forum, it
is poorly reasoned. Having heard "f***" does not mean they were not
annoyed. 100% of people have seen trash on the street, but that does
not justify littering. If a group of people don't mind profanity, there
is no harm in their swearing to each other. But Usenet is read by a
wide range of people, and needlessly offending some of them is wrong.
The OP used "f******" just for emphasis. English is a rich language,
and there are better ways of doing that.

Aahz

If this is supposed to justify using bad language in a public forum,
it is poorly reasoned. Having heard "f***" does not mean they were not
annoyed. 100% of people have seen trash on the street, but that does
not justify littering. If a group of people don't mind profanity, there
is no harm in their swearing to each other. But Usenet is read by a
wide range of people, and needlessly offending some of them is wrong.
The OP used "f******" just for emphasis. English is a rich language,
and there are better ways of doing that.

Oh, gimme a fucking break. Do a simple Gooja search to find out how
often people already use "****" around here. I think you're the one who
needs to justify your position.
--
Aahz ([email protected]) <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"In many ways, it's a dull language, borrowing solid old concepts from
many other languages & styles: boring syntax, unsurprising semantics,
few automatic coercions, etc etc. But that's one of the things I like
about it." --Tim Peters on Python, 16 Sep 1993

Chaz Ginger

Aahz said:
Oh, gimme a fucking break. Do a simple Gooja search to find out how
often people already use "****" around here. I think you're the one who
needs to justify your position.

Let me recommend something: take this thread off line. First, if you
have an issue with the language, talk to the person via email. Secondly
let's not let this get out of hand. All opinions are personal. Only one
really matters in this group: it is supposed to be about PYTHON. Get it?

Chaz

BartlebyScrivener

"Some guy hit my fender, and I said to him, 'Be fruitful and multiply,'
but not in those words." --Woody Allen

"Language is a virus from outer space." --William Burroughs

skip

Beliavsky> English is a rich language, and there are better ways of
Beliavsky> doing that.

aahz> Oh, gimme a fucking break.

I'm with Beliavsky on this one. I can't see any particular reason to curse
in a forum such as c.l.py. It just coarsens the discussion with no obvious
positive benefit as far as I can see.

Skip

Cliff Wells

Cliff Wells wrote:

If this is supposed to justify using bad language in a public forum, it
is poorly reasoned. Having heard "f***" does not mean they were not
annoyed.
100% of people have seen trash on the street, but that does
not justify littering.

Poorly reasoned or not, it was clearly poorly read, since the article I
mentioned also claimed that the majority of people also used the word.
Odd, I'd think with your selective reading skills you'd simply be able
to ignore words you don't like.

Regardless, I think the idea that certain words are profanity is fairly
silly. They are words. It's the meaning and intent behind them that
can be offensive. If someone says "**** off" then I'd expect you to be
offended *since that was the intent of the message* (of course if you
manage to not be offended then that makes you the better man, but
apparently that's rarely strived for). On the other hand if someone
says "that's fucking great" in a positive way and you are offended by
it, well I'd say that's *your* problem and your best bet is to turn off
your TV, your PC, your radio, stop reading and try to limit interactions
with other people lest you be overwhelmed by how they really speak and
act.
If a group of people don't mind profanity, there
is no harm in their swearing to each other. But Usenet is read by a
wide range of people, and needlessly offending some of them is wrong.

I halfway agree with you. I tend to limit my profanity in public forums
and when speaking to strangers, etc. On the other hand, when in public
I also expect to hear that language from others and am not offended by
it.

And expecting anyone to escape without offense on Usenet is pretty
unrealistic.
The OP used "f******" just for emphasis. English is a rich language,
and there are better ways of doing that.

Hm, lots of people disagree with you. In fact, simply because that word
*does* happen to be less widely used in this group it gave it extra
emphasis and was probably the most effective word he could have used in
this particular instance. I don't think anyone here will have forgotten
his endorsement anytime soon.

Incidentally, using **** to disguise "profanity" when the intended word
is perfectly understood is pretty silly too. I strongly suspect you'd
be just as offended if I said "f*** off" as if I'd typed it out. Once
again, intent and meaning are what matter rather than a particular
sequence of characters.

Regards,
Cliff