Python + Lisp integration?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Simo Melenius, Dec 29, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I'm wondering (after a bit of googling) whether there exists a Python
    binding to any open source Lisp environment (like librep or some
    Scheme or Common Lisp implementation) that could be recommended for
    non-toy use?

    My intention would be to use the Lisp environment to augment and help
    my Python programming (and/or conversely: have access to the wealth of
    Python libraries and Python code from a lispy language), which yields
    at least the following requirements:

    - the type and runtime environment system would need to be quite
    transparently integrated, e.g. being able to use (pass, call,
    set/get attr) Python objects in Lisp and vice versa with minimum
    hassle

    - the performance should match at least that of Python's. That
    probably requires a native interpreter, although the ability to
    compile Lisp to Python bytecode could do (if the lispy language
    could be efficiently implemented in the Python bytecode)

    There are many Scheme/Lisp interpreters written in Python, but those
    I've found and looked at I consider to be more of proof of concepts.
    Nesting different interpreters costs probably an order of magnitude in
    speed.

    Simo Melenius, Dec 29, 2004

  2. Simo Melenius

    Arthur Guest

    Not sure this is going to help much,

    but Lush - Lisp Universal Shell - is mature and has bindings to the
    Python C API.

    http://lush.sourceforge.net/lush-manual/f0288067.html

    The bindings are specific to Python22. I had trouble getting all the
    demos working against Python23.

    Art

    Arthur, Dec 29, 2004

  3. Simo Melenius

    Fuzzyman Guest

    When I looked for one I oculdn't find one. As Common Lisp generally
    runs *considerably* faster than Python it could be a useful thing to
    have. (Writing python extensions in CLISP would be more 'Pythonic' than
    writing them in C ?). A two way binding to GNU CLISP would seem a
    sensible one to implement.

    Don't think it's already been done though.
    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Dec 29, 2004
  4. Simo Melenius

    Erno Kuusela Guest

    Erno Kuusela, Dec 29, 2004
  5. Lush looks like a very interesting project on its own, too, and seems
    to have a load of bindings to other libraries too÷÷. (Even better if it
    was to support Python 2.3/2.4 once again in the future).

    br,

    Simo Melenius, Dec 30, 2004
  6. Thanks, this was a good link! Logix looks like an interesting project,
    really, and I think I'll at least study its internals myself to shed
    light to how it uses the Python compiler. Looks like something to hack
    on.

    br,

    Simo Melenius, Dec 30, 2004
  7. Dunno about non-toy uses, but if you want program your emacs with
    Python, there is pymacs available :)

    Peter Dembinski, Dec 31, 2004