Python + ioctl + Windows HOWTO??

Discussion in 'Python' started by Javier, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. Javier

    Javier Guest

    Hi all!!

    I'm trying to use Python to help in testing software for the Windows
    Platform.

    The sw we develop at the company I work for sets up quite a number of
    "new" device drives in Windows, and as part of the testing process I'd
    need to be able to "query" them about their state and suchlike. The
    "interface" for doing so involves opening "device files" (of the form
    \\.\Device\CDCrypto) and sending them ioctls to query their state.

    I've been searching / googling for ioctl, and the only mentions I've
    seen are to UNIX-specific modules such as fcntl. My question is, is it
    possible to use similar functions / modules in windows? If so, how?

    Thanks a lot

    Javier

    PS: Also, is there any "pre-built" "sw-testing" framework developed in
    Python. I'm not refering to "unit testing" for Python code, but a way of
    "plugging-on" tests and specifying dependencies so that I'd only have to
    worry about what tests to write / how to test things.

    Thank,s

    JJJ

    Javier, Oct 30, 2003

  2. On windows, ioctl is spelled DeviceIoControl (which is wrapped by Mark
    Hammonds win32 extensions, or you use ctypes).

    Thomas

    Thomas Heller, Oct 30, 2003