python-announce moderation (was: Re: ANN: ClientForm 0.2.2 released)

John J Lee

Hmm, (e-mail address removed), who are you? python-announce moderator? I
didn't put you on my To: line (nor python-list for that matter, but I
guess that's a reasonable place for it to go...).

Also FYI, it ended up going to wwwsearch-general twice, I guess because
the you (or the moderation software) forwarded it there after moderation,
which isn't really necessary.

John

http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/ClientForm/

This is the first stable release of ClientForm 0.2.

(See below for the list of changes since 0.2.1b.)

Many improvements have been made as part of the 0.2 release, thanks
largely to Gary Poster, Benji York and their employer Zope Corporation
as part of their work on zope.testbrowser. These include:

* 0.1 backwards compatibility mode (backwards_compat switch).
* Greatly improved support for labels, including control labels.
* Added first-class support for list items and labels.
* A few methods have been added, and many superfluous methods
deprecated.
* The example script on the web page / README.html is now an
executable script in the examples directory, that runs against a
test page on the wwwsearch.sourceforge.net site.
* Label matching is now by substring (after compression of
whitespace), not by exact string equality.
* Support for list item ids.
* Finding controls or items now raises AmbiguityError if no nr
argument is supplied and the other arguments do not uniquely
identify the control or item. The old behaviour is restored by
passing nr=0.
* Fix multiple identical list item behaviour.
* Fixed a bug where disabled list items were successful (got sent back
to the server).
* More intuitive disabled list item behaviour.
* Large sections of the module have been reimplemented using classes
Item and Label, making for better code.
* Added ListControl.get(), ListControl.get_items(),
HTMLForm.set_value_by_label(), and HTMLForm.get_value_by_label()
methods.
* Applied patch from Titus Brown to add .clear() method to all
Controls.
* The following ListControl methods have been deprecated:
possible_items
get_item_attrs
set_item_disabled
get_item_disabled
set_single
toggle_single
set
toggle
* The following HTMLForm methods have been deprecated:
possible_items
set_single
toggle_single
set
toggle
* The by_label argument of the following methods has been deprecated:
get_value
set_value
* Added support for setuptools / EasyInstall / Python Eggs.
* Make entitydefs more sane. Expose entitydefs in ParseFile /
ParseResponse functions.

Changes since 0.2.1b:

* Fixes to setup.py &c.
* Follow IE and Firefox on algorithm for choosing MIME boundary --
servers are buggy on this.
* Fix POST multipart/form-data parameter ordering (patch from
Balazs Ree) and ImageControl ordering.
* Fix .fixup() of disabled select with no selected options (John
Wayne).
* Encoding fixes.
* Add BeautifulSoup support (not yet well tested).
* Switch from htmllib to sgmllib.
* Add form name to str(HTMLForm).
* Make parser debugging a bit easier.

Requires Python 2.0 or newer.

ClientForm is a Python module for handling HTML forms on the client
side, useful for parsing HTML forms, filling them in and returning the
completed forms to the server. It developed from a port of Gisle Aas'
Perl module HTML::Form, from the libwww-perl library, but the
interface is not the same.

Simple example:

from urllib2 import urlopen
from ClientForm import ParseResponse

forms = ParseResponse(urlopen("http://www.example.com/form.html"),
backwards_compat=False)
form = forms[0]
print form
form["author"] = "Gisle Aas"

# form.click() returns a urllib2.Request object
# (see HTMLForm.click.__doc__ if you don't have urllib2)
response = urlopen(form.click("Thanks"))

John

Aahz

Hmm, (e-mail address removed), who are you? python-announce moderator? I
didn't put you on my To: line (nor python-list for that matter, but I
guess that's a reasonable place for it to go...).

Also FYI, it ended up going to wwwsearch-general twice, I guess because
the you (or the moderation software) forwarded it there after moderation,
which isn't really necessary.

Huh???

John J. Lee

Sorry. I forgot my reply wouldn't include the headers (should have
hit 'forward' instead of 'reply'.

I sent the message I quoted "To: (e-mail address removed),
(e-mail address removed)". It arrived at the latter
list. A while later, it got moderated for python-announce, and was
sent out like so:

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:25:57 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
From: John J Lee <[email protected]>
To: (e-mail address removed)
Cc: (e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed)
Subject: [wwwsearch-general] python-announce moderation (was: Re: ANN: ClientForm 0.2.2
released)

I wondered where that To: line came from (I don't even know who
(e-mail address removed) is), and why it was sent to wwwsearch-general
again (there was no need, since my original To: line already got it to
that list).

No real harm done, but I'm curious and thought something needed
fixing.

John

Aahz

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 18:25:57 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)
From: John J Lee <[email protected]>
To: (e-mail address removed)
Cc: (e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed)
released)

I wondered where that To: line came from (I don't even know who
(e-mail address removed) is), and why it was sent to wwwsearch-general
again (there was no need, since my original To: line already got it to
that list).

Hmmmm.... hschilling is NOT one of the python-announce moderators, so
zir e-mail setup is probably b0rken, accounting for all the problems you
mentioned. I frequently send e-mail to python-announce, python-list, and
baypiggies with no problems. It's possible that the wwwsearch list is
malfunctioning if hschilling is one of the moderators for that list.

John J. Lee

Hmmmm.... hschilling is NOT one of the python-announce moderators, so

I see.

zir e-mail setup is probably b0rken, accounting for all the problems you
mentioned.

Could be.

I frequently send e-mail to python-announce, python-list, and
baypiggies with no problems. It's possible that the wwwsearch list is
malfunctioning if hschilling is one of the moderators for that list.

No, wwwsearch-general is unmoderated (I'm the administrator of that list).

John