Python installation root directory problem

Matt Leslie

Hi,

I am trying to install python 2.4.1 on a windows XP machine. Whether I
choose to install 'for me' or 'for all users, and no matter where I select
as the root directory, the installer always puts the python root in C:\,
which is obviously a bit messy.

I am running this instalaltion as a slightly restricted non-administrative
user, but I can create the C:\Python24 directory that I specified in the
installation program and put files in it, so I do not think this can be the
reason the installer fails. I have uninstalled python and deleted all
references to it in the registry, then reinstalled, and experienced the same
effect.

Does anyone have any ideas what this might be?

Thanks,
Matt

Matt Leslie

Further diggingappears to show this is an instance of the problem documented
here:

http://tinyurl.com/82dt2

Running msiexec with logging revealed the following lines:

MSI (s) (48:F8) [18:15:47:990]: Ignoring disallowed property X
MSI (s) (48:F8) [18:15:47:990]: Ignoring disallowed property TARGETDIR
MSI (s) (48:F8) [18:15:47:990]: Ignoring disallowed property DLLDIR
MSI (s) (48:F8) [18:15:47:990]: Ignoring disallowed property USERNAME
MSI (s) (48:F8) [18:15:47:990]: Ignoring disallowed property COMPANYNAME
MSI (s) (48:F8) [18:15:47:990]: Ignoring disallowed property SOURCEDIR
MSI (s) (48:F8) [18:15:47:990]: Ignoring disallowed property ROOTDRIVE

Values were not being passed from the UI to the actual installation script
as they were untrusted. This can be resolved as described in the link above
by using SecureCustomProperties. I have therefore submitted this to the
sourceforge bug tracker.

Matt