Python doc problem example: gzip module (reprise)

Keith Thompson

Rick Wotnaz said:
I've managed to avoid reading Xah Lee's diatribes for the most
part. Since you included the *WHOLE THING* in your post, I had an
"opportunity" to see what he had to say, and for once I agree with
some of it.

That's fine, but if you're going to post a followup, could you please
limit it to comp.lang.python? There's no hope of getting Xah Lee to
stop posting his rants to irrelevant newsgroups (that's what killfiles
are for), but I doubt that many readers of comp.lang.perl.misc really
want to read about Python documentation -- if they do, they can always
read comp.lang.python.

jmdeschamps

(gulp! red-in-the-face) yes Steve, I meant "gist", sorry if I offended
anyone, specially Fredrik since I was referring to the 'substance' of
his post...certainly not as if it were a 'joke' .

Jean-Marc

Xah Lee

Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
From: "Veli-Pekka Tätilä"
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:25:35 +0200
Subject: Re: Python doc problem example: gzip module (reprise)

Xah said:
Today i need to use Python to compress/decompress gzip files. <snip>
However, scanning the doc after 20 seconds there's no single example
showing how it is used.
jargons of Class, Constructor, Object etc are thrown together with
presumption of reader's expertise of IO programing in Python <snip>

I se the problem now. Perl usually doesn't have that kind of trouble as

there are plenty of example snippets and the synopsis part even before
the
description.

But if you want to bash the Python docs, I'd like to mention that they
are
pretty inaccessible and unmanagable with speech. Here's my post about
it in
comp.langh.python:

http://tinyurl.com/dfrb7

(or search Google Groups with vtatila python)

Though I've carefully explain the problems and provided a number of
solutions, no-one has replied yet. I reckon that, ether people don't
know
what I'm talking about accessibility being such a nieche topic still,
or
else my explanation is all too elaborate or just heavy to read through.

Well, I've tried. Yet another reason to stay with Perl. Whose docs are,
by
the way, very accessible in general.

PS: I won't cross-post as I'm not subscribed to the Python group.
---------------------------

Thank you Veli-Pekka Tätilä for your thoughtful reply.

I have cross posted it for you.

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/

Mike Meyer

Xah Lee said:
Newsgroups: comp.lang.perl.misc
PS: I won't cross-post as I'm not subscribed to the Python group.

Very wisely done. Then from Xah Lee, we get;
I have cross posted it for you.

Proving once again that he's stupider than spam. Please help google
find him that way by adding this link to your pages:

thank you,
<mike

Jeffrey Schwab

Mike said:
Very wisely done. Then from Xah Lee, we get;

Proving once again that he's stupider than spam. Please help google
find him that way by adding this link to your pages:

thank you,
<mike

Ah, but is he stupider spam, spam, spam, spam, bacon, eggs, and spam?