Python 2.4.4 Tkinter GUI Example for Modeless Dialog with Menu, Edit,List, Buttons, File Save etc.

My Python

I would like to see some substantial example of an App written for a
Modeless Dialog (fixed size, non resizable window) (If you have used
WIndows MFC or Visual Basic you all know how elegant it is) with
Buttons, menus, edit boxes, list boxes, file save as dialogs popping
from the button action (this one is easy, but I want the file save as
python code to save a text file :)

Please, those samples packed with install are *** bare and cheesy
*** , it is inadequate. Can someone share a cool app code that
implements a Modeless dialog.

TIA!!

rantingrick

I would like to see some substantial example of an App written for a
Modeless Dialog (fixed size, non resizable window) (If you have used
WIndows MFC or Visual Basic you all know how elegant it is) with
Buttons, menus, edit boxes, list boxes, file save as dialogs popping
from the button action (this one is easy, but I want the file save as
python code to save a text file :)

Please, those samples packed with install are ***  bare and cheesy
*** , it is inadequate. Can someone share a cool app code that
implements a Modeless dialog.

TIA!!

Sure i'll do that, and while i'm at it all throw syntax highlight,
code completion, tool tips, and heck you're worth the best... a cool
3d FPS game if you get board! But wait, i don't have to do all that
because it already exists in a little Python package called IDLE (um
well except for the cool 3d game that is! Check for yourself!

But really, i would not mind showing you a few things to get you going
in the right direction but myself (or any one else) is about to just
write the thing for you. I suggest you reconsider a smaller starting
example like maybe a very, very, *very* simple text editor built with
the tk.Text widget. Most of the functionality already comes built-in
like undo, redo, copy, paste, cut, etc. However you'll need to add a
few methods for opening, saving files and all the other functionality
you may want but that would be a good start. Check out the effort site
for a exhaustive coverage of Tkinter.

http://effbot.org/tkinterbook/

Let us know when you need help and not free application development
services. ;-)

Michael Torrie

I would like to see some substantial example of an App written for a
Modeless Dialog (fixed size, non resizable window) (If you have used
WIndows MFC or Visual Basic you all know how elegant it is)

What is elegant about a fixed-size, non-re-sizable window? (Actually
what is elegant about MFC... shudder). Definitely sounds like something
out of Windows. How do you plan to deal with varying screen resolutions
and dot pitches if your dialogs are all fixed-size? What happens when
you run your app on a high res screen where the default font size is
twice as large as what you planned for?

Tk? PyQt? PyGTK? wxPython?

Michael Torrie

Tk? PyQt? PyGTK? wxPython?

Nevermind that question. You stated that in your subject line. Perhaps
the best known, large program is IDLE. But I don't think it implements
any dialog boxes as you desire, though.