"Python" is not a good name, should rename to "Athon"

Bjoern Schliessmann

Marc said:
That name is already taken in the programming language domain.
There's a Tiny C compiler for 6510 based targets:

Uh, why don't take one of his aliases? Let's call Python from now on
Tlahuizcalpantecuhtli. The scripts' extension could be ".tlapanli".

Regards,

Björn

George Sakkis

I know this because I've been through it myself. When I tell people
that I use Python, I often qualify it by pointing out that it is used
extensively at Google. In other words, I'm banking on the reputation
of Google to offset the goofiness of the "Python" name.

Come to think of it, maybe it should be called "Googlang" or "Googon"?

I see, so Python has to somehow offset the "goofiness" of its name
while Google can rest on its reputation. Never occured to you that the
goofiness of the name "Google" is at least an order of magnitude
greater than Python. And FYI, Google didn't start out with the
popularity it enjoys today, it gained it *despite* the silly name.
Thanks God it was created by geeks and not clueless PHBs like those
that dismiss Python for its name.

George

Gabriel Genellina

En Tue, 04 Dec 2007 14:49:36 -0300, Dennis Lee Bieber
How about the cognate: Kulkukan?

You meant Kukulkan. If you got it wrong from "Apocalypto" (Mel Gibson),
well, it's just one of many errors in the film...

Hendrik van Rooyen

Dennis Lee Bieber said:
Euler? (most non-tech types would probably think that's a reference
to someone who squirts lubricants into the workings of a steam engine)

You have just destroyed a long held image in my mind with this
horrible homophone - I used to conjure up images of a wise owl.

- Hendrik

Boris Borcic

Russ said:
If I had invented Python, I would have called it Newton or Euler,
arguably the greatest scientist and mathematician ever, respectively.

This makes your taste on the matter dubious.

Such choice of a name implies either a claim to the fame of the Person that's
devoid of substance. Or else a degree of carelessness about name capture that
casts doubt on the quality of the language design. Or else a claim by the
language designers/namers to themselves borrow from the Person while destining
the language to grunt practitioners not expected to have any (further) need to
refer to said Person.

Not serious - not even serious marketing, IMHO.

Adrian Cherry

ups.com:
Speaking of stupid names, what does "C++" mean? I think it's
the grade you get when you just barely missed a "B--". But I
can't deny that it *is* good for searching.

For that matter C# is no better, I thought that # was pronounced
hash, I still refer to C# as C-hash.

Adrian

Robert Boyd

I see, so Python has to somehow offset the "goofiness" of its name
while Google can rest on its reputation. Never occured to you that the
goofiness of the name "Google" is at least an order of magnitude
greater than Python.

And it never occurred to him that Guido could have named the
programming language Google, and later, the search-engine guys could
have founded a company named Python. He'd be defending his choice of
programming in the Google language by pointing to the reputation of
the Python company, while complaining to a list that Google was a
goofy name.

I'll bet he uses the word "google" as a verb yet doesn't realize how
goofy that sounds to someone unfamiliar with Google? Oh well, I
suppose he'll never try programming in Caml, he'd be too embarrassed
to tell anyone.

Piet van Oostrum

Adrian Cherry said:
AC> For that matter C# is no better, I thought that # was pronounced
AC> hash, I still refer to C# as C-hash.

Are you musically illiterate?

Dennis Lee Bieber

You meant Kukulkan. If you got it wrong from "Apocalypto" (Mel Gibson),
well, it's just one of many errors in the film...

Blast... No, not Gibson... But I had been concerned of where the "l"
went, so had entered my spelling into Google and did get a few links off
the top that referenced the Maya civilization -- so got complacent and
didn't check the other spelling...

Given the ambiguity of pronouncing "Athon" (a-thon or ath-on) I'd
propose the name "Athos" which would permit a transition name
of "Pathos".

Of course, ten years later, someone would complain that "Athos" is a
"Dumas" name for a computer language. <G>
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Dennis Lee Bieber

Are you musically illiterate?

I wouldn't be that harsh... Though I've never heard # as "hash"...
Pound, Number, and Sharp are the uses I've seen applied to it...

If I hadn't been familiar with music notation, C# would have been
C-pound or C-number (or worse, C-octothorpe) [Interestingly, wikipedia
differentiates the "pound" mark two horizontals with two forward
slants, from the musical sharp -- two verticals with two rising
"horizontals"]
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/

Dennis Lee Bieber

Python programmer and never heard of the hashbang? :)
If you refer to that header that is so ubiquitous on UNIX scripts,
I've always seen that pair contracted as "shebang", short for
"shell-bang" I presume, though maybe an attempt to get a cleaner flow
than "shabang" (sharp-bang)...

Most of my stuff has been on Windows, where the #! shell header is
meaningless, and I haven't needed the encoding header either...