Python + ioctl + Windows HOWTO??

Javier

Hi all!!

I'm trying to use Python to help in testing software for the Windows
Platform.

The sw we develop at the company I work for sets up quite a number of
"new" device drives in Windows, and as part of the testing process I'd
need to be able to "query" them about their state and suchlike. The
"interface" for doing so involves opening "device files" (of the form
\\.\Device\CDCrypto) and sending them ioctls to query their state.

I've been searching / googling for ioctl, and the only mentions I've
seen are to UNIX-specific modules such as fcntl. My question is, is it
possible to use similar functions / modules in windows? If so, how?

Thanks a lot

Javier

PS: Also, is there any "pre-built" "sw-testing" framework developed in
Python. I'm not refering to "unit testing" for Python code, but a way of
"plugging-on" tests and specifying dependencies so that I'd only have to
worry about what tests to write / how to test things.

Thank,s

JJJ

Thomas Heller

Javier said:
Hi all!!

I'm trying to use Python to help in testing software for the Windows
Platform.

The sw we develop at the company I work for sets up quite a number of
"new" device drives in Windows, and as part of the testing process I'd
need to be able to "query" them about their state and suchlike. The
"interface" for doing so involves opening "device files" (of the form
\\.\Device\CDCrypto) and sending them ioctls to query their state.

I've been searching / googling for ioctl, and the only mentions I've
seen are to UNIX-specific modules such as fcntl. My question is, is it
possible to use similar functions / modules in windows? If so, how?

Thanks a lot

On windows, ioctl is spelled DeviceIoControl (which is wrapped by Mark
Hammonds win32 extensions, or you use ctypes).

Thomas