PySol not working on WinXP, SP2

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ivan Van Laningham, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. Hi All--
    I've been using PySol-4.40 for years, because that was the last Windows
    installer version I could find. My wife's been using it for almost the
    same length of time. That version's worked just fine on W98, W98SE, W2K
    (server included), and WinXP SP1.

    I upgraded to SP2 and pysol fails silently. Running 'python pysol.pyw'
    gives me this error:

    Traceback (most recent call last):

    File "pysol.pyw", line 64, in ?

    imp.load_compiled("__main__", sys.argv[0])

    ImportError: Bad magic number in C:\Program
    Files\PySol-4.40\data\pysol.pyc

    I can't find any later version on google, although I turned up a thread
    on this list regarding running pysol in a later version on W98. I also
    found http://avitous.net/software/pysol-windows/py23.shtml but the
    version he has REQUIRES ActiveState python 2.2, even though he says he's
    put together a version for 2.3--and of course, I'm running Python 2.4.

    My wife's going to be force to upgrade to SP2 some of these days, and
    she won't be happy if her solitaire doesn't work. Does anyone have a
    working version? Anyone know what happened to Markus ... Oberhumer?

    Metta,
    Ivan
    Ivan Van Laningham
    God N Locomotive Works
    http://www.andi-holmes.com/
    Army Signal Corps: Cu Chi, Class of '70
    Author: Teach Yourself Python in 24 Hours

    Ivan Van Laningham, Jun 1, 2005

  2. Are you sure you're using the Python version (2.3, 2.4 etc) that the
    Pysol .pyw files were compiled for? As I understand it, that's what the
    "magic number" is - a versioning number for the .pyc/.pyw files which
    changes when the Python version is upped.

    If you had multiple versions of Python installed on your machine,
    upgrading to SP2 might have muddled your file associations.

    Rocco Moretti, Jun 1, 2005

  3. Ivan Van Laningham

    Terry Reedy Guest

    2.4 came out about the same time as SP2. If the .pyc files worked with
    2.3, I am pretty sure they will not work with 2.4 since I am pretty sure
    the marshal format (used to make .pycs) was changed slightly for 2.4 after
    no change for a few releases. It will change again for 2.5.

    Python is intended to be distributed as readable source. .pycs are
    intended to be temporary caches, only kept around to avoid recompiling with
    every run, but certainly disposable with version changes.

    Terry J. Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Jun 2, 2005